River God by Wilbur Smith

River God (original 1993; edition 2001)

by Wilbur Smith

2,260422,837 (4.01)1 / 68
Title:River God
Authors:Wilbur Smith
Info:Pan Macmillan (2001), Mass Market Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned, Favorites
Tags:Fiction, Adventure, Ancient Egypt, Favourite, Donated

River God by Wilbur Smith (1993)

The Seventh Scroll by Wilbur Smith (MichWasHere)
    Ancient Evenings by Norman Mailer (paradoxosalpha)
    paradoxosalpha: Smith's Egypt has plenty of politics, intrigue, battle, and invention, but Mailer's has magic -- and more interesting sex.
    Warlock by Wilbur Smith (MichWasHere)
    The Quest by Wilbur Smith (MichWasHere)

English (38)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (42)
The River God is a rousing tale of ancient Egypt. This story is epic in scope with forbidden love, devastating strife, a daunting enemy, and an exodus into an unknown land. It's narrated by Taita, the eunuch slave, who tells the story of his life as events unfold in Egypt thousands of years ago. He works for Lord Intef, a tyrannical ruler who is second only to the Pharaoh. Taita is also responsible for raising and educating Intef's daughter Lostris whom he loves more than life. He is also a close confidant to Tanus, young soldier and mighty warrior leader of the Blue Crocodile division of the Pharaoh's fleet. Tanus and Lostris fall in love but evil Lord Intef refuses to let them wed.

River God is well written and is less of a historical novel than a epic action adventure story. Readers can criticize the historical facts, but no one can criticize how stirring and emotional it is. The author takes us on a journey through Egypt which is depicted with such astonishing detail the reader will think they are on the Nile. There were so many great scenes including the hippopotamus hunt at the very beginning and the invasion of the Hyksos with their indomitable chariots and horses, defeating the Egyptian forces and causing our heroes to flee up the Nile. Years will pass before they are able to return.

It is a sweeping saga that is well written and very imaginative. Taita's unequaled intelligence was a bit unbelievable but this eventually seems important for the development of the plot. I don't recommend this for the squeamish because there are lots of animal deaths and some discussion of Intef's sexual interest in young boys that might be disturbing. I found them to be brief and easy to skim through because the story was so gripping. It was a great piece of storytelling and I'm already picking up the second book in the trilogy (Seven Scrolls) which takes place 4000 years later. I should note that I listened to this and maybe that was part of the reason I enjoyed it so much.
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
Wow, this is two new authors in a row that I really like.

Wilbur Smith has been writing novels for a lot of years, and I guess he has quite a following, but he’s new to me.

Bottom line: I really like his writing and his storytelling.

This is a story set in the time of Egypt when the Hyksos invaded and conquered the country, introducing the chariot to the Egyptians. In doing a little googling, I was able to identify quite a number of folks who weren’t happy with Mr. Smith’s adherence to actual historical events. As a lover of historical fiction, I like it a lot when a story follows the line of known history pretty closely, but have to say that the fact that this one may have strayed quite a bit from accepted history doesn’t bother me much.

Read my full review at my website.

I’d like to give this 4.5 stars, but will err on the high side since the narration was so good as well. ( )
  bicyclewriter | Jan 8, 2016 |
Could not get past page 400, ( )
  RistoZ | Jul 30, 2015 |
An entertaining tale of ancient Egypt, told from the perspective of an arrogant slave. Wilbur Smith creates good environmental detail and demonstrates an intimate knowledge of the subject matter. ( )
  fiverivers | Apr 25, 2015 |
This book was lent to me by my Father-in-law who is a huge Wilbur Smith fan. I have read a few books by this author and I always enjoy them. This book was no exception. The story was interesting and I rather liked the characters. The only fault is that is was overly descriptive at times, making it a lengthy read. It is obvious that the author has a great interest in his subject matter.

The narrator, Taita, is a very intelligent slave owned by the Grand Vizier of Egypt. He has a central role in the household and is invaluable to his owner. He has also had the role of raising Lostris, the daughter of the house. Taita is very loyal to Lostris, so when she becomes his owner he is overjoyed.

Taita is involved in many complex political issues of the time. He is a master at everything and comes in very handy to Lostris in the challenges she faces through her life.

This is a book of adventure as well as an Egyptian saga, one that will continue in the next book in the series. No doubt my father-in-law will lend me that one when I hand this one back. ( )
  Roro8 | Mar 24, 2015 |

Wilbur Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kooijman, HansTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for my wife and the jewel of my life Mokhiniso with all my love and gratitude for the enchanted years that I have been married to her.
The river lay heavily upon the desert, bright as a spill of molten metal from a furnace.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312954468, Mass Market Paperback)

For Tanus, the fair-haired young lion of a warrior, the gods have decreed that he will lead Egypt's army in a bold attempt to reunite the Kingdom's shared halves. But Tanus will have to defy the same gods to attain the reward they have forbidden him, an object more prized than battle's glory: possession of the Lady Lostris, a rare beauty with skin the color of oiled ceder--destined for the adoration of a nation, and the love of one extraordinary man.

International bestselling author Wilbur Smith, creator of two dozen highly acclaimed novels, draws readers into a magnificent, richly imagined saga. Exploding with all the drama, mystery and rage of a bygone time, River God is a masterpiece from a storyteller at the height of his powers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:33 -0400)

River God is the first of Wilbur Smith's fascinating adventure stories set in ancient Egypt about the land of the Pharaohs Ancient Egypt. Land of the Pharaohs. A kingdom built on gold. A legend shattered by greed. Now the Valley of the Kings lies ravaged by war, drained of its lifeblood as weak men inherit the cherished crown. In the city of Thebes at the Festival of Osiris, loyal subjects of the Pharaoh gather to pay homage to their leader. But Taita - a wise and formidably gifted eunuch slave, sees him only as a symbol of a kingdom's fading glory. Beside Taita stand his proteges, Lostris, daughter of Lord Intef, beautiful beyond her fourteen years; and Tanus, proud, young army officer, who has vowed to avenge the death - at Intef's hand - of his father, and seize Lostris as his prize. Together they share a dream - to restore the majesty of the Pharaoh of Pharaohs on the glittering banks of the Nile.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,769,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible