The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams

The Glass Menagerie (original 1945; edition 1999)

by Tennessee Williams, Robert Bray (Introduction)

Member:meriadoc
Title:The Glass Menagerie
Authors:Tennessee Williams
Other authors:Robert Bray (Introduction)
Info:New Directions (1999), Edition: 5, Paperback, 128 pages
Rating:**1/2

The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams (1945)

Recently added byyhhapbx, private library, Jaixom, gpartha, elvisettey, Fr.Hannah, Tom.Brown371, hmswhite

English (37)  Spanish (1)  All languages (38)
  kutheatre | Jun 7, 2015 |
I love this play, but I hate it because I was that painfully shy girl who lived in her own world and it just felt like I was reading about myself that existed a few years ago, luckily I'm not like that anymore. The characters were great for the story Amanda, Laura and Tom don't seem like people who would come from the same family, but then you see how they interact and see why there is tension. The thing that I didn't like was how over the top descriptive Williams made it, sure it's great for visualizations and understanding the characters, but I would much rather learned about the characters by reading their dialog and actions instead of being told in the beginning who was who and everything about their personality. With that said, I am surprised how there are things that can be interpreted differently by people, usually when the characters are pinned down with straight forward descriptions, there isn't much wiggle room for thought on the plot. Whether or not Tom was selfish, I thought for sure, Williams would either make it clear which way he was, but left it open. ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | May 14, 2015 |
Had to read this for school and I don't know why they insisted on us reading all the literature of the era I hate so much. But they did. What I don't get about this play is the weird screen with the symbolic pictures. It's supposed to be a memory, does the author have such a symbolic memory screen in his head? I don't like obvious symbolism, this was about as obvious as you can get. The story was the same bland, bleak, "were so disillusioned" story of the era. Ugh. The one thing I did like was the name. "The glass menagerie" just sounds pleasing. ( )
  locriian | Oct 27, 2014 |
Highly symbolic yet human. Laura is certainly the tragic character ... unable to spread her wings due to the dominance and overbearing attitude of a well-meaning mother, she is allowed to glimpse another world in which she is a whole person only to have it snatched from her. Truly tragic. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 19, 2014 |
I read this for my Classics Book Group. It was interesting to read a play for the group. There was only one time that I really enjoyed this play. That time was when my friend, Mary Jo directed it. For the first time I was able to see the human side of Amanda. I was very impressed. In the past this character had seemed like a cartoon of the evil mother. I'm very glad I had a chance to see this perspective.

I hadn't read Glass Menagerie since high school. I found it much more interesting this time. This edition had some interesting background in the introduction and afterward. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |

Tennessee Williamsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kushner, TonyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nobody, not even the rain, has such small hands. -e.e. cummings
The Wingfield apartment is the rear of the building, one of those vast hive-like conglomerations of cellular living-units that flower as warty growths in overcrowded urban centers of lower middle-class population and are symtomatic of the impulse of this largest and fundamentally enslaved section of American society to avoid fluidity and differentiation and to exist and function as one interfused mass of automatism.
You are the only young man that I know of who ignores the fact that the future becomes the present, the present becomes the past, and the past turns into everlasting regret if you don't plan for it!
This work refers to separate editions of The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams. Scholarly editions that do contain the complete text of the play, in addition to critical commentary, belong here. Please do not combine with adaptations, movie versions, York notes or omnibus editions that also contain other plays.

No play in the modern theatre has so captured the imagination and heart of the American public as Tennessee Williams's The Glass Menagerie.

Menagerie was Williams's first popular success and launched the brilliant, if somewhat controversial, career of our pre-eminent lyric playwright. Since its premiere in Chicago in 1944, with the legendary Laurette Taylor in the role of Amanda, the play has been the bravura piece for great actresses from Jessica Tandy to Joanne Woodward, and is studied and performed in classrooms and theatres around the world. The Glass Menagerie (in the reading text the author preferred) is now available only in its New Directions Paperbook edition. A new introduction by prominent Williams scholar Robert Bray, editor of The Tennessee Williams Annual Review, reappraises the play more than half a century after it won the New York Drama Critics Circle Award: "More than fifty years after telling his story of a family whose lives form a triangle of quiet desperation, Williams's mellifluous voice still resonates deeply and universally." This edition of The Glass Menagerie also includes Williams's essay on the impact of sudden fame on a struggling writer, "The Catastrophe of Success," as well as a short section of Williams's own "Production Notes." The cover features the classic line drawing by Alvin Lustig, originally done for the 1949 New Directions edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:59 -0400)

The only single edition now available of this American classic about a mother obsessed with her disabled daughter.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,073,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible