The Breakfast Book by Marion Cunningham

The Breakfast Book

by Marion Cunningham

Two recipes in this book have achieved legendary status in my family, buttermilk pancakes (page112) and crackered eggs (page 151). After 27 years, the book falls open to those pages. My handwritten note for the pancakes, scrawled across the width of the page, reads “Double this always.” Upon recent review, many of the other recipes look good too. Perhaps I should try them.

The book begins with a short introduction in which Cunningham examines the appeal of a good breakfast, “honest simplicity” in the midst of food trends with “chic ingredients.” And she goes further, emphasizing the opportunity that breakfast provides to bring families together in an era of solitary eating. Mealtime distractions have multiplied since the late 1980s, but she was idealistic even for the time. I can’t be alone in thinking that the idea of sitting everyone down for a daily communal breakfast is rarely possible except on weekends and vacations. Nevertheless, those weekend and vacation breakfasts can be wonderful.

The 15 chapters offer a broad range of ideas — Yeast and quick breads, toast and cereal, fried things, eggs, fruit, potatoes, meat and fish, sweet things, beverages, and condiments. The last chapter has seasonal and special-occasion menus that look tempting. I look forward to diving back into this book. ( )
  the_defenestrator | Jul 4, 2014 |
This little cookbook has wonderful recipies and is a staple in my kitchen. The only small fault is the meat and fish section which doesn't have anything appealing (to me, anyways). Favourite recipies include a wonderful coffee cake, blueberry cranberry bread, and apple muffin. ( )
  beaniebear | Mar 6, 2007 |

Celebrates the simple pleasures of a good breakfast with 288 recipes for traditional favorites, devises new approaches to old breakfast dishes, and creates some 40 breakfast menus guaranteed to make the first meal of the day the best.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:59 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,051,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible