The Mammoth Hunters by Jean M. Auel

The Mammoth Hunters (1985)

by Jean M. Auel

Series: Earth's Children (3)

Recently added bydefinitelynoangel, JockeE, MJF68, sdmcrae, MaraBlaise, lesmel, private library

English (55)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  All languages (62)
I'm thinking the series stops holding together at this point. There's a lot of repetition I don't remember. There's this weird push for Ayla to be the perfect paragon of prehistory. ( )
  lesmel | Dec 9, 2014 |
Better than Valley, not as good as Clan. I liked that this book was crowded with characters. I could focus on character interactions without being dragged down by less appealing aspects. ( )
  lesmel | Dec 9, 2014 |
I've enjoyed this series, but less so with this book. Although I was glad to catch up with Ayla and hear that she found her "Others", the "romance triangle" was tedious and more annoying to read than interesting. ( )
  Ceiteag | Nov 23, 2014 |

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

READ IN DUTCH

I'd once started this book back in 2007, but at a point I was just so annoyed with it, I quit. Now, it was time to give it another try.

And it was not as bad as I remembered, some parts were nice to read (even though the amount of sex in it makes that you almost think you're reading 50 shades or something similar), and I was planning to give this book an extra star after reading it completely, but then the End happened. It was so bad, I couldn't stop myself from facepalming even though there was no one around to notice it. It almost made me vomit, it was terrible.

It goes like this:

*We're on the very day of Ayla's marriage, so you hope this is going to end the stupid love triangle (or it might even be a love pyramid); Anyway, her other love interest has left*

*She notices he has left, and goes looking for him*

*Finds him*

'Why don't you love me any more?'

'But you don't love me any more...'

*Some confusion as they find out that they in fact do love each other*

'Then why did you never ask me to marry you?'

'Marry me!'

'YES!'

'How about the guy you're supposed to marry this very evening?'

'Oh, well, I'll just ditch him, he won't mind'

* Some make up sex *

Afterwards they go and tell the other guy, and he is OK with it!

Seriously, this really is one of the worst endings I've ever read.

(And someone got me the fourth book in the Earth Children's series as a present, so I'll have to read that one as well) ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
Well, I'm not in favour of deliberately making a long book, by using a number of cataloguing devices. The story limps along, the characters are flat, and the technology is often anachronistic. I gave up on the series and I think this was the last book of hers I read. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Jan 9, 2014 |

Jean M. Auelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burr, SandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hakala, ErkkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mörling, MikaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marshall, who has become a man to be proud of, and for Beverly, who helped, and for Christopher, Brian and Mellissa, with Love.
Trembling with fear, Ayla clung to the tall man beside her as she watched the strangers approach.

Once again Jean. M. Auel opens the door of time to reveal an age of wonder and terror at the dawn of humanity. With all the consummate storytelling artistry and vivid authenticity she brought to The Clan of the Cave Bear and it’s sequel The Valley of Horses, Jean M. Auel continues this breathtaking epic journey of a woman called Ayla. Now with her devoted Jondalar, Ayla boldly sets forth into the land of the Mamutoi - the Mammoth Hunters, the Others she has been seeking. Though Ayla must learn their strange customs and language, it is because of her uncanny hunting and healing skills that she is adopted into the Mammoth hearth. Here Ayla finds her first woman friends, and painful memories of the clan she left behind. Here too is Renac, the dark skinned, magnetic master career of ivory tusks to whom Ayla is irresistibly drawn - setting Jondalar on fire with jealousy. Through the icy winter, Ayla is torn between her two men. But soon will come the great spring mammoth hunt, when Ayla must choose her mate and her destiny - to remain in the hearth with Ranec, or to follow Jondalar into a far off place and an unknown future.

Once again Jean M. Auel opens the door of a time long past to reveal an age of wonder and danger at the dawn of the modern human race. With all the consummate storytelling artistry and vivid authenticity she brought to The Clan of the Cave Bear and its sequel, The Valley of Horses, Jean M. Auel continues the breathtaking epic journey of the woman called Ayla.

Riding Whinney with Jondalar, the man she loves, and followed by the mare’s colt, Ayla ventures into the land of the Mamutoi--the Mammoth Hunters. She has finally found the Others she has been seeking. Though Ayla must learn their different customs and language, she is adopted because of her remarkable hunting ability, singular healing skills, and uncanny fire-making technique. Bringing back the single pup of a lone wolf she has killed, Ayla shows the way she tames animals. She finds women friends and painful memories of the Clan she left behind, and meets Ranec, the dark-skinned, magnetic master carver of ivory, whom she cannot refuse--inciting Jondalar to a fierce jealousy that he tries to control by avoiding her. Unfamiliar with the ways of the Others, Ayla misunderstands, and thinking Jondalar no longer loves her, she turns more to Ranec. Throughout the icy winter the tension mounts, but warming weather will bring the great mammoth hunt and the mating rituals of the Summer Meeting, when Ayla must choose to remain with Ranec and the Mamutoi, or to follow Jondalar on a long journey into an unknown future.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:34 -0400)

Ayla and Jondalar meet the Mamutoi-the Mammoth Hunters--people like Ayla. Ayla finds herself torn between the wildly jealous Jondalar and the master carver Ranec.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,322,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible