The First Four Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder

The First Four Years (1971)

by Laura Ingalls Wilder

English (36)  Finnish (1)  All languages (37)
46 months - What a sad ending to the series. If you are looking for "Happily Ever After", then stop at "These Golden Happy Years". In fact this book probably should have been placed with the other later ones as a stand alone because it is written very differently, or at least was edited differently or not at all. It also recaps part of the book before from an adult and more personal perspective. I actually liked that because finally we could see that her and Almanzo actually had real conversations on their outings. In the previous book it seemed as though the interest was always one sided with Almanzo putting forth all the effort. This book really made you realize how very hard a farmers life was with the uncertainty of the elements and just think this was way before the Dust Bowl years! And how crazy optimistic farmers are, always hoping that next year they'll have that bumper crop that will pay all their debts and make them rich. What a hard life. Did it not seem surprising that the baby they lost was never mentioned by name? I suppose I should be more surprised that it was included as Mary's fever and loss of sight and Ma's loss of baby Charles was not chronicled and only mentioned after the fact. All in all we still enjoy learning the story of their first four years even if it ended on a very depressing note. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
I wasn't as impressed with her stories of life as grown-up -- suppose because I was a child. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
The last book in Laura's series wasn't published until after the death of both Laura and her daughter, Rose. It picks up where These Happy Golden Years leaves off and tells of the beginning of Laura and Almanzo (Manly) Wilder's marriage. They decide to farm for a few years, and a whole manner of things go wrong with their crop. It's pretty depressing, really, but they manage to be happy and hopeful all the same.
This entire series is important for young readers because of its perspective and window into the daily life of those living on the American frontier in the late 1800's. Comparisons and contrasts can be made to our society and way of life and discussions can be had about which aspects are better or worse. Appreciation of the relative comfort of the average person's life today due to technological advances can be had, as well as an analysis of whether comfort = happiness, or even correlates. ( )
  EmScape | Mar 28, 2015 |
Laura is a smart, beautiful and quirky young lady. She lives with her husband Manly in a quaint little house in the country. In the beginning, Laura and Manly get married, oh how I love it when two people get together in love. In the country Laura and Manly have to face lots of hardships, like wild storms and even a new baby! Can Laura and Manly make it through? You'll have to read to find out. I really like this book. I like it because it shows that love and hard work will always prevail. Readers who want something down to earth but still exciting will love this book. ( )
  KatiePU | Jan 25, 2015 |
This book may be of interest to Laura Ingalls Wilder fans, but I don't know if the audience its written for (Grades 3-7) would be as interested in it as Laura is now an adult and the only children are babies. I don't know if children these days like historical fiction and only read it if assigned to in school for a book report. I think I would have rather had her write some adult novels about her adult years. ( )
  eliorajoy | Sep 23, 2014 |

Laura Ingalls Wilderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lane, Rose Wildersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The stars hung luminous and low over the prairie.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006440031X, Paperback)

Laura Ingalls Wilder is beginning life with her new husband, Almanzo, in their own little house. Laura is a young pioneer wife now, and must work hard with Almanzo, farming the land around their home on the South Dakota prairie. Soon their baby daughter, Rose, is born, and the young family must face the hardships and triumphs encountered by so many American pioneers.

And so Laura Ingalls Wilder's adventure as a little pioneer girl ends, and her new life as a pioneer wife and mother begins. The nine Little House books have been cherished by generations of readers as both a unique glimpse into America's frontier past and a heartwarming, unforgettable story.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:07 -0400)

During their first four years of marriage, Laura and Almanzo Wilder have a child and fight a losing battle in their attempts to succeed at farming on the South Dakota prairie.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,899,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible