River God by Wilbur Smith

River God (original 1993; edition 2001)

by Wilbur Smith

2,010363,338 (4)47
Member:moukayedr
Title:River God
Authors:Wilbur Smith
Info:Pan Macmillan (2001), Mass Market Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned, Favorites
Tags:Fiction, Adventure, Ancient Egypt, Favourite, Donated

River God by Wilbur Smith (1993)

(6) adventure (78) Africa (14) ancient (6) Ancient Egypt (64) ebook (6) Egypt (149) epic (6) eunuchs (9) fantasy (13) favorite (5) fiction (188) historic (5) historical (38) historical fiction (150) historical novel (8) history (17) mystery (7) novel (39) own (7) pharaohs (10) read (19) Roman (13) romance (5) series (8) suspense (12) thriller (12) to-read (37) unread (11) Wilbur Smith (13)
    The Seventh Scroll by Wilbur Smith (MichWasHere)
    Ancient Evenings by Norman Mailer (paradoxosalpha)
    paradoxosalpha: Smith's Egypt has plenty of politics, intrigue, battle, and invention, but Mailer's has magic -- and more interesting sex.
    Warlock by Wilbur Smith (MichWasHere)
    The Quest by Wilbur Smith (MichWasHere)

English (32)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (36)
Rhodesian born author Wilbur Smith is not as well known in the US as in the UK and many other countries throughout the world. However, his first major novel was published in 1964 and since that time he has written over 30 additional titles with sales exceeding $65MM. His historical fiction and adventure novels have continually received high praise, maintained a strong following, and for those who were fortuitous in starting a library collection of his earlier works, provided a fairly good return on their financial investments.

This novel RIVER GOD, first published in 1993, is the lead book of a 4 part Egyptian series. Set nearly 2,000 years BC, it chronicles a transitional period of approximately 40 years. During a time leading up to Egypt’s conquer by eastern savages using strange beasts and a seemingly floating apparatus (wheeled chariots pulled by horses), to the eventual over throw of the invaders.

Of the half dozen books I’ve read by Wilbur Smith, this is one of my favorites so far. He undertakes sufficient amounts of research to provide a reasonable degree of time, place, and events for his dialog and story line. While there may be a few new historical learning’s for novices of this period, the real purpose and draw is in the amazingly good and entertaining read.

There is also the fact (at least for me) that he deals with subject matter that is different and creative; not something that corresponds to dozens of other current writers, becoming lost in a foggy array of sameness. It is not a literary masterpiece, intellectual or profound statement; it is just a good old fashioned, fun and engrossing book that pulls you in and one you can hardly put down until finished.
  whwatson | Mar 7, 2014 |
Still my favourite novel of all time and also began my enjoyment of all-things-Ancient Egypt and historical fiction, it was that good.
Have been informed by a reliable source (ie. Wilbur Smith), that the fifth installment is due out sometime in 2014; Can't wait! ( )
  MFRizzi | Jan 29, 2014 |
EDITORIAL REVIEW: For Tanus, the fair-haired young lion of a warrior, the gods have decreed that he will lead Egypt's army in a bold attempt to reunite the Kingdom's shared halves. But Tanus will have to defy the same gods to attain the reward they have forbidden him, an object more prized than battle's glory: possession of the Lady Lostris, a rare beauty with skin the color of oiled ceder--destined for the adoration of a nation, and the love of one extraordinary man.International bestselling author Wilbur Smith, creator of two dozen highly acclaimed novels, draws readers into a magnificent, richly imagined saga. Exploding with all the drama, mystery and rage of a bygone time, *River God* is a masterpiece from a storyteller at the height of his powers.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
The first book of a wonderful series set in ancient Egypt. ( )
  Chris.Graham | Jul 30, 2013 |
This book I read second in the row, instead of starting off with it as no.1.
That didn't harm reading pleasure, though. Despite the books belong together, being both about Taita and his life, they can be read as seperate books.

Well, about the book. I liked it, as I had expected. I liked the story, the descriptions of Egypt life in ancient times, the machinations that seem to be part of royal and political life in all times. What I did wonder about, is that a slave has so much influence, not to say power in the household he works for. If I doubt anything to be true from this story, that would be the part.
In other ancient times slaves didn't have so much influence and despite he could have searched it through plotting and scheming, I'm not sure he would have pulled it off like Taita describes he did.
Taita, the man I'm talking about, portaits himself as a genius, having brilliant ideas, living only for the well being of his mistress and her family.
I'm reading this as a work of fiction though. Maybe Egyptian life in about 1700 BC is portayed well, maybe not. I have no intention to prove it or attack what has been written about that. It was a well constructed, believable, interesting, thrilling book at times. A very nice book to read :-) ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Apr 16, 2013 |

Wilbur Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kooijman, HansTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for my wife and the jewel of my life MOKHINISO with all my love and gratitude for the enchanted years that I have been married to her
The river lay heavily upon the desert, bright as a spill of molten metal from a furnace.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312954468, Mass Market Paperback)

International bestselling author Wilbur Smith, creator of two dozen highly acclaimed novels, draws readers into a magnificent, richly imagined saga. Exploding with all the drama, mystery and rage of a bygone time, River God is a masterpiece from a storyteller at the height of his powers.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:57 -0400)

River God is the first of Wilbur Smith's fascinating adventure stories set in ancient Egypt about the land of the Pharaohs Ancient Egypt. Land of the Pharaohs. A kingdom built on gold. A legend shattered by greed. Now the Valley of the Kings lies ravaged by war, drained of its lifeblood as weak men inherit the cherished crown. In the city of Thebes at the Festival of Osiris, loyal subjects of the Pharaoh gather to pay homage to their leader. But Taita - a wise and formidably gifted eunuch slave, sees him only as a symbol of a kingdom's fading glory. Beside Taita stand his proteges, Lostris, daughter of Lord Intef, beautiful beyond her fourteen years; and Tanus, proud, young army officer, who has vowed to avenge the death - at Intef's hand - of his father, and seize Lostris as his prize. Together they share a dream - to restore the majesty of the Pharaoh of Pharaohs on the glittering banks of the Nile.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,479,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible