Follow the Dream: The Story of Christopher…

Follow the Dream: The Story of Christopher Columbus

by Peter Sis

I liked this book because it was a short but to the point description of Christopher Columbus' journey to America. The author talks about Christopher Columbus' dream ever since he was little was to reach the Orient by a new route. After being rejected a few times already, Christopher stayed positive and asked the King and Queen once more and was finally granted his wish and was given three ships, food, supplies and men to take on his journey. His journey ended up leading him to discover America.
My favorite thing about this book was the pictures. They had so much detail put into each picture and they were really able to catch my attention. I really enjoyed this book and I think young children will like it too because it's easy to follow along and I think they will enjoy looking at the pictures. This would be a good book to read to students on Columbus Day and give them background on how Columbus discovered America and even after being knocked down a few times, he still never gave up and went after his dreams. ( )
  lcrosby | Jan 20, 2016 |
Nonfiction, straightforward, illustrated brief history of Columbus's determination to reach his goal. Persistence. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Summary: This book is a short description of Christopher Columus' journey to America. It discussed the trouble he had at first getting someone to believe that land lay to the west, and then went on to talk briefly about the journey to what he believed to be Japan, but was actually America.

Personal Reaction: The pictures in the book were what made the book so good for me. It was a short story that got to the point, and was expanded through pictures. I liked it and think that kids would enjoy and understand it easily.

Classroom Extensions:
1: Discuss locations of countries mentioned in the story, to better help kids understand.

2: Kids could reenact the book by dressing up and making their own ships. This could reinforce the history of it.
  yelhsajoh | Apr 15, 2015 |
There are a few reasons why I like this book. The first reasons I liked it is because this nonfiction book was organized and accurate. It has truth in that it speaks about how Columbus was denied ships the first few times he went to ask the king and queen for them. The book even mentions the specific things that motivated Columbus to sail. The second reason I like the book is the illustrations. When the ships are mentioned there are images of what is stored inside of the ship. When the book talks about how Columbus kept a log while at sea, there are images of a log with pictures for each entry. The images throughout the book look interesting and different than pictures in many other children's books. The big idea of this book is to teach about the life of Christopher Columbus and what he accomplished in his lifetime. ( )
  vboch1 | Feb 19, 2015 |
I Think this is an excellent book to introduce students to Christopher Columbus. It's clear and to the point. It's filled with just enough information. ( )
  rrobinson2 | Nov 27, 2013 |

Illus. in full color. The 15th century comes alive in this splendidly original picture book about Christopher Columbus. "The illustrations, executed in a variety of media, show scenes from the explorer's life as well as some imaginary creatures that populated the Europeans' picture of the outside world at that time. The details on each page invite individual readers to pay close attention, but the brief, clear text and framed illustrations lend themselves equally well to group sharing. Make room on your crowded Columbus shelf for this one."--(starred) School Library Journal.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:08 -0400)

Christopher Columbus overcomes a number of obstacles to fulfill his dream of sailing west to find a new route to the Orient.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,861,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible