Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen: A…

Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen: A Novel (2008)

by Susan Gregg Gilmore

Nice book. It took a while to get to the action, but enjoyable
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Glad I hung in there with this one, although at first I didn't think it was going anywhere. There was a problem with the dates in this book however. Short of spoiling the plot I'll just say the author got off track with her timeline. Despite that it turned out to be a pretty decent read. ( )
  Rainviolet | Jan 10, 2014 |
Catherine seems destined to be the feisty, stubborn, strong-willed female who will leave her small backwater town in Georgia for the big city of Atlanta but life changes and so does she. ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
Catherine Grace Cline is a teenaged Preacher's Kid in 1970's small-town Georgia. She focuses her efforts on getting out of town. The book follows her and her sister's lives as they grow up in the spotlight of being the PKs and struggle with the loss of their mother when they were quite young. After Catherine Grace achieves her aim and moves to Atlanta to start a career in retail, surprising events and revelations cause her to reexamine her life and assumptions. I was a little afraid this was going to be 'Christian fiction' and perhaps it is (I read a large-print edition from a different publisher)but it manages to portray a person of faith without being preachy or unrealistic. The writer has a good ear for dialogue and the Southern setting is always enjoyable to me. There's a lot of humor as well as pathos in the book. It was a nice quick read and a good break from private eyes, murder and mayhem! ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
This was such a neat coming-of-age novel giving us a glimpse of rural life for one young gal in Georgia. We learn the story of Catherine Grace who has grown up without her mother, knowing the world has so much more to offer than what is available in her stupid little town. She looks forward to the day she can leave Ringgold for good.

This story had so many elements to it that I just loved. I found myself smiling or just plain laughing out loud plenty of times while I was reading it. I am sure many girls could read this book and easily put themselves in Catherine Grace's shoes, as I did. Many kids that have grown up in small towns can't wait to get out and explore the world. Personally, I felt the same exact way. But, like Catherine Grace, once you get out there and start living you realize that it isn't what it's cracked up to be.

Catherine Grace has been lucky to have some wonderful people in her life. Even with the support of her Preacher father and motherly women to help her, there were still times she felt left out of events because she didn't have a mother of her own. She not only found kids treating her differently at times, but even adults. It's hard to grow up with confidence when you feel out of place most of the time.

I loved the relationships in this novel. Between Catherine Grace, her sister, her father, and Gloria Jean, I absolutely loved all of the characters. With themes of love, family, and forgiveness I know that many of you would enjoy this book for either personal leisure or a book club discussion. Our book club loved it and I highly recommend this novel. ( )
  jo-jo | Jan 19, 2013 |
For my family
husband, daughters, mother, father, sisters, brother
without you, there would be no story to tell
My daddy always said that if the good Lord can take the time to care for something as small as a baby sparrow nesting in a tree, then surely He could take the time to listen to a little girl in Ringgold, Georgia.

An engaging first novel, set in the South about the daughter of the local Baptist preacher who spends her Saturday afternoons at the Dairy Queen, dreaming of escaping her small town for Atlanta and the experiences that transform her perspective.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:29 -0400)

In early 1970s Riggold, Georgia, Catherine Grace Cline, the daughter of the local Baptist preacher, dreams of escaping her small town for Atlanta, but after her dream becomes reality, a tragedy transforms her perspective.

308 wanted2 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,545,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible