The Vampire Lestat (Vampire Chronicles) by…

The Vampire Lestat (Vampire Chronicles) (original 1985; edition 2007)

by Anne Rice

Member:SaudAlfuhaid
Title:The Vampire Lestat (Vampire Chronicles)
Authors:Anne Rice
Info:Ballantine Books Inc. (2007), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 481 pages
Rating:****1/2

The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice (1985)

The Family: Liam by KV Taylor (MinaKelly)
    The Taker by Alma Katsu (becksdakex)
    Les Histories naturals by Joan Perucho (elenchus)
    elenchus: Perucho establishes a fine mood, equally eerie as Rice but much different. The Vampire here is in the shadows rather than pouring out a confessional to the reader, and is all the more effective for it.

English (83)  German (2)  All languages (85)
Anne Rice, The Vampire Lestat – Book 2 of the Vampire Chronicles

It's been some years since I read Interview With a Vampire (great!) and the movie of the same name (a bit watered down, but still frightening), so I thought I'd move onto the next book in Rice's Vampire Chronicles, about the vampire Lestat.

In the first book, Louis decided to have a tell-all with a man regarding the life and suffering of a vampire. In that book he mentioned and described Lestat in great detail. The homoerotica was implied and the book paced well, with the requisite bits of horror left mostly to the imagination.

The second book is very similar. Lestat rises from the earth somewhere in New Orleans (all is explained why he was buried in the first place) after a several-decade absence and creates a rock band and writes lyrics all about vampires – their history, origins and so on – which he knows is expressly forbidden by all. He knows he's probably in for it, and feels that he is up to the challenge. Lestat craves notoriety among his kind, as strongly as, I would say, his thirst for blood!

Rice paints a picture of a sympathetic man with a rough childhood who beats the demons of his well-endowed family with an encounter with wolves – an exciting chapter that has the reader just as scared and feel the harsh breathe of the wolves as well as Lestat does! This changes him, and we see how this creates just the personality for a vampire.

An ancient vampire who is also prone to break the rules, Magnus, gives Lestat the freedom he desires – the kidnapping sequence is a bit hard to follow – and though committing suicide via flame – gives Lestat enough information and enough gold to create his own world. What world would that be?

Lestat has a relationship with his close friend Nicholas, the Theater in Paris, his disowned family (except his mother Gabrielle, who plays a strong female lead, especially in the last chapters) and the city of Paris. The development of Lestat and his attitudes are constant, are surprising, and delightfully morbid in their presentation.

The book proceeds through much of the "origin of Lestat" (my words) and though a plot hole or two are apparent (what's up with Those Who Must Be Kept?), I did like the mystery. What happened to Armand? Where did his old mentor Marius go in the 20th Century? And what of the deliciously stolid Akasha and her jealous king-husband? Were they really the first of the line?

Bottom Line: You really can't put this book down. Anne Rice mixes 18th century propriety and 20th century horror (complete with a rock concert at San Francisco's Cow Palace!) that to me was an improvement over "Interview With a Vampire" and made me crave "Queen of the Damned", the next Chronicle. Can't wait!

jmourgos | Sep 12, 2014 |
Was a 4 star but changed for personal reasons to a one. ( )
  bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
I give in. Buddy read with Angela, Cory, Sharon, Haven and Barbara on October 1st.

**After having read about Rice's antics, I ha decided to never support her as an author.

Then Ang and Cory came along and gushed and gushed and dammit. I'm curious. I also happen to have bought a paperback copy for 25¢ a few years ago, so I'm just gonna read it, rather than let it keep gathering dust in my closet.

But Anne Rice can still go suck a fat one for her shitty behavior. Google it, if you're curious.
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
I give up. I read half of this and I can't go on any longer. I value my life and cannot allow myself to continue to die slowly of boredom. ( )
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
In Interview with the Vampire, we learn the life (up til now) of Louis. We learn about how he was made (by Lestat), his travels with Lestat and Claudia, and then Armand. Lestat is in this book is evil, bad, selfish, uncaring, unhuman.

Well, the very beginning of The Vampire Lestat, Lestat wakes up, finds out about the book, and sets himself up to tell his side of the story. So while there was the acknowledgement of the other book, this book told it's own tale. One wouldn't have to read Interview in order to understand what was happening here. That is a skill that I don't see much in book series. There was no part of the book where Rice felt she needed to remind readers of something in the former book--that's skill.

So what is Lestat up to, if it is not to merely parrot back Louis' account in Interview? Well, we learn of how he was created, how certain things began in Paris and France. We learn more about how vampires were created in the first place, the power that vampires get as they age, and the loneliness they face.

It's a pretty thrilling book! ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

Anne Riceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Muller, FrankNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tarkka, HannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Vampire Chronicles (omnibus) by Anne Rice

5 Titles in Vampire Chronicles By Anne Rice - Vampire Lestat - Tale of the Body Thief - Queen of the Damned - Merrick - by Anne Rice

The Vampire Chronicles: Interview with the Vampire,The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned (Books 1-3) by Anne Rice

THE Vampire Chronicles - 5 Titles - Interview with the Vampire - The Vampire Lestat - The Queen of the Damned - The Tale by Anne Rice

Anne Rice's The Vampire Lestat [graphic novel #6] by Anne Rice

Anne Rice's The Vampire Lestat [graphic novel #7] by Faye Perozich

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

This book is dedicated with love to Stan Rice, Karen O'Brien, and Allen Daviau
I am the vampire Lestat. I'm immortal. More or less.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345313860, Mass Market Paperback)

After the spectacular debut of Interview with the Vampire in 1976, Anne Rice put aside her vampires to explore other literary interests--Italian castrati in Cry to Heaven and the Free People of Color in The Feast of All Saints. But Lestat, the mischievous creator of Louis in Interview, finally emerged to tell his own story in the 1985 sequel, The Vampire Lestat.

As with the first book in the series, the novel begins with a frame narrative. After over a half century underground, Lestat awakens in the 1980s to the cacophony of electronic sounds and images that characterizes the MTV generation. Particularly, he is captivated by a fledgling rock band named Satan's Night Out. Determined both to achieve international fame and end the centuries of self-imposed vampire silence, Lestat takes command of the band (now renamed "The Vampire Lestat") and pens his own autobiography. The remainder of the novel purports to be that autobiography: the vampire traces his mortal youth as the son of a marquis in pre-Revolutionary France, his initiation into vampirism at the hands of Magnus, and his quest for the ultimate origins of his undead species.

While very different from the first novel in the Vampire Chronicles, The Vampire Lestat has proved to be the foundation for a broader range of narratives than is possible from Louis's brooding, passive perspective. The character of Lestat is one of Rice's most complex and popular literary alter egos, and his Faustian strivings have a mythopoeic resonance that links the novel to a grand tradition of spiritual and supernatural fiction. --Patrick O'Kelley

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:54 -0400)

Lestat has risen from his long sleep as a modern day rock star, and makes public his story of boyhood in eighteenth-century France and initiation into vampiredom in order to solve the mystery of his existence.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,975,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible