Just Me and My Babysitter by Mercer Mayer

Just Me and My Babysitter

by Mercer Mayer

I liked this book but I loved the illustrations. The babysitter’s expressions were very funny. Every time the critter was trying to help do something he made it worse. He brought out pots and pans, broke dishes, made a mess in the bathtub, and started a pillow fight with his sister. Every time the critter is saying how helpful he is and he is smiling but the babysitter looks like she is going crazy. By the end she is completely exhausted from all the boy’s “help.” I liked the plot of the story. It was very entertaining that the critter kept trying to help and ended up not helping at all. He did all sorts of funny things and in the end the parents came home and the kids were awake and the babysitter was asleep. It was relatable to me because we have had tons of babysitters and since I am the oldest sibling it was my job to “help.” The big idea was to be good and follow directions when you’re being babysat. ( )
  torilynae | Oct 5, 2014 |
This is one of my favorite books from when I was little. I got it from home because I love it so much. It is fun because it is about a babysitter. It is about a child and his sister having fun with the babysitter. Every child wants to know how to do that.
  rdbyars | Sep 1, 2008 |
We have a lot of Little Critter books.

They're short, they're funny, they're topical, and they're cheap.

This one shows how Little Critter behaves with his babysitter.

The text suggests that he's a model child - he helps out, he goes to bed on time, that sort of thing.

The illustrations show that he kinda makes a mess, and refuses to go to bed, and his sitter falls asleep before he does. Hee.

My nieces know that this is unrealistic behavior, but that just makes it funnier to them. We talk about how they *should* act when we read this book...! ( )
  conuly | Sep 1, 2008 |
Eh. This book was ok. It can certainly give kids the idea that having a babysitter is fun, but it also gives them the idea that they can run wild all over a babysitter as well, which isn't something I'm ok with. But it was a fun book, and my daughter enjoys it. ( )
  crashingwaves38 | Jan 24, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307119459, Paperback)

Mercer Mayer's very funny and popular Little Critter character is at it again. In this lively picture book, he sees himself as the baby sitter's big helper, but his help ends up turning the house upside down. By the end of the evening Little Critter and his little sister still have energy to spare, while the well-meaning sitter is utterly exhausted.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:23 -0400)

Little Critter does his enthusiastic best to help his babysitter, although his efforts frequently make a bad situation worse.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,019,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible