Jessica by Kevin Henkes

by Kevin Henkes

This book is great to teach about having an imaginary friend and shows great affection and acceptance
  Stacey_Nava | Nov 8, 2015 |
46 months - Story about having an imaginary friend. A nice story but not as much of a favorite as some of Kevin Henkes others. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
Summary: Ruthie has an imaginary best friend named Jessica. Ruthie and Jessica do everything together. So when Ruthie goes off to kindergarten, naturally Jessica goes, too. But then, Ruthie meets a real person called Jessica, and they become the best of friends!

Review: This book is one of my favorite childhood books, partially because I loved that the title was my name. As a child, I also loved the refrain of, "There is no Jessica!" I especially loved that, in the end, Ruthie's parents were wrong; there was, in fact, a Jessica! Now that I'm older, I can also appreciate Kevin Henkes's marvelous illustrations. I highly recommend this book; it's splendid!

Central Idea of Jessica: It's okay to have imaginary friends, but real friends are better! ( )
  jlampr1 | Sep 30, 2014 |
About an imaginary friend, but even though my daughter has invented friends (just like she pretends her baby doll is real), she can't relate. ( )
  MiguelPut | Aug 4, 2014 |
My parents got this book for me, Jessica, when I was five years old, but reading it again almost fifteen years later, really gives me a new insight into it. Ruthie is scared of change, of leaving her family and going to a place called school where she doesn't know anybody, so she creates an imaginary friend named Jessica who goes everywhere and does everything with her and who can never leave her. But low and behold, when Ruthie does go to school, she meets a real person who replaces her imaginary friend, making for a more healthy friendship, and that person's name is Jessica. How fitting!

This book teaches us that change is not only okay, but sometimes, it is even better. Like Ruthie, we may be scared, but one way or another, everything will work out. They might not be as perfect as finding someone named Jessica to replace an imaginary friend named Jessica, but knowing how good things can be is the encouragement that kids need in order to take risks and find happiness. ( )
  parejess | May 18, 2014 |
For Annie and Geri and Mac
Ruthie Simms didn't have a dog.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0688158471, Paperback)

Much to her parents' chagrin, 5-year-old Ruthie has a devoted invisible friend named Jessica. When Ruthie accidentally spills juice, Jessica gladly takes the blame. When Ruthie's parents plan to hire a baby sitter and go to a movie, Jessica gets a tummy ache and needs them to stay home. "There is no Jessica," her parents keep insisting. "But Ruthie knew there was," the author keeps repeating. Kevin Henkes's Popsicle-colored watercolors and detailed pen-and-ink drawings invite us into Ruthie and Jessica's fantasy world. Through his handwritten cartoon dialogue, we are privy to their tender conversations and confidences. When it's time to start kindergarten, Ruthie's father suggests that Jessica stay home. But of course Ruthie brings Jessica anyway. On that fateful day we discover what Ruthie knew all along--there really is a Jessica! Children who believe in imaginary playmates will find their soul mate in Ruthie. And parents who fret over the isolation of an absorbing imaginary life will find comfort in the story's happy ending. All families will appreciate the twists of fate that allow a child's fantasy world to joyfully overlap into the real one. School Library Journal Best Book of the Year, Horn Book Fanfare Honor List, IRA/CBC Children's Choice, American Bookseller Pick of the Lists. (Ages 3 and older) --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:05 -0400)

Ruthie does everything with her imaginary friend Jessica; and then on her first day at kindergarten, she meets a real new friend with the same name.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,881,484 books! | Top bar: Always visible