Ice In His Veins: A Nicky D'Amico Mystery by…

Ice In His Veins: A Nicky D'Amico Mystery

by Chuck Zito

Mysteries can be tricky books to pull off, wahat with having to figure out the balance of the plot and new characters to introduce and get the reader to care about, and competing against lots of books with essentially similar structures. In this case, though, Zito achieved the balance nicely, and came out with a book that is fairly light to read, has a good plot and fun characters, neither of which come off hackneyed.

This is the second of the mysteries starring Nicky D'Amico, an Italian-American stage director. In this one, he's returned to New York City to help manage a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream where many of the actors and associated staff are friends of his from college. These include both the love interests in the story, too, his ex Marcus and his friend Sean. The interplay between the characters really does get across that they're old pals.

The murder that comes at the end of Act I is of one of this set of friends, and there's no shortage of suspects, but all the information you need to figure out who really did it is there; I still guessed wrong, though. I'm not afraid to admit that, and it makes it easier to recommend the novel. The plot and pacing are quite good all around, I find, and the style, light and playful, works well, too.

There were a couple of points where I was rolling my eyes a bit, I have to say, because of the adherence to some mystery archetypes. When one character has a Big Secret that he can't share on the phone, and then wanders off at the theater, I knew that he was done for. But these moments are very few in the story, so it's easy to forgive.

All in all, I really enjoyed this book; it's sad that there won't be any more of them in the series now. It does make it easy to read all of them, though. ( )
  Capfox | Aug 1, 2008 |

After a disastrous stint as stage manager at a Catholic college, Nicky D'Amico moves back to New York to get his life in order. The good Company's all-male production of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" is a little unorthodox, but he's thrilled about working with some of his old college friends.
This midwinter production of "Dream" soon becomes a nightmare when one of the actors is found dead behind the theater. It's clear that the murderer is someone with the production-one of them!
The show must go on, but with someone hiding liquor bottles all over the set, more than one diva with an untrustworthy entourage, and two cute guys vying for his affections, Nicky has his hands full. Everyone is a suspect, and Nicky must figure out who the killer is-before it's curtains for another cast member.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:11 -0400)

Nicky D'Amico is thrilled to be back in New York working with his old college buddies on an all-male production of A Midsummer Night's Dream. When one of the actors is found dead, it's clear that the killer is someone in the production - one of them

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,387,355 books! | Top bar: Always visible