The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford

The Incredible Journey (original 1961; edition 1997)

by Sheila Burnford

Member:fuzzi
Title:The Incredible Journey
Authors:Sheila Burnford
Info:Yearling (1997), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 160 pages
Collections:Your library, TBSL, Child/Youth Books
Rating:*****
Tags:animals, dogs, cats, young adult, wild, wilderness, dog, cat

The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford (1961)

English (39)  Dutch (1)  All languages (40)
Pets on a road trip. Unlike 'Animal Farm', their aim is to return to human overlordship. Paean to the worthy simplicity of animals - loyalty, camaraderie, purpose. The expansive Canadian outdoors is the other lead character, also fondly portrayed. ( )
  eglinton | Jul 17, 2014 |
This book tells the tale of three house pets who leave home to venture across Canada to find their owner, John. There is Tao, a smart and regal Siamese cat, an elderly English Bull Terrier, and a young Golden Retriever. John assumes that they are safe at home with the kind lady who has offered to care for them, Mrs. Oakes. Mrs. Oakes thinks that John took the sweet animals with him on his trip. Thus, begins the incredible journey where these animals encounter dangerous situations such as the wilderness, wild animal confrontations, starvation. Not to mention that our old English Bull Terrier's strength is waning. They stick together and take care of each other through thick and thin, and are happily reunited with John at the end of the novel.

While I thought the book was slightly dated, I still fell in love with the charm of the book, and the very obvious message about the devotion to family. I also loved the spin off Homeward Bound movie as a child. The book was very emotional and detailed; written in such a way that you really felt deeply for the sweet pets. ( )
  aelmer | Mar 13, 2014 |
I can remember my anxiety as a child when I read this book. It really captured my imagination. I was worried by the dangers these three met in their journey. I was so glad that everything worked out alright. It brought tears to my eyes when I reread it as an adult. I'm looking forward to my book group discussing it. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Short Summary: Two dogs and a cat get lost and have to go on a journey to get their way home. this book was a little dated looking as far as colors, pictures, and text went, but still had a great message that the animals worked together through their differences and difficult times on the journey (porcupine, crossing a river, etc.).

Personal Reflection: I think I remember watching this movie- was it called something else? I used to love it when I was younger. I think, as an animal lover, that every kid should read this book because of the detail and the heartwarming and sometimes difficult journey that the dogs and cat go on together. I also really liked that they were reunited with the family at the end. It is a good book for sharing how people have to work together to be able to survive.
  hkent32 | Jun 7, 2013 |
A charming and heartwarming adventure of three Canadian house pets, The Incredible Journey has captivated young readers for over 50 years, losing nothing over time in its capacity to draw the reader into the dangerous and unlikely adventure of these three animal friends.

The older of the two dogs is an English Bull Terrier, Bodger, long past his prime. The Siamese cat, Tao, is Bodger's closest companion, but it is the young Laborador Retriever who is intent on returning home to the master he misses so much. He does not intend to leave the others behind however, and when the occasion presents itself, Luath leads his companions out the gate and down the road, beginning a journey that will last for hundreds of miles.

They face a harsh environment, uncertainty as to food, water and encounters with wild animals who inhabit the wilderness they must cross to get home. They suffer hunger, injury and exhaustion, but they stick together, inspiring generations of readers with the awesome power of friendship. ( )
  vcg610 | Jun 6, 2013 |

Sheila Burnfordprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Erikson, HasseIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nellinge, SolveigTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Beasts

I think I could turn and live with animals, they are so placid and self-contain'd,
I stand and look at them long and long.
They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins,
They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God
Not one is dissatisfied, not one is demented with the mania of owning things,
Not one kneels to another, nor to his kind that lived thousands of years ago,
Not one is respectable or industrious over the whole earth.

Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself," 32.
To my parents I.P and W.G.C Every

And to their grandchildren Peronelle, Jonquil and Juliet who grew up under the despotic white paw of dear Bill
This journey took place in a part of Canada which lies in the northwestern part of the great sprawling province of Ontario.

Instinct told them that the way home lay to the west. And so the doughty young Labrador retriever, the roguish bull terrier and the indomitable Siamese set out through the Canadian wilderness. Separately, they would soon have died. But, together, the three house pets faced starvation, exposure, and wild forest animals to make their way home to the family they love. The Incredible Journey is one of the great children's stories of all time--and has been popular ever since its debut in 1961.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:49 -0400)

A Siamese cat, an old bull terrier, and a young Labrador retriever travel together 250 miles through the Canadian wilderness to find their family.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,982,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible