Wilde zwanen drie dochters van China by Jung…

Wilde zwanen drie dochters van China (original 1991; edition 1992)

by Jung Chang

5,808111732 (4.12)1 / 323
Member:joucy
Title:Wilde zwanen drie dochters van China
Authors:Jung Chang
Info:Amsterdam Amber 1992
Rating:*****
Tags:China, geschiedenis, familieroman

Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang (1991)

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck (ominogue)
    The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan (Jennie_103)
    Jennie_103: Another story of generations of chinese women.
    Red China Blues: My Long March From Mao to Now by Jan Wong (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Another interesting memoir about a young woman's excitement and then disillusionment at Mao's China.
    Eighth Moon: The True Story of a Young Girl's Life in Communist China by Bette Lord (MarthaJeanne)
    Wild Ginger by Anchee Min (mcenroeucsb)
    Mother's Ordeal: One Woman's Fight Against China's One-Child Policy by Steven W. Mosher (inbedwithbooks)
    Falling Leaves: The Memoir of an Unwanted Chinese Daughter by Adeline Yen Mah (loriephillips)
    A Thread of Sky by Deanna Fei (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: A fictional story of three generations of Chinese American women who travel back to China together.

English (87)  Dutch (9)  German (4)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (2)  Hebrew (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Japanese (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (110)
Loved this book, a real eye-opener to life in China at this time. These women struggled but stayed determined until the end ( )
  Tony2704 | Mar 17, 2015 |
In this 1991 book, the author, who was born in1952 in Yibin, China, of her grandmother, her mother, and her own life in China. She relates the bizarre events that Mao put China through, and tells how brain-washed she and millions of Chinese were. I found the stuff which Mao forced the Chinese people to do mind-bobbling. One is amazed that a people could be so bamboozled so long. Not till shortly before Mao died in 1976 did the author come to see that he was a thoroughly evil person.. I found the major part of the book not good reading, since there is so much detail of things hard to believe. Not till the author comes to relate how she finally became enlightened did I start to enjoy the reading--and that was near the end of the book.. ( )
  Schmerguls | Feb 14, 2015 |
At the end of chapter nine, I'm setting this one aside.

The first section, about the author's grandmother's life, was amazing. I learned so much about China that I didn't really grasp before, like a bit about the regional differences within China and the history between China and Japan. I also learned more about what China was doing during WWII, which I'm not sure anyone ever taught me in school (but then, I've forgotten a lot that I used to know, so perhaps that's a failure of my retention rather than a failure of public school curriculum).

But the book is so incredibly detailed, and when she gets into her mother's life during the Communist revolution and all of the intrusions by the government into individuals' personal lives, the book became a slog for me. I want so badly to keep reading it because I feel like I'm learning so much and gaining a valuable perspective, but I'm stalled. So, I'll set it aside but keep it on my to-read list and maybe I'll pick it up after a few months.
  ImperfectCJ | Nov 6, 2014 |
I don't consider this an autobiography. There are no sources listed other than a series of recordings that the author made with her mother in the 1980's about the family history. Without sources and citations to back up what is said this is a memoir.

As a memoir it works quite well. The author makes no secret of her biases and viewpoints. Her greatest mistake is that the projects these viewpoints onto others of her family. Even so this is riveting reading. It is an insiders look at the Cultural Revolution and how the Communist party worked, and to some degree, still works, in modern China. The important part of this book is that it explains how China made the transition from Developing Country to the powerhouse Developed Country it is today. For that alone I would recommend this book, even with its faults. ( )
2 vote benitastrnad | Jul 5, 2014 |
A truly moving and stunning biographical work, Chang tells the three interconnected stories of her grandmother, mother and herself, together all of whom experienced the most tumultuous century in Chinese history. Her gift of writing not only brings the shocking events to life, but the reader feels for each character and is moved by their stories and hardships. This book is obviously deeply personal to Chang, and it reads so: like reading a collection of diaries. An important book to read to understand the personal impacts the last century has had on the Chinese. ( )
  xuebi | May 30, 2014 |

Jung Changprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Castelli Gair, GianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Castelli-Gair Hombría, Giansecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Castelli-Gair Hombría, GianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chu-tanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hout, Bert Willem van derCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Syrier, PaulTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my grandmother and my father who did not live to see this book
At the age of fifteen my grandmother became the concubine of a warlord general, the police chief of a tenuous national government of China.
With luck, one could fall in love after getting married

Alleen schrijvers met een uitzonderlijk talent lukt het om grote historische gebeurtenissen zo te beschrijven dat de lezer diep geëmotioneerd raakt. Een schrijver moet ook over veel overtuigings- en verbeeldingskracht beschikken om de lezer deelgenoot te maken van de gevoelens die de personages beheersen. Over dat talent beschikt de Chinese schrijfster Jung Chang. In Wilde zwanen, drie dochters van China vertelt zij de buitengewone levensgeschiedenis van haar grootmoeder, concubine van een generaal in het feodale China; en ten slotte het indrukwekkende verhaal hoe zij zelf als jong meisje in China opgroeide. Wilde zwanen geeft een panoramische visie van drie vrouwen op een complexe samenleving in de vorm van intieme memoires, prachtige portretten en verteld als een meeslepende kroniek van het twintigste-eeuwse China. En ondanks de haast onvoorstelbare gruwelen die de familie van Jung Chang ten deel zijn gevallen en die door de auteur op bijna onderkoelde manier worden beschreven, is Wilde zwanen een indrukwekkende getuigenis van optimistisch geloof in een rechtvaardige samenleving met gelijke rechten en gelijke kansen voor ieder individu.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743246985, Paperback)

In Wild Swans Jung Chang recounts the evocative, unsettling, and insistently gripping story of how three generations of women in her family fared in the political maelstrom of China during the 20th century. Chang's grandmother was a warlord's concubine. Her gently raised mother struggled with hardships in the early days of Mao's revolution and rose, like her husband, to a prominent position in the Communist Party before being denounced during the Cultural Revolution. Chang herself marched, worked, and breathed for Mao until doubt crept in over the excesses of his policies and purges. Born just a few decades apart, their lives overlap with the end of the warlords' regime and overthrow of the Japanese occupation, violent struggles between the Kuomintang and the Communists to carve up China, and, most poignant for the author, the vicious cycle of purges orchestrated by Chairman Mao that discredited and crushed millions of people, including her parents.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:28 -0400)

A Chinese woman chronicles the struggle of her grandmother, her mother, and herself to survive in a China torn apart by wars, invasions, revolution, and continuing upheaval, from 1907 to the present.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,200,565 books! | Top bar: Always visible