The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope

The Perilous Gard (1974)

by Elizabeth Marie Pope

1,288349,255 (4.27)1 / 117

I liked this one a lot. It seems on Goodreads that the average user, if they like a book, give it a 5. Not for me, I hold my 5s close and only use them when I can't help myself (like giving, for me, a rare standing ovation on Broadway). So 4's a good score, from me. The main character was great, the subsidiary characters were well-drawn and differentiated, the action moved steadily on, with enough twists and changes to keep one entertained throughout. There's a certain solid prosaic quality to the proceedings which may especially appeal to some, but probably kept this in the realm of the 4 for me--it's written in much the same tone as, say, Harriet the Spy, and I'm slightly more inclined toward Charmed Life.

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
Like the best books, this one manages to hit all the right notes - a familiar yet fascinating setting, the discovery of a magical world, a subtle love interest, and humorous dialogue. In fact, I think Kate's blunt and often hilarious descriptions are what had me loving this book by the end. I read it based on a friend's recommendation and because (while it's fantasy) it's also historical fiction set during one of my favorite periods. The early chapters when Kate arrives at the castle known as the Perilous Gard also have a bit of a gothic novel-feel to them, so essentially this book is a combination of all my favorite genres. Not to forget, the illustrations in the book go a long way to helping the reader picture what is happening in the story. Overall, a great read and one I hope more people enjoy. ( )
1 vote wagner.sarah35 | Jul 29, 2018 |
Kate Sutton finds herself accidentally in the bad graces of Queen Mary and sent to live in a remote castle with a secret and possibly dangerous past. She meets up with superstitious villagers, a gruff but lovable Lord of the castle, his mysterious and vexed (oh, and handsome, of course) younger brother, a disturbed but friendly troubadour, and a charm of wicked fairies. Kate is smart and stubborn and a bit clumsy, but strong, too, in all sorts of ways. In short, reader, I love her. And her story. ( )
1 vote electrascaife | Mar 15, 2017 |
In 1558, Kate is sent in exile to a castle that turns out to be the last point of contact between elves and English people. She quickly starts trying to unravel the mystery of the elves, including the disappearance of the lord’s young daughter. Adventure and romance follow. It’s a good read with a strong protagonist whose stubbornness is her salvation. ( )
  rivkat | Sep 6, 2016 |
I try to reread this every year around Halloween and it is so worth it every time. ( )
1 vote Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |

Pope, Elizabeth Marieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cuffari, RichardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
von Buhler, CynthiaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a retelling of

For the family at Fenwick
"She won't be angry with me," said Alicia.

In 1558, while exiled by Queen Mary Tudor to a remote castle known as Perilous Gard, young Kate Sutton becomes involved in a series of mysterious events that lead her to an underground world peopled by Fairy Folk—whose customs are even older than the Druids’ and include human sacrifice.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:50 -0400)

In 1558 while imprisoned at Elwenwood Hall, a remote castle in northern England, teenaged Kate Sutton finds herself involved in a series of mysterious events that eventually bring her to an underground labyrinth peopled by the last practitioners of druidic magic.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,360,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible