Silence by Jan Costin Wagner

Silence (2007)

by Jan Costin Wagner

English (4)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (8)
I liked Wagner's previous book in this series about Finnish detective Kimmo Joentaa, but this one seemed pointless. It's certainly not a thriller and barely a mystery, it's endlessly repetitive, and the conclusions in both murder/disappearance cases being investigated fall flat. Most of the book consists of belly button gazing by the detectives and perpetrators, and there is almost no attempt to describe the actual investigation. The book has many admirers, so I thought it would eventually become more satisfying and kept reading. To be blunt: no. ( )
  auntmarge64 | May 26, 2017 |
I struggled a bit with the Finnish names - in particular I kept getting the old cop and the young cop mixed up - but otherwise a very enjoyable read; I finished it inside a day during my holiday. A nice mix of police work and psychological drama, it bubbles along nicely, delivering a twist I didn't expect, and an ending that was ever so slightly ambiguous in a good way. ( )
  jayne_charles | Aug 2, 2016 |
"Silence" is the 2nd of three novels about Kimmo, a Finn cop mourning the death of his young wife while continuing his police murder investigator career. This is the 2nd novel, and completes the 3 book series for me - hopefully there'll be a 4th. I recommend reading this series in order. There is a refreshing simplicity surrounding these stories. They are brief, but poignant, mostly due to Kimmo's melancholy. This concerns a murder that occurred 33 years ago - a murder that is seemingly rplicated today. Strongly recommended. ( )
  maneekuhi | Jul 27, 2012 |
Because SILENCE is the third of the Detective Kimmo Joentaa series, I read it third. (Rebellious you may well think, not paying attention is a much better explanation).

One of the things that I most love about these three books - ICE MOON, SILENCE and THE WINTER OF THE LIONS is the sheer beauty of everything. The place, the culture and the emotion. Sure Joentaa is in deep mourning for his wife who died too young, but there's no sense of self-pity, this is simply a beautiful example of a man struggling quietly, emotionally, but with enormous dignity to find his path, to resurrect his life.

Whilst he's doing that, aspects of real life must go on - in SILENCE it's about the past and the present - the long unsolved abduction, rape and murder of a young girl, and a copycat crime - the same spot, same method, same outcome. None of which seems to make sense given the great time gap between the two awful crimes.

One of the things that stays with you from all of these books is the gentleness, almost delicacy with which Wagner handles his characters, their places and the events that affect them. Everyone - parents, past and present police officers, even the killer are compassionately drawn. SILENCE is again a book more about why than how, and definitely about the after affects on so many participants - be they unwitting or complicit. It's a book about choices, it's a book about grief, and most of all it's a book about life. Needless to say, you've probably worked out, I loved this series - although I think, unlike me, you'd be best to read them in order to really get a feeling for Joentaa's journey in particular. These are books for those who are less interested in vengeance and action, and looking for something contemplative, compassionate and incredibly moving.

http://www.austcrimefiction.org/review/silence-jan-costin-wagner ( )
  austcrimefiction | Jul 22, 2012 |
For Niina, Venla, Ninne and my parents
The time came when they got into the little red car and drove away.

One ordinary summer's day, a young girl disappears while cycling to volleyball practice. Her abandoned bike is found in exactly the same place that another girl was assaulted and murdered thirty-three years previously. The perpetrator was never brought to justice, so the authorities suspect the same killer has struck again. The eeriness of the crime unsettles not only the police and public, but also someone who has been carrying a burden of guilt for many years. Detective Kimmo Joentaa calls upon the help of his older colleague Ketola, who worked on the original murder, in the hope that they can solve both cases. While they are following up leads, the ripples from the impact of the new disappearance spread and Kimmo discovers that the truth is not always what you expect.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,016,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible