The Tale of the Body Thief (Vampire…

The Tale of the Body Thief (Vampire Chronicles 4) (original 1992; edition 1993)

by Anne Rice

6,189None651 (3.43)36
Member:Nymeth
Title:The Tale of the Body Thief (Vampire Chronicles 4)
Authors:Anne Rice
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (1993), Paperback, 624 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Gothic and Horror

The Tale of the Body Thief by Anne Rice (1992)

20th century (16) American (22) American literature (13) Anne Rice (103) dark fantasy (29) ebook (22) fantasy (234) fiction (662) first edition (24) gothic (62) hardcover (25) horror (475) Lestat (61) New Orleans (25) novel (64) own (43) owned (13) paperback (29) paranormal (49) read (109) Rice (31) series (97) sff (19) signed (20) supernatural (77) to-read (33) unread (26) urban fantasy (13) Vampire Chronicles (191) vampires (816)

English (33)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (35)
This was my least favourite Vampire Chronicle, hands down.

However, after listening to the unabridged audiobook, I think I misjudged it the first time. I'm rather fond of it now. And I'm especially fond of the relationship between David and Lestat. Can I fangirl David Talbot? :) ( )
  alyslinn | May 25, 2013 |
This is one of my most favorite Anne Rice books ever, and I've read quite a few. The Tale of the Body Thief is one story I will never forget. Highly recommended. :) ( )
  bonniemarjorie | May 7, 2013 |
There are lots of suspense, drama and actions but it's not really as profound and meaningful as "The Vampire Lestat", although it's a better read than "The Queen of the Damned" in my opinion. David is one of my favourite characters of "Vampire Chronicles". ( )
  vlucia | Mar 2, 2013 |
This book is my favorite so far. I loved the theme of the story and the concept. Still had brooding vampires in it but not so much as usual. Also a much better adventure then any of the other stories in this series. Hopefully the series stays as interesting through the rest of it. ( )
  megan_harnett | Dec 17, 2012 |
  megan_harnett | Dec 17, 2012 |

Anne Riceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Muller, FrankNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Vampire Chronicles (omnibus) by Anne Rice

10 Anne Rice Books: Interview with the Vampire, The Feast of All Saints, Tale of the Body Thief, Lasher, Taltos, Servant by Anne Rice

5 Titles in Vampire Chronicles By Anne Rice - Vampire Lestat - Tale of the Body Thief - Queen of the Damned - Merrick - by Anne Rice

9 Book Collection of Anne Rice: The Queen of the Damned, The Tale of the Body Thief, Interview With The Vampire, Memnoch by Anne Rice

THE Vampire Chronicles - 5 Titles - Interview with the Vampire - The Vampire Lestat - The Queen of the Damned - The Tale by Anne Rice

Collector's Set (5-Paperback Books): Taltos, The Tale Of The Body Thief, Queen Of The Damned, The Vampire Lestat, Interview With The Vampire by Anne Rice

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

Sailing to Byzantium
by W.B. Yeats

I.

THAT is no country for old men. The young
In one another's arms, birds in the trees
- Those dying generations - at their song,
The salmon-falls, the mackerel-crowded seas,
Fish, flesh, or fowl, commend all summer long
Whatever is begotten, born, and dies.
Caught in that sensual music all neglect
Monuments of unageing intellect.

II.

An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing, and louder sing
For every tatter in its mortal dress,
Nor is there singing school but studying
Monuments of its own magnificence;
And therefore I have sailed the seas and come
To the holy city of Byzantium.

III.

O sages standing in God's holy fire
As in the gold mosaic of a wall,
Come from the holy fire, perne in a gyre,
And be the singing-masters of my soul.
Consume my heart away; sick with desire
And fastened to a dying animal
It knows not what it is; and gather me
Into the artifice of eternity.

IV.

Once out of nature I shall never take
My bodily form from any natural thing,
But such a form as Grecian goldsmiths make
Of hammered gold and gold enamelling
To keep a drowsy Emperor awake;
Or set upon a golden bough to sing
To lords and ladies of Byzantium
Of what is past, or passing, or to come.
For my parents,

Howard and Katherine O'Brien.

Your dreams and your courage will be with me alll of my days
The Vampire Lestat here. I have a story to tell you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 034538475X, Mass Market Paperback)

It's been said that Vladimir Nabokov's best novels are the ones he wrote after starting a failed novel. Anne Rice wrote The Body Thief, the fourth thrilling episode of her Vampire Chronicles, right after she spent a long time poring over that most romantic of horror novels, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, to research a novel Rice abandoned about an artificial man. Perhaps as a result of Shelley's influence, The Body Thief is far more psychologically penetrating than its predecessors, with a laser-like focus on a single tormented soul. Oh, we meet some wild new characters, and Rice's toothsome vampire-hero Lestat zooms around the globe--as is his magical habit--from Miami to the Gobi desert, but he's in such despair that he trades his immortal body to a con man named Raglan James, who offers him in return two days of strictly mortal bliss.

Lestat has always had a faulty impulse-control valve, and it gets him in truly intriguing trouble this time. On the plus side, he gets to experience romance with a nun and orange juice--"thick like blood, but full of sweetness." But Lestat is horrified by an uncommon cold, and his toilet training proves traumatic. He's also got to catch Raglan James, who has no intention of giving up his dishonestly acquired new superpowered body. Lestat enlists the help of David Talbot, a mortal in the Talamasca, a secret society of immortal watchers described in Queen of the Damned.

The swapping of bodies and supernatural stories is choice, and there's even a moral: never give a bloodsucker an even break. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:47 -0400)

In 1992 Miami, the immortal vampire Lestat finds himself alone, yearning to regain his soul and to once again experience the joys and anguish of being human.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,428,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible