The Lambs of London by Peter Ackroyd

The Lambs of London (edition 2005)

by Peter Ackroyd

Member:iansales
Title:The Lambs of London
Authors:Peter Ackroyd
Info:Vintage Books (2005), Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***
Tags:novel, historical, reprint, paperback

The Lambs of London by Peter Ackroyd

Orlando by Virginia Woolf (themulhern)
    themulhern: Both books survey English literature through the stories of individuals.

English (33)  Spanish (1)  All languages (34)
"Why, this is a treasure, Mr Ireland. It was once owned by William Shakespeare", 30 March 2016

This review is from: The Lambs of London (Hardcover)
Set at the beginning of the 19th century - not so vastly long ago, yet long enough that antiquarians of the time might have Elizabethan documents among their treasures. In this most enjoyable fiction, Ackroyd conflates two true stories: that of Charles and Mary Lamb, academic siblings living a stifling life with their senile father and authorative mother. And William Ireland: employed in his family bookshop and, like Mary, feeling downtrodden by his parent. Until one day he comes into possession of some writings, including unpublished works,by Shakespeare...
Although the Lambs and Ireland never actually had any dealings with one another, this makes for a great read that really transports you back to London of that era. ( )
  starbox | Mar 30, 2016 |
Really 2 and a half stars. This book is supposed to be about Charles and Mary Lamb living at home with their parents but most of the book focuses on a new-found play reportedly written by William Shakespeare. It was a bit of a snoozer and frankly, I had difficulty keeping my mind on the audio. Neither Charles nor Mary were appealing characters and the book is full of insipid conversation such as:

William: "I have found it. I have found a new play. It was supposed long lost but now it has been found."
Mary: "I believe I know what you are saying."

Really? You believe you know? Because it seemed quite clear. I expected better from Ackroyd. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
This didn't work for me, either as a novel or a fictionalized account of real events, and I'm not sure which one it was. Okay, I just leafed through and found it is meant to be a work of fiction (but with real life characters). I had a number of problems. The first was that I never really figured out when it took place. I know I should know when Charles Lamb lived and I could sort it out but I would have like a few clues, here and there, in the text. Eventually I found some mention of 200 years after Shakespeare but I never felt settled into any time period. Clearly, the author knows a great deal of historical detail but it doesn't flow easily into the narrative. Secondly were two very brief but quite graphic sex scenes that added absolutely nothing but shock value. They didn't advance the plot or develop any characters and appeared to be dropped in at random. Finally, the whole plot line simply petered out in the last few chapters. There was some time spent introducing an array of characters but, once the deception of William Ireland became clear, there wasn't much left to do and the author just wrapped up the loose ends as if it were a biography and that was it. I found it all a very unsatisfying read.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
  jll1976 | Oct 2, 2013 |
Engaging. Favorite quote: "I cannot see the point of doing this comedy," Mary said, if there is to be giggling all the time." ( )
  nlgeorge | Sep 22, 2013 |
'I loath the stench of horses.'

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0099472090, Paperback)

Mary Lamb is confined by the restrictions of domesticity: her father is losing his mind, her mother watchful and hostile. The great solace of her life is her brother Charles, an aspiring writer. It is no surprise when Mary falls for the bookseller’s son, antiquarian William Ireland, from whom Charles has purchased a book. But this is no ordinary book — it once belonged to William Shakespeare himself. And William Ireland with his green eyes and red hair is no ordinary young man.

In The Lambs of London, Peter Ackroyd brilliantly creates an urban world of scholars and entrepreneurs, a world in which a clever son will stop at nothing to impress his showman father, and no one knows quite what to believe. Ingenious and vividly alive, The Lambs of London is a poignant, gripping novel of betrayal and deceit.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:01 -0400)

For bored siblings Charles and Mary Lamb, the works of Shakespeare furnish a respite from the boredom and domesticity of their lives, until William Ireland, an antiquarian bookseller, claims to possess a long-lost Shakespearean play.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,166,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible