The Mammoth Hunters by Jean M. Auel

The Mammoth Hunters (1985)

by Jean M. Auel

Series: Earth's Children (3)

Recently added byprivate library, Juan-banjo, akelah, msjudy, tesskrose, Schatkoffer, lottebet, antifra, Floratina

English (69)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (77)
Review: The mammoth Hunters by Jean M. Auel.

It took some time getting through the third book of this series but worth the re-read. It has been many years since I read this series. The first two books were great but I think Jean Auel hung in there to long on this one. It was a good story but emphasized too much on the triangle love between Ayla, Jondalar and Ranec. As I was reading I keep getting upset with Jonalar and Alya’s attitude towards each other and then I had to remind myself I was reading a book. Then it got to a point that I didn’t want to hear anymore about the trio. I think what kept me reading is that I couldn’t remember the ending so I needed to finish to find out the impact to the ending.

I enjoyed the action and adventure of these people and the era. Jean Auel was great at creating the atmosphere and environment. Her description of the lay of the land, the animals, and the characters were well developed. At the end of the last book Jondalar and Alya were headed out of the valley that Alya had called home for three years while she lived alone. In the beginning of this book the Jondalar and Ayla (with some hesitation) decided to travel on a long journey to Jondalar’s people. On the way, three days away from the valley, they met up with other people called the Mamutoi of the Great Lion Camp who accepted friendly visitors with open arms but they were apprehensive about the two horses, Winney and Racer.

I did enjoy the characters of the Lion Camp. They were a group of people who received and adopted people who were different. In their camp they accepted a dark skin man, a mix-breed baby, a family that no other Camps would take in, and a spiritual leader who lived among the Clan people for a while recovering from a broken arm. As the story goes on Alya becomes a member of the Mamutoi people in the Lion Camp. They believed the Spirit Mother led her to the Mammoth Hearth with many talents to teach them. She was a medicine healer, a caller of the spirits, the talent to control animals, and a great hunter. It took Ayla some time to get use to being around other people and to learn their language and customs.

It wasn’t until they went to the Summer gathering where other camps come together for sportsmanship, the ceremony of young girls who will become women, the ceremony for couples who are uniting to form their own Hearths, and the great Mammoth hunt However, when Ayla began telling her story of living with the Clan people who they called Flatheads and during some of the squabbling came around Ayla was caught in the middle and spoke words about the Clan people that many of the people there looked down on her. She was no longer the attraction of the summer gathering. The people of the Lion Camp stood behind her no matter what was said. There were also some from other camps who stuck by her and Alya still walked around with her head held high.

As I got to the end of the book came the big question, would Alya choose one of the two men interested in her or does she go back to the Lion Camp a single woman….?
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

READ IN DUTCH

I'd once started this book back in 2007, but at a point I was just so annoyed with it, I quit. Now, it was time to give it another try.

And it was not as bad as I remembered, some parts were nice to read (even though the amount of sex in it makes that you almost think you're reading 50 shades or something similar), and I was planning to give this book an extra star after reading it completely, but then the End happened. It was so bad, I couldn't stop myself from facepalming even though there was no one around to notice it. It almost made me vomit, it was terrible.

It goes like this:

*We're on the very day of Ayla's marriage, so you hope this is going to end the stupid love triangle (or it might even be a love pyramid); Anyway, her other love interest has left*

*She notices he has left, and goes looking for him*

*Finds him*

'Why don't you love me any more?'

'But you don't love me any more...'

*Some confusion as they find out that they in fact do love each other*

'Then why did you never ask me to marry you?'

'Marry me!'

'YES!'

'How about the guy you're supposed to marry this very evening?'

'Oh, well, I'll just ditch him, he won't mind'

* Some make up sex *

Afterwards they go and tell the other guy, and he is OK with it!

Seriously, this really is one of the worst endings I've ever read.

(And someone got me the fourth book in the Earth Children's series as a present, so I'll have to read that one as well) ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Third in the Earth’s Children series set in the ice age. This could have been good. Her writing, for the most part, is good. Day to day living in a glacial world is well researched, thought out and portrayed. But, what? Was she in a contest with herself to see how stinking many times she could write sex scenes with phrasings that were not quite exactly the same? And how many scenes did she invent (should’ve kept track!) to show the guy and the gal misunderstanding each other?

“They stared at each other, wanting each other, drawn to each other, but their silent shout of love went unheard in the roar of misunderstanding, and the clatter of culturally ingrained beliefs.”

Why doesn’t he, why didn’t I . . . . over and over and over . . . The sheer repetitiveness of the sex scenes and misunderstanding scenes completely ruined what could have been a good story. ( )
  countrylife | Mar 17, 2016 |
This book starts off from the events at the end of The Valley of Horses a sequel to The Clan of the Cave Bear. The main protagonists, a young woman named Ayla and a man named Jondalar, meet a group known as the Mamutoi, or Mammoth Hunters, with whom they live for a period of time. As their name would suggest, their hosts rely on mammoth not only for food but also for building materials and a number of other commodities - and indeed for spiritual sustenance. The protagonists make their home with the Lion Camp of the Mammoth Hunters, which features a number of respected Mamutoi. Wisest of their nation is Old Mamut, their eldest shaman and the leader of the entire Mamutoi priesthood, who becomes Ayla's mentor and colleague in the visionary and esoteric fields of thought. Observing Ayla's affinity with horses and wolves, Mamut begins to introduce her into the ranks of the Mamuti (mystics). Mamut is also one of the first to become aware of Ayla's unique upbringing, as many years ago he was saved by the medicine woman of the same clan that brought her up (the grandmother of Ayla's adoptive mother Iza) as he broke his arm while on his Journey. He learned some of the Clan sign language during that stay, and became aware of the fact that the Clan are human (not animals, as is the common opinion of most of his people).

Also within the Lion Camp is a boy of six named Rydag who is half Clan (Neanderthal) and half Others (Cro-Magnon). He was adopted by the headman's mate, Nezzie, when his mother died giving birth to him. He cannot speak, having the same vocal limitations as the Clan, but he also has their memories. Ayla quickly discovers this and teaches him, and the rest of the Lion Camp, the Clan way of communicating. Rydag is a sickly child, having a heart defect which limits him from even playing like the other children of the Camp. He is the subject of prejudice from many other Mamutoi, who regard him as an animal, but Ayla and the Lion Camp are vehement in their defence of him. He is a special friend of Mamut, who never treated him as any different from the other children "except to show special consideration for his weakness". Rydag's intelligence, maturity and wit endear him to Jondalar as well, who learns to overcome his cultural prejudice towards Clan and half-Clan people.

More so than any other book in the Earth's Children series, The Mammoth Hunters relies on the tension created by the relationships between the characters to create a storyline, in that Ayla's susceptibility to being deceived or confused, caused by her upbringing among essentially honest people, leads the more complicated, obstinate, and passionate Jondalar to make multiple errors. The conflict in question is a love triangle between Jondalar, Ayla, and Lion Camp member Ranec, a unique fellow in that his father (master flint knapper Wymez) traveled far to the south and mated a woman whose skin was as black as night, resulting in a brown-skinned son. Jondalar becomes jealous and is easily pushed away; Ayla almost mates with Ranec before several last-minute revelations reunite the former pair. Some fans have criticised author Jean Auel for making the book somewhat of a soap opera compared to her other works. Nonetheless, many readers report having enjoyed the book. In the end, Ayla and Jondalar leave for the year-long return journey to Jondalar's people, the Zelandonii
  bostonwendym | Mar 3, 2016 |
I read this series in high-school and loved it. I enjoy stories about strong women. ( )
  tashlyn88 | Feb 5, 2016 |

Jean M. Auelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burr, SandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hakala, ErkkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mörling, MikaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marshall, who has become a man to be proud of, and for Beverly, who helped, and for Christopher, Brian and Mellissa, with Love.
Trembling with fear, Ayla clung to the tall man beside her as she watched the strangers approach.

Once again Jean. M. Auel opens the door of time to reveal an age of wonder and terror at the dawn of humanity. With all the consummate storytelling artistry and vivid authenticity she brought to The Clan of the Cave Bear and it’s sequel The Valley of Horses, Jean M. Auel continues this breathtaking epic journey of a woman called Ayla. Now with her devoted Jondalar, Ayla boldly sets forth into the land of the Mamutoi - the Mammoth Hunters, the Others she has been seeking. Though Ayla must learn their strange customs and language, it is because of her uncanny hunting and healing skills that she is adopted into the Mammoth hearth. Here Ayla finds her first woman friends, and painful memories of the clan she left behind. Here too is Renac, the dark skinned, magnetic master career of ivory tusks to whom Ayla is irresistibly drawn - setting Jondalar on fire with jealousy. Through the icy winter, Ayla is torn between her two men. But soon will come the great spring mammoth hunt, when Ayla must choose her mate and her destiny - to remain in the hearth with Ranec, or to follow Jondalar into a far off place and an unknown future.

Once again Jean M. Auel opens the door of a time long past to reveal an age of wonder and danger at the dawn of the modern human race. With all the consummate storytelling artistry and vivid authenticity she brought to The Clan of the Cave Bear and its sequel, The Valley of Horses, Jean M. Auel continues the breathtaking epic journey of the woman called Ayla.

Riding Whinney with Jondalar, the man she loves, and followed by the mare’s colt, Ayla ventures into the land of the Mamutoi--the Mammoth Hunters. She has finally found the Others she has been seeking. Though Ayla must learn their different customs and language, she is adopted because of her remarkable hunting ability, singular healing skills, and uncanny fire-making technique. Bringing back the single pup of a lone wolf she has killed, Ayla shows the way she tames animals. She finds women friends and painful memories of the Clan she left behind, and meets Ranec, the dark-skinned, magnetic master carver of ivory, whom she cannot refuse--inciting Jondalar to a fierce jealousy that he tries to control by avoiding her. Unfamiliar with the ways of the Others, Ayla misunderstands, and thinking Jondalar no longer loves her, she turns more to Ranec. Throughout the icy winter the tension mounts, but warming weather will bring the great mammoth hunt and the mating rituals of the Summer Meeting, when Ayla must choose to remain with Ranec and the Mamutoi, or to follow Jondalar on a long journey into an unknown future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:59 -0400)

Ayla and Jondalar meet the Mamutoi-the Mammoth Hunters--people like Ayla. Ayla finds herself torn between the wildly jealous Jondalar and the master carver Ranec.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,001,576 books! | Top bar: Always visible