Just Going to the Dentist (Look-Look) by…

Just Going to the Dentist (Look-Look)

by Mercer Mayer

in my opinion this was a pretty good book. I remember reading books from this series as a child, so I automatically enjoyed the book for that reason. The illustrations were also very will done, and coordinated with the text on each page. I liked that the book is relate-able to all children who are going to the dentist or those who may have already been. Although I liked the story, I didn't think it had much educational value, but young readers do love it! ( )
  Lwatso7 | Apr 20, 2015 |
In my opinion this is a great book that introduces the importance of oral hygiene and that the dentist is not a scary place to go to. The language in this book was simple, suggesting a younger, beginning reader, audience. The writing flowed well and coincided well with the illustrations. When the author was talking about the dentist's room, they used relatable descriptions such as the room looking like a spaceship, and Little Critter having to sit in a funny chair. That character, Little Critter, was very relatable to young children who are nervous about going to the dentist. He expresses his own nerves throughout the story such as him nothing minding too much that he had to see the dentist all alone. The book pushes readers to think about places like the dentist not being so scary after all. The big idea is to not be afraid of new things that are helpful to you, such as a trip to the dentist. ( )
  agassa1 | Apr 20, 2015 |
I liked this book for two reasons. First, the language was clear and simple and the first-person point of view connects the character with the reader. The language is very to the point in explaining the steps of going to the dentist while portraying the emotion of Critter’s first trip to the dentist. Second, I like the illustrations. I like that the illustrations show Critter’s true emotion and sometimes contradict what the text is saying. This shows how Critter will say one thing but feel a different way. I also like that the story is about a real-life event but the illustrations are of a non-existent creature. It helps address the issue in a real way but the characters make it more fun. The big idea of this story is to prepare the reader for their first trip to the dentist, explaining the steps and encouraging readers to not be worried about a dentist visit. ( )
  jdobso4 | Nov 12, 2013 |
This is a book that is great for beginner readers. This story tells about Litter Critter going to the dentist for the first time. He talks about everything that happens at the dentist and the toy he gets at the end. Little Critter makes going to the dentist seem so easy and makes going to the dentist seem less scary for young children. I would use this book in my class for dental health. This book would be great for early elementary grades.
Mercer Mayer: http://www.littlecritter.com/ ( )
  bspentecost | Feb 10, 2010 |
This is a cute book about a boy going on a trip to the dentist. It explains everything that usually happens at a dentists office in a non-scarey way. It is very descriptive and would be helpful to younger students who have never been to the dentist and are afraid. They would know that there would be no pain, that they get to see pictures of their mouth, and maybe even get candy. ( )
  Necampos | Nov 16, 2009 |

Mercer Mayer's very popular Little Critter is on his way to the dentist. It's a thorough check-up, complete with dental x-rays. When Dr. Ghum insists on filling a cavity, Little Critter goes through it bravely. The visit is painless to the reader because of Little Critter's funny, honest way of look at things -- including the world of dentistry.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:31 -0400)

Little Critter goes to the dentist for a checkup, and finds that going to the dentist isn't so bad.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,426,576 books! | Top bar: Always visible