The Five Chinese Brothers by Claire Huchet…

The Five Chinese Brothers (1938)

by Claire Huchet Bishop

Other authors: Kurt Wiese (Illustrator)

The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship by Arthur Ransome (raizel)
    raizel: both stories have people with unusual powers

English (41)  French (2)  All languages (43)
This book was about a brother who was going to go to prison for a crime. Each brother had somewhat of a super power. The
  sparra2 | Sep 27, 2016 |
An enchanting picture book. I was able to obtain a copy with the original watercolors, although I miss the original mustard yellow book cover; I don't at all like the new cover which is too bright and "busy" for a simple story like this. ( )
  Diane-bpcb | Feb 4, 2016 |
I cannot count how many times I have read this story, be it to myself as a kid, to my kids as a parent, or to students as a volunteer. ( )
  ER1116 | Jan 13, 2016 |
this book is about five Chinese bothers, all of whom look exactly alike and have a special "power" and after one of the brother's powers get him in trouble, he switches places with the second brother to avoid his death sentence and then second brother switches places with the next brother to avoid the new death sentence and so on. This book really has no lesson to be learned other than to be witty to avoid a bad situation. I would recommend this book to fourth grade and older because it is a bit gruesome. I would probably only read this book to my class if I wanted a fun, interesting book to read. The illustrations are done in colored pencil and are very simple and old looking. I would definitely keep this book in my classroom because it is so interesting and clever, but it really has no message or lesson. ( )
  hallen11 | Dec 1, 2015 |
Well written fairy tale of five brothers with different unique super-natural abilities. ( )
  daveman1973 | Apr 29, 2015 |

Bishop, Claire Huchetprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wiese, KurtIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

To my father who made me love China and To my mother a born story-teller
Once apon a time there were Five Chinese Brothers and they all looked exactly alike.
We have tried to get rid of you in every way possible and somehow it cannot be done. It must be that you are innocent.

This is the tale of five extraordinary Chinese brothers who use their gifts to save one brother's life. As the first brother is accused of murder and sentenced to death, each of his brothers take his place so that the executions cannot be carried out.

Five brothers who look just alike outwit the executioner by using their extraordinary individual qualities.

45 wanted2 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,183,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible