The Vampire Lestat (Vampire Chronicles) by…

The Vampire Lestat (Vampire Chronicles) (original 1985; edition 2007)

by Anne Rice

Member:SaudAlfuhaid
Title:The Vampire Lestat (Vampire Chronicles)
Authors:Anne Rice
Info:Ballantine Books Inc. (2007), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 481 pages
Rating:****1/2

The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice (1985)

The Family: Liam by KV Taylor (MinaKelly)
    The Taker by Alma Katsu (becksdakex)
    Les Histories naturals by Joan Perucho (elenchus)
    elenchus: Perucho establishes a fine mood, equally eerie as Rice but much different. The Vampire here is in the shadows rather than pouring out a confessional to the reader, and is all the more effective for it.

English (81)  German (2)  All languages (83)
I give in. Buddy read with Angela, Cory, Sharon, Haven and Barbara on October 1st.

**After having read about Rice's antics, I ha decided to never support her as an author.

Then Ang and Cory came along and gushed and gushed and dammit. I'm curious. I also happen to have bought a paperback copy for 25¢ a few years ago, so I'm just gonna read it, rather than let it keep gathering dust in my closet.

But Anne Rice can still go suck a fat one for her shitty behavior. Google it, if you're curious.
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
I give up. I read half of this and I can't go on any longer. I value my life and cannot allow myself to continue to die slowly of boredom. ( )
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
In Interview with the Vampire, we learn the life (up til now) of Louis. We learn about how he was made (by Lestat), his travels with Lestat and Claudia, and then Armand. Lestat is in this book is evil, bad, selfish, uncaring, unhuman.

Well, the very beginning of The Vampire Lestat, Lestat wakes up, finds out about the book, and sets himself up to tell his side of the story. So while there was the acknowledgement of the other book, this book told it's own tale. One wouldn't have to read Interview in order to understand what was happening here. That is a skill that I don't see much in book series. There was no part of the book where Rice felt she needed to remind readers of something in the former book--that's skill.

So what is Lestat up to, if it is not to merely parrot back Louis' account in Interview? Well, we learn of how he was created, how certain things began in Paris and France. We learn more about how vampires were created in the first place, the power that vampires get as they age, and the loneliness they face.

It's a pretty thrilling book! ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
What can I say? I love Anne Rice's vampires, especially Lestat. He is truly the "brat prince." You want him for a friend, despite his being a vampire, but you also want to slap him up side the head. I've read all of the vampire books and loved them all. I wish Ms. Rice would give us a few more of them. ( )
  JLMartinez | Jun 12, 2014 |
I just want to note that the way I went about reading The Vampire Lestat is somewhat unusual... having watched the movie to Interview with the Vampire, I was mildly interested in the stories of Lestat and Louis, but only so. The truth is that I am not one for historical fiction, my attention drifting if something is not set in the modern day, so I never planned to read either Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, or any books following. What roused me to reading the second book, however, was the development of Lestat becoming a rock star.

That is nowhere near the main focus so I do not feel like I am spoiling much, but it was the new setting of the 1980s (modern times for when this was written, close enough for me) that made me interested in reading it. That, and why in the world would the vampire Lestat become a rock star? I saw the movie. He was cruel and sadistic, not outrageous and flamboyant, at least by Louis' account of him. Still, I had only read Chapter 1 at that point. I decided to buy the second book to use some of the details for a college report on gothic literature. I got to roughly 1/4 of the way through the book before I stopped and read Interview with the Vampire fully first. It seems to be in my nature to have a need for chronology, so the beginning of the Vampire Lestat was in my mind as I read through the previous book, then again to finish both this novel and its graphic novel adaptation interchangeably, as something amusing since I had acquired both versions.

As for what I noticed in the writing, as I had said in a review of Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat has a very distinct change in narration that I applaud Anne Rice for. Louis' narration from the previous book was fairly dreary and allowed the book to drag for me, since I knew most of the events from the movie. Lestat's narration, on the other hand, kept this book to be a true page-turner. Both voices articulated their tales very eloquently and detailed, painting pictures as they went, but Lestat had that difference in personality to even outdo the classic in my eyes. (And yes, I do regard Interview as a classic, at least in horror/vampire literature; everyone should read it at least once). Lestat simply had a cockiness that had only arisen in small moments of Interview, so I hadn't expected to see it here.

Lestat's character had truly surprised me. Before I had finished reading the book, I had rewatched Interview with the Vampire's movie twice, bought the graphic novel adaptation and read that alongside it, watched a recording of Lestat: the Musical and bought that production's Broadway poster. Clearly, it was this second book that hooked me, if that is of any indication to anyone reading this review of the effect it may have on you. While reading, I was completely baffled on why on earth he would join a rock band in the beginning, since it flashed back afterwards to his life before vampirism. I would go to my friends asking, "He was like this in Interview, right? So then, why is he suddenly like THIS?!" It wasn't until the book was near its finished that I discovered the attitude Lestat had that someone had to skillfully read between the lines to see, past Louis' interpretation of him as a monster - he just didn't give a damn. He was a free spirit. He had ideas and acted on them, forming plans around them afterwards. With that personality bubbling to the surface, I enjoyed this book much more than I thought I would from looking at either incarnation of Interview.

With those notes on voice and personality and character revelation in mind...the third book: Queen of the Damned. I will be moving onto that book, and later the movie (even though I've heard nothing but terrible thing out the movie, my curiosity will no doubt drive me). So you may see me review that too. ( )
  MoonSpider | Jun 2, 2014 |

Anne Riceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Muller, FrankNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tarkka, HannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Vampire Chronicles (omnibus) by Anne Rice

5 Titles in Vampire Chronicles By Anne Rice - Vampire Lestat - Tale of the Body Thief - Queen of the Damned - Merrick - by Anne Rice

The Vampire Chronicles: Interview with the Vampire,The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned (Books 1-3) by Anne Rice

THE Vampire Chronicles - 5 Titles - Interview with the Vampire - The Vampire Lestat - The Queen of the Damned - The Tale by Anne Rice

Anne Rice's The Vampire Lestat [graphic novel #6] by Anne Rice

Anne Rice's The Vampire Lestat [graphic novel #7] by Faye Perozich

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

This book is dedicated with love to Stan Rice, Karen O'Brien, and Allen Daviau
I am the vampire Lestat. I'm immortal. More or less.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345313860, Mass Market Paperback)

After the spectacular debut of Interview with the Vampire in 1976, Anne Rice put aside her vampires to explore other literary interests--Italian castrati in Cry to Heaven and the Free People of Color in The Feast of All Saints. But Lestat, the mischievous creator of Louis in Interview, finally emerged to tell his own story in the 1985 sequel, The Vampire Lestat.

As with the first book in the series, the novel begins with a frame narrative. After over a half century underground, Lestat awakens in the 1980s to the cacophony of electronic sounds and images that characterizes the MTV generation. Particularly, he is captivated by a fledgling rock band named Satan's Night Out. Determined both to achieve international fame and end the centuries of self-imposed vampire silence, Lestat takes command of the band (now renamed "The Vampire Lestat") and pens his own autobiography. The remainder of the novel purports to be that autobiography: the vampire traces his mortal youth as the son of a marquis in pre-Revolutionary France, his initiation into vampirism at the hands of Magnus, and his quest for the ultimate origins of his undead species.

While very different from the first novel in the Vampire Chronicles, The Vampire Lestat has proved to be the foundation for a broader range of narratives than is possible from Louis's brooding, passive perspective. The character of Lestat is one of Rice's most complex and popular literary alter egos, and his Faustian strivings have a mythopoeic resonance that links the novel to a grand tradition of spiritual and supernatural fiction. --Patrick O'Kelley

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:54 -0400)

Lestat has risen from his long sleep as a modern day rock star, and makes public his story of boyhood in eighteenth-century France and initiation into vampiredom in order to solve the mystery of his existence.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,253,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible