River God by Wilbur Smith

River God (original 1993; edition 1993)

by Wilbur Smith

2,111403,111 (3.99)1 / 64
Member:Teritree001971
Title:River God
Authors:Wilbur Smith
Info:Macmillan (1993), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 544 pages
Rating:*****

River God by Wilbur Smith (1993)

Recently added bylucyknows, private library, loccorr, Kupelo, SoschaF, mrcmrc, TheBookStop, trickyhu, knev
    The Seventh Scroll by Wilbur Smith (MichWasHere)
    Ancient Evenings by Norman Mailer (paradoxosalpha)
    paradoxosalpha: Smith's Egypt has plenty of politics, intrigue, battle, and invention, but Mailer's has magic -- and more interesting sex.
    Warlock by Wilbur Smith (MichWasHere)
    The Quest by Wilbur Smith (MichWasHere)

English (36)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (40)
Could not get past page 400, ( )
  RistoZ | Jul 30, 2015 |
An entertaining tale of ancient Egypt, told from the perspective of an arrogant slave. Wilbur Smith creates good environmental detail and demonstrates an intimate knowledge of the subject matter. ( )
  fiverivers | Apr 25, 2015 |
This book was lent to me by my Father-in-law who is a huge Wilbur Smith fan. I have read a few books by this author and I always enjoy them. This book was no exception. The story was interesting and I rather liked the characters. The only fault is that is was overly descriptive at times, making it a lengthy read. It is obvious that the author has a great interest in his subject matter.

The narrator, Taita, is a very intelligent slave owned by the Grand Vizier of Egypt. He has a central role in the household and is invaluable to his owner. He has also had the role of raising Lostris, the daughter of the house. Taita is very loyal to Lostris, so when she becomes his owner he is overjoyed.

Taita is involved in many complex political issues of the time. He is a master at everything and comes in very handy to Lostris in the challenges she faces through her life.

This is a book of adventure as well as an Egyptian saga, one that will continue in the next book in the series. No doubt my father-in-law will lend me that one when I hand this one back. ( )
  Roro8 | Mar 24, 2015 |
3.5 stars

In ancient Egypt, Taita is a slave, eunuch, and doctor. When his mistress, young Lostris, is betrothed to the Pharoah, Taita goes with her. Lostris, however, is in love with Tanus, also a friend of Taita's, so Taita helps them steal time with each other. The time period of the book covers almost the entire lives of Lostris and Tanus, so there are also wars and travel in the book.

It was good, but long. That is, the story was good, but I can't say I particularly liked any of the characters. Taita was just way too good to be true, in fact. Not only was he a doctor, but he was a horse-whisperer, a chariot-designer and builder, a play-writer, an astronomer, a philosopher and more and he excelled at all these things. Not bad for being a slave! I didn't really like Lostris or Tanus, either, and I didn't like some of the things they did. I also didn't like the hunting scenes in the book. Now, despite this fairly negative-sounding review, I didn't really think that badly of it. I did like it, overall. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jan 21, 2015 |
Rhodesian born author Wilbur Smith is not as well known in the US as in the UK and many other countries throughout the world. However, his first major novel was published in 1964 and since that time he has written over 30 additional titles with sales exceeding $65MM. His historical fiction and adventure novels have continually received high praise, maintained a strong following, and for those who were fortuitous in starting a library collection of his earlier works, provided a fairly good return on their financial investments.

This novel RIVER GOD, first published in 1993, is the lead book of a 4 part Egyptian series. Set nearly 2,000 years BC, it chronicles a transitional period of approximately 40 years. During a time leading up to Egypt’s conquer by eastern savages using strange beasts and a seemingly floating apparatus (wheeled chariots pulled by horses), to the eventual over throw of the invaders.

Of the half dozen books I’ve read by Wilbur Smith, this is one of my favorites so far. He undertakes sufficient amounts of research to provide a reasonable degree of time, place, and events for his dialog and story line. While there may be a few new historical learning’s for novices of this period, the real purpose and draw is in the amazingly good and entertaining read.

There is also the fact (at least for me) that he deals with subject matter that is different and creative; not something that corresponds to dozens of other current writers, becoming lost in a foggy array of sameness. It is not a literary masterpiece, intellectual or profound statement; it is just a good old fashioned, fun and engrossing book that pulls you in and one you can hardly put down until finished.
  whwatson | Mar 7, 2014 |

Wilbur Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kooijman, HansTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for my wife and the jewel of my life MOKHINISO with all my love and gratitude for the enchanted years that I have been married to her
The river lay heavily upon the desert, bright as a spill of molten metal from a furnace.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312954468, Mass Market Paperback)

For Tanus, the fair-haired young lion of a warrior, the gods have decreed that he will lead Egypt's army in a bold attempt to reunite the Kingdom's shared halves. But Tanus will have to defy the same gods to attain the reward they have forbidden him, an object more prized than battle's glory: possession of the Lady Lostris, a rare beauty with skin the color of oiled ceder--destined for the adoration of a nation, and the love of one extraordinary man.

International bestselling author Wilbur Smith, creator of two dozen highly acclaimed novels, draws readers into a magnificent, richly imagined saga. Exploding with all the drama, mystery and rage of a bygone time, River God is a masterpiece from a storyteller at the height of his powers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:33 -0400)

River God is the first of Wilbur Smith's fascinating adventure stories set in ancient Egypt about the land of the Pharaohs Ancient Egypt. Land of the Pharaohs. A kingdom built on gold. A legend shattered by greed. Now the Valley of the Kings lies ravaged by war, drained of its lifeblood as weak men inherit the cherished crown. In the city of Thebes at the Festival of Osiris, loyal subjects of the Pharaoh gather to pay homage to their leader. But Taita - a wise and formidably gifted eunuch slave, sees him only as a symbol of a kingdom's fading glory. Beside Taita stand his proteges, Lostris, daughter of Lord Intef, beautiful beyond her fourteen years; and Tanus, proud, young army officer, who has vowed to avenge the death - at Intef's hand - of his father, and seize Lostris as his prize. Together they share a dream - to restore the majesty of the Pharaoh of Pharaohs on the glittering banks of the Nile.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,150,964 books! | Top bar: Always visible