The Hat by Jan Brett

The Hat

by Jan Brett

2,191732,962 (4.07)4
animals (223) AR 2.6 (16) board book (31) Brett (29) children (29) children's (51) children's book (13) children's books (11) children's fiction (11) children's literature (11) Christmas (17) clothes (20) clothing (45) dogs (13) fantasy (12) farm (32) farm animals (44) fiction (77) folktales (16) hat (46) hats (60) hedgehogs (70) J (15) Jan Brett (138) January (20) picture book (131) pigs (14) seasons (39) snow (75) winter (361)

This was a very cute book! This is a modern fantasy picture book suitable for children in kindergarten through first grade. I really liked the illustrations throughout this story, the hedgehog was absolutely adorable. This would be a great beginners book for emerging readers, the plot line is easy to follow with cute and entertaining characters. The moral of the story is to take pride in your ideas even if it’s different, and eventually people will admire you for it! ( )
  BeckieZimmerman | May 10, 2014 |
I thought this book was okay. I like that the main character, Hedgie, seems to be the trendsetter with his new hat. All the animals laugh at him at first, but when he tells them how the hat will protect him from winter weather, they all immediately leave to find protection of their own. He also becomes upset with the other animals for making fun of this hat, and startles the pony when he yells at him because "Hedgie was usually so friendly". I think this develops his character a little further, and I liked that touch. I also thought this book was illustrated in a very interesting way. On the left side of the page there is an oval window that shows what the little girl, Lisa, is doing and the oval window on the right shows what is animal or event will be encountered next. There is also a rectangular window at the top of the pages that shows what is happening to the clothes Lisa hung up to dry. After Hedgie encounters a new animal, an article of clothing is missing on the next page. I think this is a really creative way to keep track of what is happening in the story, especially since many of the characters only appear once and then disappear until the end of the story. The big idea of this book is stick to what you think is right, even if others think you're wrong, but be open to the ideas of others. This is demonstrated by Hedgie, who thinks his hat--which is a sock--is a great idea, though the other animals think he looks silly. When Lisa catches up him and tells him animals don't wear clothes: "'You ridiculous little hedgehog,' she laughed. Don't you know that animals don't wear clothes!" At the end, Hedgie is seen looking at the other animals with the clothes on their heads and says, "'How ridiculous they look! Don't they know that animals should never wear clothes!'" ( )
  lstec2 | Mar 19, 2014 |
really lovely illustrations in this book. I loved the old timey feel of airing out your woollies for winter. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
I liked this book for two reasons. First the illustrations are beautiful. When I first opened the book the illustrations immediately drew me in. Each page has multiple things to observe and the layout of each page is very appealing to a reader’s eye because it is consistent and the drawings are nicely detailed. I also liked the plot of the story because of the conflict with the character Hedgie. In the book Hedgie’s head got stuck into a wool sock, when he went around and saw his friends they all made fun of him. For example when Hedgie saw the cat, “Meow, he called down. What a silly –looking hedgehog you are, with that thing on your head”. Each of his friends laughed at him. Another reason I liked the book was the plot. One of my favorite parts f the plot was the conclusion. In the end the conflict with Hedgie is resolved as he sees his other friends wearing human clothing as well, “The animals had taken them and each one was thinking, “Now I am wearing a magnificent hat!”” I think the central message of the book is friendship and having confidence. The reason that each of the other animals wanted to be like Hedgie was because even though he may have looked a little funny, he wore the sock with confidence and made the best of it! ( )
  awalls4 | Feb 27, 2014 |
For Sara and Joshua Carty
Winter was on the way.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399231013, Hardcover)

Hedgie the hedgehog discovers the wisdom of the adage, "Don't go poking your nose where it doesn't belong" only after curiosity gets this prickly fellow in a pickle. When Lisa's red and white woolen stocking blows off the clothesline, Hedgie finds it and sticks his nose inside, only to discover his prickles prevent him from pulling out of it. Soon all the farm animals are coming around to chuckle at silly Hedgie's stocking hat. But in the end, nimble-witted Hedgie gets the last laugh.

This magnificently illustrated companion book to artist (and hedgehog owner) Jan Brett's classic The Mitten was the winner of the prestigious 1998 Boston Globe-Horn Book Award. Young readers can spend hours with this one short book, poring over the pleasing, spirited details of Brett's trademark picture borders. Throughout, Lisa can be seen in these artful frames, making preparations for the cold Scandinavian winter, never realizing that her clothesline is becoming more line than clothes. If it were possible to wrap oneself up in these warm, cozy illustrations, readers would be set for the winter. (Ages 4 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:37 -0400)

When Lisa hangs her woolen clothes in the sun to air them out for winter, the hedgehog, to the amusement of the other animals, ends up wearing a stocking on his head.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,482,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible