The Mammoth Hunters by Jean M. Auel

The Mammoth Hunters (original 1985; edition 1985)

by Jean M. Auel

Member:MikeBriggs
Title:The Mammoth Hunters
Authors:Jean M. Auel
Info:
Collections:Your library, Read, Series
Tags:Advent History, Adventure, Prehistory, Own, 3rd in Series, Series, Fiction, Female Author, Female Protagonist, Read

The Mammoth Hunters by Jean M. Auel (1985)

English (66)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (74)
I read this series in high-school and loved it. I enjoy stories about strong women. ( )
  tashlyn88 | Feb 5, 2016 |
an interesting series ( )
  Kristelh | Jan 23, 2016 |
II gave these books an honest try, starting with Clan of the Cave Bears. I think the author is a good storyteller, and a good writer. However, these books are absolutely crippled by what appears to be a lack of effective editing. The further you get into the books, the more you have to put up with the retelling of what you've already read... Over and over and over and over.

Here's a link to my review on my website of this book.

I'd really like to be able to continue with these books, as I do like them on those occasions when the author gets back to the storytelling. But I just can't do them anymore. As I say in my review on my website, it might be that the author intended these for adolescent girls, and since I'm a middle-aged man, I just don't qualify as audience. But the abundant and explicit sex in the books makes me wonder if they can really be targeted at adolescent girls...

I really hate giving 2 stars. The first book was a 3 or 4 star story for sure, but I feel they're only going to get more redundant... ( )
  bicyclewriter | Jan 8, 2016 |
I read this a long time ago, but I vividly remember this book. I loved it and hope to re-read it again someday. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |

Jean M. Auelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burr, SandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hakala, ErkkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mörling, MikaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marshall, who has become a man to be proud of, and for Beverly, who helped, and for Christopher, Brian and Mellissa, with Love.
Trembling with fear, Ayla clung to the tall man beside her as she watched the strangers approach.

Once again Jean. M. Auel opens the door of time to reveal an age of wonder and terror at the dawn of humanity. With all the consummate storytelling artistry and vivid authenticity she brought to The Clan of the Cave Bear and it’s sequel The Valley of Horses, Jean M. Auel continues this breathtaking epic journey of a woman called Ayla. Now with her devoted Jondalar, Ayla boldly sets forth into the land of the Mamutoi - the Mammoth Hunters, the Others she has been seeking. Though Ayla must learn their strange customs and language, it is because of her uncanny hunting and healing skills that she is adopted into the Mammoth hearth. Here Ayla finds her first woman friends, and painful memories of the clan she left behind. Here too is Renac, the dark skinned, magnetic master career of ivory tusks to whom Ayla is irresistibly drawn - setting Jondalar on fire with jealousy. Through the icy winter, Ayla is torn between her two men. But soon will come the great spring mammoth hunt, when Ayla must choose her mate and her destiny - to remain in the hearth with Ranec, or to follow Jondalar into a far off place and an unknown future.

Once again Jean M. Auel opens the door of a time long past to reveal an age of wonder and danger at the dawn of the modern human race. With all the consummate storytelling artistry and vivid authenticity she brought to The Clan of the Cave Bear and its sequel, The Valley of Horses, Jean M. Auel continues the breathtaking epic journey of the woman called Ayla.

Riding Whinney with Jondalar, the man she loves, and followed by the mare’s colt, Ayla ventures into the land of the Mamutoi--the Mammoth Hunters. She has finally found the Others she has been seeking. Though Ayla must learn their different customs and language, she is adopted because of her remarkable hunting ability, singular healing skills, and uncanny fire-making technique. Bringing back the single pup of a lone wolf she has killed, Ayla shows the way she tames animals. She finds women friends and painful memories of the Clan she left behind, and meets Ranec, the dark-skinned, magnetic master carver of ivory, whom she cannot refuse--inciting Jondalar to a fierce jealousy that he tries to control by avoiding her. Unfamiliar with the ways of the Others, Ayla misunderstands, and thinking Jondalar no longer loves her, she turns more to Ranec. Throughout the icy winter the tension mounts, but warming weather will bring the great mammoth hunt and the mating rituals of the Summer Meeting, when Ayla must choose to remain with Ranec and the Mamutoi, or to follow Jondalar on a long journey into an unknown future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:59 -0400)

Ayla and Jondalar meet the Mamutoi-the Mammoth Hunters--people like Ayla. Ayla finds herself torn between the wildly jealous Jondalar and the master carver Ranec.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,182,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible