The Five Chinese Brothers by Claire Huchet…

The Five Chinese Brothers (1938)

by Claire Huchet Bishop

Other authors: Kurt Wiese (Illustrator)

The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship by Arthur Ransome (raizel)
    raizel: both stories have people with unusual powers

English (43)  French (2)  All languages (45)
abstract thinking, lots of metaphors, but simple read. kind of aggressive. teaches brothers a lesson if they do something wrong, but shows innocence too. bazaar
  Jennamg123 | Oct 13, 2016 |
I enjoyed the idea of this book but I did not like how it was illustrated. First, this book presents many stereotypes from the beginning. The front page shows the five Chinese brothers and every one of them looks exactly the same. Also, they are all yellow, which is another stereotype made up to degrade the Asian culture. The book is about five Chinese brothers who each have a special strength to them. One can stretch his legs as long as he wants. The other brother can't be burned while another brother has a iron neck. Finally, one can swallow the sea and the last brother could hold his breath for however long he wanted. The idea of the book is very interesting and children love this book I am sure because I too enjoyed the idea that went behind it, however the stereotypes presented in this book are far too insulting to ever want to read this to any class I have. I am giving this book a 3 out of 5 stars because I enjoyed the supernatural part of the story but I did not like the racism it presented. ( )
  tsavan1 | Oct 4, 2016 |
This book was about a brother who was going to go to prison for a crime. Each brother had somewhat of a super power. Each brother takes the others place while the town tries to kill them for the crime. Finally, after the fifth brother would not die, they let the brother go home. Did not particularly like this book because of the depiction is puts on the Asian culture. It shows all five brothers looking exactly the same, which is an Asian stereotype. The book depicts the Asian brothers with a yellow tint to their skin as well. All the pages were boring, as they all had the same three colors, which were black, yellow, and an off-white. The story's overall plot also did not appeal to me. I would not know how to incorporate this book into my classroom. ( )
  sparra2 | Sep 27, 2016 |
An enchanting picture book. I was able to obtain a copy with the original watercolors, although I miss the original mustard yellow book cover; I don't at all like the new cover which is too bright and "busy" for a simple story like this. ( )
  Diane-bpcb | Feb 4, 2016 |
I cannot count how many times I have read this story, be it to myself as a kid, to my kids as a parent, or to students as a volunteer. ( )
  ER1116 | Jan 13, 2016 |

Bishop, Claire Huchetprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wiese, KurtIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

To my father who made me love China and To my mother a born story-teller
Once apon a time there were Five Chinese Brothers and they all looked exactly alike.
We have tried to get rid of you in every way possible and somehow it cannot be done. It must be that you are innocent.

This is the tale of five extraordinary Chinese brothers who use their gifts to save one brother's life. As the first brother is accused of murder and sentenced to death, each of his brothers take his place so that the executions cannot be carried out.

Five brothers who look just alike outwit the executioner by using their extraordinary individual qualities.

45 wanted2 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,759,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible