The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice

The Vampire Lestat (original 1985; edition 1986)

by Anne Rice

Member:crimson-tide
Title:The Vampire Lestat
Authors:Anne Rice
Info:Futura Books (1986), Paperback, 600 pages
Tags:fiction, vampires, gothic, fantasy

The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice (1985)

Recently added byprivate library, nycke137, SteveWollett, Bob_dylan140, KRoan, Tenb, Theadora78
Legacy LibrariesNewton 'Bud' Flounders
    The Family: Liam by KV Taylor (MinaKelly)
    The Taker by Alma Katsu (becksdakex)
    Les Histories naturals by Joan Perucho (elenchus)
    elenchus: Perucho establishes a fine mood, equally eerie as Rice but much different. The Vampire here is in the shadows rather than pouring out a confessional to the reader, and is all the more effective for it.

English (79)  German (2)  All languages (81)
In Interview with the Vampire, we learn the life (up til now) of Louis. We learn about how he was made (by Lestat), his travels with Lestat and Claudia, and then Armand. Lestat is in this book is evil, bad, selfish, uncaring, unhuman.

Well, the very beginning of The Vampire Lestat, Lestat wakes up, finds out about the book, and sets himself up to tell his side of the story. So while there was the acknowledgement of the other book, this book told it's own tale. One wouldn't have to read Interview in order to understand what was happening here. That is a skill that I don't see much in book series. There was no part of the book where Rice felt she needed to remind readers of something in the former book--that's skill.

So what is Lestat up to, if it is not to merely parrot back Louis' account in Interview? Well, we learn of how he was created, how certain things began in Paris and France. We learn more about how vampires were created in the first place, the power that vampires get as they age, and the loneliness they face.

It's a pretty thrilling book! ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
What can I say? I love Anne Rice's vampires, especially Lestat. He is truly the "brat prince." You want him for a friend, despite his being a vampire, but you also want to slap him up side the head. I've read all of the vampire books and loved them all. I wish Ms. Rice would give us a few more of them. ( )
  JLMartinez | Jun 12, 2014 |
I just want to note that the way I went about reading The Vampire Lestat is somewhat unusual... having watched the movie to Interview with the Vampire, I was mildly interested in the stories of Lestat and Louis, but only so. The truth is that I am not one for historical fiction, my attention drifting if something is not set in the modern day, so I never planned to read either Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, or any books following. What roused me to reading the second book, however, was the development of Lestat becoming a rock star.

That is nowhere near the main focus so I do not feel like I am spoiling much, but it was the new setting of the 1980s (modern times for when this was written, close enough for me) that made me interested in reading it. That, and why in the world would the vampire Lestat become a rock star? I saw the movie. He was cruel and sadistic, not outrageous and flamboyant, at least by Louis' account of him. Still, I had only read Chapter 1 at that point. I decided to buy the second book to use some of the details for a college report on gothic literature. I got to roughly 1/4 of the way through the book before I stopped and read Interview with the Vampire fully first. It seems to be in my nature to have a need for chronology, so the beginning of the Vampire Lestat was in my mind as I read through the previous book, then again to finish both this novel and its graphic novel adaptation interchangeably, as something amusing since I had acquired both versions.

As for what I noticed in the writing, as I had said in a review of Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat has a very distinct change in narration that I applaud Anne Rice for. Louis' narration from the previous book was fairly dreary and allowed the book to drag for me, since I knew most of the events from the movie. Lestat's narration, on the other hand, kept this book to be a true page-turner. Both voices articulated their tales very eloquently and detailed, painting pictures as they went, but Lestat had that difference in personality to even outdo the classic in my eyes. (And yes, I do regard Interview as a classic, at least in horror/vampire literature; everyone should read it at least once). Lestat simply had a cockiness that had only arisen in small moments of Interview, so I hadn't expected to see it here.

Lestat's character had truly surprised me. Before I had finished reading the book, I had rewatched Interview with the Vampire's movie twice, bought the graphic novel adaptation and read that alongside it, watched a recording of Lestat: the Musical and bought that production's Broadway poster. Clearly, it was this second book that hooked me, if that is of any indication to anyone reading this review of the effect it may have on you. While reading, I was completely baffled on why on earth he would join a rock band in the beginning, since it flashed back afterwards to his life before vampirism. I would go to my friends asking, "He was like this in Interview, right? So then, why is he suddenly like THIS?!" It wasn't until the book was near its finished that I discovered the attitude Lestat had that someone had to skillfully read between the lines to see, past Louis' interpretation of him as a monster - he just didn't give a damn. He was a free spirit. He had ideas and acted on them, forming plans around them afterwards. With that personality bubbling to the surface, I enjoyed this book much more than I thought I would from looking at either incarnation of Interview.

With those notes on voice and personality and character revelation in mind...the third book: Queen of the Damned. I will be moving onto that book, and later the movie (even though I've heard nothing but terrible thing out the movie, my curiosity will no doubt drive me). So you may see me review that too. ( )
  MoonSpider | Jun 2, 2014 |
Lestat awakens after many decades under the earth. He’s greeted with a new world, a world of music and freedom and excitement and infinite possibilities

And a world where Louis has had a book written. One that could use some… corrections. Or elaborations

But far more important than that is to seek the opportunity this new world presents and produce a grand spectacle – one that breaks all the rules and will shake vampire society to its core. The presentation of Lestat’s history. All of it – to a world stage

The Vampire Lestat is definitely an improvement to Interview With a Vampire, bringing far more action, far more exploration of the world and far more revelation of the nature of vampires than ever Louis’ interminable naval gazing and angst ever brought us. This was definitely a step up.

But first let’s hit some problems I had.

Firstly, wordiness. This book was over 500 pages long and could easily be half that. These books are painfully, horrendously over-written, repetitive, prone to long monologues and incapable of leaving anything to inference. No matter what the good points are with this book, I ultimately still struggle because of this morass of excess verbiage I have to struggle through to actually reach the story. Yes, it’s wonderful to be transported to the scene with excellent, evocative language use – but that is done and then some. And then it is repeated. And no-one can feel emotion without it being described in incredible length – nothing is left to inference. There are times when it is clear Lestat is happy or angry or sad and we don’t really need several paragraphs of elaborate text telling us it.

This is especially a problem here because what Louis was to angsty whining, Lestat is to hyperbolic melodrama. Louis is whiney. Lestat is moody. Both of which require pages and pages and pages to describe.

I also didn’t particularly like the endless philosophy leveraged in – not because it couldn’t have been interesting but because, again, it’s long winded and repetitive with the same tired points repeated over and over again without any real depth or development beyond further repetition. This only gets worse if you’ve read Interview with a Vampire because it’s the same points, the same philosophy that was already repeated ad nauseum there.

Now, let’s hit some good. One of the main things I loved was the presentation of Louis as an unreliable narrator. So often books are presented as showing what was in a story, despite the fact they are often narrated from a very skewed point of view. I loved the idea that, for all we’ve read in the first book, there was a decent chance that Louis was lying about some of it. And if not lying, he was clearly misinterpreting or misunderstanding a great deal. And through that lens of misunderstanding we learned far more about Louis than we did from his own words alone.

Reading this, we can see Louis’s arrogance, the snap assumptions he makes. Someone isn’t interested in what he is? They must be ignorant, or uneducated or shallow. Someone isn’t finding rapture in what he is – it’s their limited viewpoint, not because they may have already experienced it. Someone isn’t interested in the questions? Such shallow thinking! It couldn’t be because they already have the answers. Louis, previously the deep and meaningful vampire in a sea of shallow misunderstanding is exposed as being isolated by his own arrogant assumptions and self-centredness – his own ignorance and refusal to consider that he could be ignorant.

Almost as dramatic is the transformation of Armand. Far from the enlightened trailblazer, we see the consummate follower, the man – the eternal child – always looking for someone to show him the way. Even his seeking Louis for a connection to the modern world isn’t his own thinking – it’s the last advice Gabrielle gave him

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Apr 24, 2014 |
My second reading (the first was about ten years ago) of Rice's second novel in her Vampire Chronicles. It's still amazing. I love authors who can develop their characters to such a fullness that you miss them when you finish the novel, and Rice does exactly that. (Another author that's great at this is John Irving)

The span of time and the sub-stories of Armand and Marius just make the work that much more epic. If I didn't have a ton of other subjects that I suddenly want to read up on, I would definitely re-read Queen of the Damned ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |

Anne Riceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Muller, FrankNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tarkka, HannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Vampire Chronicles (omnibus) by Anne Rice

5 Titles in Vampire Chronicles By Anne Rice - Vampire Lestat - Tale of the Body Thief - Queen of the Damned - Merrick - by Anne Rice

The Vampire Chronicles: Interview with the Vampire,The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned (Books 1-3) by Anne Rice

THE Vampire Chronicles - 5 Titles - Interview with the Vampire - The Vampire Lestat - The Queen of the Damned - The Tale by Anne Rice

Anne Rice's The Vampire Lestat [graphic novel #6] by Anne Rice

Anne Rice's The Vampire Lestat [graphic novel #7] by Faye Perozich

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

This book is dedicated with love to Stan Rice, Karen O'Brien, and Allen Daviau
I am the vampire Lestat. I'm immortal. More or less.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345313860, Mass Market Paperback)

After the spectacular debut of Interview with the Vampire in 1976, Anne Rice put aside her vampires to explore other literary interests--Italian castrati in Cry to Heaven and the Free People of Color in The Feast of All Saints. But Lestat, the mischievous creator of Louis in Interview, finally emerged to tell his own story in the 1985 sequel, The Vampire Lestat.

As with the first book in the series, the novel begins with a frame narrative. After over a half century underground, Lestat awakens in the 1980s to the cacophony of electronic sounds and images that characterizes the MTV generation. Particularly, he is captivated by a fledgling rock band named Satan's Night Out. Determined both to achieve international fame and end the centuries of self-imposed vampire silence, Lestat takes command of the band (now renamed "The Vampire Lestat") and pens his own autobiography. The remainder of the novel purports to be that autobiography: the vampire traces his mortal youth as the son of a marquis in pre-Revolutionary France, his initiation into vampirism at the hands of Magnus, and his quest for the ultimate origins of his undead species.

While very different from the first novel in the Vampire Chronicles, The Vampire Lestat has proved to be the foundation for a broader range of narratives than is possible from Louis's brooding, passive perspective. The character of Lestat is one of Rice's most complex and popular literary alter egos, and his Faustian strivings have a mythopoeic resonance that links the novel to a grand tradition of spiritual and supernatural fiction. --Patrick O'Kelley

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:54 -0400)

Lestat has risen from his long sleep as a modern day rock star, and makes public his story of boyhood in eighteenth-century France and initiation into vampiredom in order to solve the mystery of his existence.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,613,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible