The Magic School Bus in the Time of the…

The Magic School Bus in the Time of the Dinosaurs (1994)

by Joanna Cole

I liked this book because of the author's ability to introduce facts about the topic. I did not like that there was a mass of information on each page. The author did a great job combining an entertaining story with facts on each page that coincide with the story. There are great charts and actual size drawings in the book that give the reader a wonderful visual representation of the facts. I did however feel that there was too much information on each page. When turning to a new page, I found myself unsure of what to read first. The overall message of this book is to give the reader background knowledge on dinosaurs and how they lived. ( )
  estree1 | Mar 4, 2015 |
I had mixed feelings about this book after I read. Some aspects I liked about the book were the use of informative diagrams and facts that were listed throughout the book. This helped to inform the reader of the backgrounds of many dinosaurs. In addition, I also enjoyed how the text stood out from the other information on the pages. For instance during their travels to the Late Jurassic Period, the page highlighted the text with a white portion of background. Located around the page were a time line showing where they were in relation to present day, and a map of the world as it looked during that time period. Although these were some aspects I enjoyed, there were also parts I did not enjoy. I felt that to a reader it seemed to be a bit distracting when the page was covered with speech bubbles. This made me want to read the information on the sheets of paper and in the bubbles before reading the actual text. To me this book may be a bit too stimulating for some readers as well. Due to the high frequency of information bubbles and examples of what is talked about, the reader can easily become overwhelmed by how much there is to know about a particular time period. This informative text takes a magical spin on science which makes it enjoyable to read. Overall this book was meant to inform the reader of the many animals and plants that are now fossils. ( )
  anunez1 | Feb 18, 2015 |
Ms. Frizzle takes her students on a wild journey into the past, to study the age of dinosaurs, and search for Maiasaura nests. The adventure begins when she receives an invitation from her friend Jeff, a paleontologist, to take her class and visit his archaeological site. They hop in her magical school bus, and dash off on a field trip. The students spend some time at the dig site and learn about the tools and trade of archaeology. When Ms. Frizzle learns that Jeff can't find the dinosaur nests he is seeking, though, the teacher decides the students need to take a different trip. This time, the school bus is transformed into a time machine, and the class whizzes back in time, taking brief stops in the Triassic, Jurassic, Cretaceous periods. They find the Maiasaura dinosaurs along with many others, and also learn about prehistoric lizards and plant life. Back in present time, Ms. Frizzle helpfully directs her friend to the correct location of the Maiasaura nests, and the class drives back to school just in time for Visitors Day. All of the children's relatives are impressed with the detail and verisimilitude in their various demonstrations of dinosaur life.
  astinchavez | Nov 7, 2014 |

The Magic School Bus series always mingles the fantasy of Ms Frizzle and her zany adventures with scientific facts and discoveries. I find it a delightful series that makes learning about science fun. Parents and teachers can discriminate with readers the details that are fact or fantasy, while teaching them about dinosaurs. In this book, many facts about different periods of prehistoric times are delivered with humor, educating while entertaining. The book is filled with text, dialogue bubbles, and multiple sidebars of interesting facts. The illustrations are likewise crammed with details, featuring lots of characters and animals, and numerous charts and mini illustrations in the sidebars. When I was a girl, I loved immersing myself in detailed children's books where you could always find something new, and this book is a treasure trove of finely detailed writing and illustrating. I definitely appreciate this book, and others in the series, as a fun approach to science. ( )
  nmhale | May 30, 2014 |
The central message of this Magic School Bus book is to get students engaged in learning science. Although it is hard to teach young students about science and similar topics in a picture book, the Magic School Bus series does a good job of getting students interested about the story within the first few pages. The main character, Ms. Frizzle, takes her class of students back in time to visit the dinosaurs. Young readers of this book will learn about the dinosaurs along with Ms. Frizzle's class. The illustrations, diagrams, and speech bubbles almost make the book interactive, allowing students to learn as much and as little as they would like to. As the author described how the Magic School Bus was flying back in time to the time of the dinosaurs, I could not help myself but to be excited about where the class was about to be going and what I was about to learning along with them. ( )
  DannieN | Sep 9, 2013 |

Cole, Joannaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deegen, BruceIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Armand Morgan, our personal guide to the time of the dinosaurs J.C.&B.D.
It was Visitors Day at our school.

To celebrate its 20th anniversary, Scholastic is re-releasing the ten original Magic School Bus titles in paperback. With updated scientific information, the bestselling science series ever is back!

The classroom is decorated as Dinosaur Land, but Ms. Frizzle-inspired by an archeological dig-craves a more authentic experience. The Magic School Bus turns into a time machine and transports the class back millions of years to an adventure where they learn about dinosaurs, their habitats and diets, and even a Maiasaura nesting ground.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:06 -0400)

La senorita Carola a bordo del autobus magico, llevara de excursion a los lectores, a los lugares mas asombrosos del universo.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,905,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible