Interview with the vampire by Anne Rice

Interview with the vampire (original 1976; edition 1997)

by Anne Rice

Title:Interview with the vampire
Authors:Anne Rice
Info:New York: Ballantine Books, 1997, c1976. 342 p. ; 18 cm.
Tags:fiction, horror, read, vampires

Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (1976)

Dracula by Bram Stoker (becca58203, Morteana)
    Sunglasses After Dark by Nancy A. Collins (VictoriaPL)
    Agyar by Steven Brust (VictoriaPL)
    VictoriaPL: The diary of a vampire. A bit more modern than Rice's tale.
    The Passion by Donna Boyd (VictoriaPL)
    The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause (kaledrina)
    The Thief of Time by John Boyne (Booksloth)
    Not Safe For Vampires by William Frost (LostVampire)
    LostVampire: Thomas Watson becomes a vampire during the Civil War. The YA fantasy fiction novel NOT SAFE FOR VAMPIRES is a good read. It is only 128 pages, but it is not light reading, You really have to follow the beginning - once you understand the style of writing (there are flashback scenes) you will really enjoy the journey. The story is filled with history. For example, Africatown and the Clotilde ship are a real part of history (I googled it). Also, the character Captain Thomas Watson was really a soldier for the Union Army. I believe you will enjoy this book and add it to your library as well.… (more)
    Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (letsdisco2373)

English (226)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (234)
Read this my Freshman year of high school- just when the world is nearly at its most dramatic *EVER* and you empathize so much with Louis and Lestat that you want to *BE* just like them and Anne Rice is a genius for being so soulful and truthful and no one else could possibly underSTAND your pain and anguish except these glorious, beautiful creatures of the night.

And then you watch Buffy for several years and realize that Spike AND Angel would have laughed themselves *sick* over Louis' navel-gazing ("Dude, if you're so depressed over being a vampire, just go knock on Faith's door and flash some fang- she'll dust you in a New York minute!") and rolled their eyes over Lestat's psycho-babble.

But, still, it captures that "Beautiful/Lonely/Deadly" kind of feeling- and many of today's ParaRom books owe their very existence to this book and its sequels. ( )
1 vote DeborahJ2016 | Oct 26, 2016 |
not much on vampires but this was ok ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 1, 2016 |
I just reread this book after first having read and loved it over 20 years ago and I think I gained more from it as a mature reader than I did when I originally read it and was a lot younger. Outside of the classic vampire novel Dracula by Bram Stoker, this is the quintessential vampire story which is a modern classic and will undoubtedly become a classic of the genre 100 years from now and beyond. Rice's lush prose takes you into the world of vampires from centuries ago where she skillfully delves into the loneliness, ambivalence and detachment which comes with the territory of having to face an eternity of immortality and tells how the vampire protagonists deal with their fate going from mortal beings to evil preternatural bloodsucking killers. Her three main vampire protagonists--Louis, Lestat and Claudia are richly crafted and unforgettable. A must read for any lover of vampire/supernatural/Gothic fiction. ( )
  seekingbooks3 | Sep 15, 2016 |
Like I wrote earlier in posts and have mentioned in my profile, I usually avoid vampire book, because I'm not really attracted by the description of the things vampires do.
Since this one has a spot on the 1001 list, I thought I'd give itba try despite all and am I glad I did!

I liked the book a lot. It had so much more in it than just vampire stuff, that I am actually sad the book has ended. I had a great time reading it. I became quite attached to Louis in particular, a bit less to Lestat, Armand and Claudia, but they were interesting too.

I'm not sure if I'll read the other books from this series. WhatbI'm afraid to find is a (partial) retelling of this book and that's not what I want. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Sep 3, 2016 |
So I read this book, and it really just wasn't as amazing as I thought it would be. It's a vastly popular book -- and I have a feeling it was incredibly well-written for its time.

... but it really just didn't grab me. I found myself forcing myself to read through it. (I have a hard time putting down books, especially if they're so well-known.)

I found Luis to be a little bit of a flat character, and Lestat didn't interest me very much. I liked some of the description in the text, and I liked how Rice was able to set scenes and develop an atmosphere.

I enjoyed the ending too, but, to be honest, I thought the book was going to impress me a lot more.

Such a shame! I know lots of people love it. c: ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
The publicity tells us Rice is "a dazzling storyteller." But there is no story here, only a series of sometimes effective but always essentially static tableaus out of Roger Corman films, and some self-conscious soliloquizing out of Spiderman comics, all wrapped in a ballooning, pompous language. Maybe the movie will be better, but the book is too superficial, too impersonal and too obviously made, to touch the sources of real terror and feeling.
The author's seriousness is honest, I think, but misplaced; perhaps a bit more Grand Guignol elegance was called for father than incessant philosophizing. Immersed in the book's fetid, morbid atmosphere - like being in a hothouse full of decaying funeral lilies - one longs to get out in the garden.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Richard F. Lingeman (pay site) (Apr 30, 1976)

Anne Riceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Niffenegger, AudreyPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spagnol, Luigisecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Vampire Chronicles (omnibus) by Anne Rice

10 Anne Rice Books: Interview with the Vampire, The Feast of All Saints, Tale of the Body Thief, Lasher, Taltos, Servant by Anne Rice

9 Book Collection of Anne Rice: The Queen of the Damned, The Tale of the Body Thief, Interview With The Vampire, Memnoch by Anne Rice

The Vampire Chronicles: Interview with the Vampire,The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned (Books 1-3) by Anne Rice

THE Vampire Chronicles - 5 Titles - Interview with the Vampire - The Vampire Lestat - The Queen of the Damned - The Tale by Anne Rice

Collector's Set (5-Paperback Books): Taltos, The Tale Of The Body Thief, Queen Of The Damned, The Vampire Lestat, Interview With The Vampire by Anne Rice

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

For Stan Rice, Carole Malkin,
and Alice O'Brien Borchardt
"I see..." said the vampire thoughtfully, and slowly he walked across the room towards the window.
I never knew what life was until it ran in a red gush over my lips, my hands!

This is the book that started it all. We are in a small room with the vampire, face to face, as he speaks--as he pours out the hypnotic, shocking, moving, and erotically charged confessions of his first two hundred years as one of the living dead.
Vampires sit and mope.
Like popular Twilight books.
But with denser prose.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345337662, Mass Market Paperback)

In the now-classic novel Interview with the Vampire, Anne Rice refreshed the archetypal vampire myth for a late-20th-century audience. The story is ostensibly a simple one: having suffered a tremendous personal loss, an 18th-century Louisiana plantation owner named Louis Pointe du Lac descends into an alcoholic stupor. At his emotional nadir, he is confronted by Lestat, a charismatic and powerful vampire who chooses Louis to be his fledgling. The two prey on innocents, give their "dark gift" to a young girl, and seek out others of their kind (notably the ancient vampire Armand) in Paris. But a summary of this story bypasses the central attractions of the novel. First and foremost, the method Rice chose to tell her tale--with Louis' first-person confession to a skeptical boy--transformed the vampire from a hideous predator into a highly sympathetic, seductive, and all-too-human figure. Second, by entering the experience of an immortal character, one raised with a deep Catholic faith, Rice was able to explore profound philosophical concerns--the nature of evil, the reality of death, and the limits of human perception--in ways not possible from the perspective of a more finite narrator.

While Rice has continued to investigate history, faith, and philosophy in subsequent Vampire novels (including The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned, The Tale of the Body Thief, Memnoch the Devil, and The Vampire Armand), Interview remains a treasured masterpiece. It is that rare work that blends a childlike fascination for the supernatural with a profound vision of the human condition. --Patrick O'Kelley

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:59 -0400)

We are in a small room with the vampire, face to face, as he speaks--as he pours out the hypnotic, shocking, moving, and erotically charged confessions of his first two hundred years as one of the living dead. The time is now. We are in a small room with the vampire, face to face, as he speaks--as he pours out the hypnotic, shocking, moving, and erotically charged confessions of his first two hundred years as one of the living dead. . . He speaks quietly, plainly, even gently . . . carrying us back to the night when he departed human existence as heir--young, romantic, cultivated--to a great Louisiana plantation, and was inducted by the radiant and sinister Lestat into the other, the "endless," life . . . learning first to sustain himself on the blood of cocks and rats caught in the raffish streets of New Orleans, then on the blood of human beings . . . to the years when, moving away from his final human ties under the tutelage of the hated yet necessary Lestat, he gradually embraces the habits, hungers, feelings of vampirism: the detachment, the hardened will, the "superior" sensual pleasures. He carries us back to the crucial moment in a dark New Orleans street when he finds the exquisite lost young child Claudia, wanting not to hurt but to comfort her, struggling against the last residue of human feeling within him. We see how Claudia in turn is made a vampire--all her passion and intelligence trapped forever in the body of a small child--and how they arrive at their passionate and dangerous alliance, their French Quarter life of opulence: delicate Grecian statues, Chinese vases, crystal chandeliers, a butler, a maid, a stone nymph in the hidden garden court . . . night curving into night with their vampire senses heightened to the beauty of the world, thirsting for the beauty of death--a constant stream of vulnerable strangers awaiting them below . . . We see them joined against the envious, dangerous Lestat, embarking on a perilous search across Europe for others like themselves, desperate to discover the world they belong to, the ways of survival, to know what they are and why, where they came from, what their future can be . . . We follow them across Austria and Transylvania, encountering their kind in forms beyond their wildest imagining . . . to Paris, where footsteps behind them, in exact rhythm with their own, steer them to the doors of the Theatre des Vampires--the beautiful, lewd, and febrile mime theatre whose posters of penny-dreadful vampires at once mask and reveal the horror within . . . to their meeting with the eerily magnetic Armand, who brings them, at last, into intimacy with a whole brilliant and decadent society of vampires, an intimacy that becomes sudden terror when they are compelled to confront what they have feared and fled . . . In its unceasing flow of spellbinding storytelling, of danger and flight, of loyalty and treachery, Interview with the Vampire bears witness of a literary imagination of the first order.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,827,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible