The First Four Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder
During their first four years of marriage, Laura and Almanzo Wilder have a child and fight a losing battle in their attempts to succeed at farming on the South Dakota prairie.

English (51)  Finnish (1)  All languages (52)
5.8, 4-8
  CurrColl | Sep 12, 2019 |
The final book in the series is very short and covers only a brief glimpse into Laura’s new life with Manly and her daughter Rose. Their struggles to get a successful crop, avoid storms, and survive blizzards makes this book a bit bleaker than the others. I missed scenes with Pa and Ma. The pace also felt rushed, like she was skimming over their lives. There were memorable scenes, like Rose’s birth, a visit from a group a Indians, etc. As always, her simple descriptions of their life were my favorite parts. The book feels a bit like an after thought and I almost wish the series had ended with These Happy Golden Years.

*After doing a bit of research, I found that this final book was published almost 30 years after the rest of the series. ( )
  bookworm12 | Sep 10, 2019 |
I love this series!!! These are my favorites!!! ( )
  dbailey25 | Feb 24, 2019 |
This book tells the story of Laura and Manly's wedding and the establishment and destruction of two homesteads; one by fire and one by drought. It also is the story of the birth of their daughter, Rose as well as their son, who only lived a few months. Just great reading at any age! 144 pages ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | Oct 12, 2018 |
This book starts very differently than all the rest of the ones in the series! So much so, that it almost feels like a different author to me! The first 14-15 pages of this book are basically a repeat from the end of the last book, with some different details, but not enough to warrant the summary. And the author didn't do this with the other books, so what gives? Also, as this is also the shortest book in the series, it seems odd to give so much space to material that we've already read! AND, she writes her husband's name as "Manly" and not "Almanzo" as she used in the other books. "Manly"? I don't think that name was used at all before! So strange... I'd also like to point out that the phrase, "The rich get their ice in the summer, the poor get theirs in the winter", gets used so many times that the actual story is even shorter! What the heck?

This book ends the series with a big old thud. It is interesting to know what happened, but the writing is so brief, and the detail so sparse, that it seems like such a let down. In one instance, there is no mention of Laura's being pregnant until the day she gives birth! Again, I don't know the actual details of this book, but it almost reads like an outline of ideas for an actual full length Little House book! I definitely became a fan of Little House from reading this series, but again, I feel pretty let down by this last installment. ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jun 11, 2018 |

Laura Ingalls Wilderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wilder, Laura Ingallsmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lane, Rose Wildersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The stars hung luminous and low over the prairie.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,197,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible