The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford

The Incredible Journey (original 1961; edition 1997)

by Sheila Burnford

Member:fuzzi
Title:The Incredible Journey
Authors:Sheila Burnford
Info:Yearling (1997), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 160 pages
Collections:Your library, TBSL, Child/Youth Books
Rating:*****
Tags:animals, dogs, cats, young adult, wild, wilderness, dog, cat

The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford (1961)

Recently added bywaldorfpittsburgh, ginayockey, private library, Katie-ClaireH, shadana

English (48)  Dutch (1)  All languages (49)
The story of how two dogs and a cat join forces to survive and manage to travel all the way to their masters. A good children's book that models loyalty, cooperation and perseverance. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
I really liked this book, but its often patriarchal roles date it heavily. ( )
  amlohf | Jan 18, 2016 |
I am glad I finally got to read this classic Canadian animal story. I was captivated by Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey as a child, and only recently found out that movie was a remake of The Incredible Journey from the 60s, which in turn was based on a book from the 60s. The animals are a little different but the overall story is the same. But the best thing about this book is the emotional vigour of the story, and they don't make the animals talk or read their minds, but you really know what they are thinking and feeling. It was a great story and I'm glad I got a chance to read it. ( )
  loewen | Jan 9, 2016 |
The nostalgia trip continues with one of my all-time favorite books.

Seriously, what's not to love about The Incredible Journey? It's a well written story about a pair of dogs and a cat who decide to find their way home after seizing an opportunity presented by the man looking after them while their owners are abroad. The characterizations of the three animals make you care about them as individuals, not just as cuddly pets, although there's that aspect as well, along with harrowing adventure as the three make their way westward and towards their home.

Touching and heartwarming, and just a fantastic story. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Aug 16, 2015 |
While Jim Hunter and his family are in England, John Longridge is taking care of Luath a young Labrador, Bodger an old Bull Terrier and Toa a Siamese cat. John goes on a trip with his brother and leave the three animals in the care of Mrs. Oakes. John leaves a note for Mrs. Oakes but part of the notes lands in the fireplace leaving Mrs. Oakes to think that John took the pets with him. The animals begin a 200 mile journey through the Canadian wilderness to reunite with the Hunter family. During their journey the animals face starvation, the coldness of the wilderness, encounter wild animals, become injured and separated. In the end all the animals are reunited with each other and with the Hunter family.
  APatricia | May 26, 2015 |

Sheila Burnfordprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Erikson, HasseIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nellinge, SolveigTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Beasts

I think I could turn and live with animals, they are so placid and self-contain'd,
I stand and look at them long and long.
They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins,
They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God
Not one is dissatisfied, not one is demented with the mania of owning things,
Not one kneels to another, nor to his kind that lived thousands of years ago,
Not one is respectable or industrious over the whole earth.

Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself," 32.
To my parents I.P and W.G.C Every

And to their grandchildren Peronelle, Jonquil and Juliet who grew up under the despotic white paw of dear Bill
This journey took place in a part of Canada which lies in the northwestern part of the great sprawling province of Ontario.

Instinct told them that the way home lay to the west. And so the doughty young Labrador retriever, the roguish bull terrier and the indomitable Siamese set out through the Canadian wilderness. Separately, they would soon have died. But, together, the three house pets faced starvation, exposure, and wild forest animals to make their way home to the family they love. The Incredible Journey is one of the great children's stories of all time--and has been popular ever since its debut in 1961.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:31 -0400)

A Siamese cat, an old bull terrier, and a young Labrador retriever travel together 250 miles through the Canadian wilderness to find their family.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,715,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible