The Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring…

The Poky Little Puppy

by Janette Sebring Lowrey

Summary:
This book is about puppies that escape under the fence every single day. One puppy seems to take the scenic route and always manages to get home after their mother gives the others a lecture about being home and not going under the fence. The smell of dessert is what gets the puppies attention to go home. Eventually it is discovered that the Poky puppy is sneaking out as well and he get locked out without dessert.

Personal Reaction:
This little book is cute and definitely a classic in my opinion. When I read it, it was a hand-me-down from an older cousin. It teaches that following the rules is important and if you do not there are consequences.

Classroom:
This is more of a Kindergarten Level Book so I think having students tell the teacher the classroom rules and explaining how we take recess time away when they break the rules.
printing coloring sheets of the poky puppy. Have students decorate an Ice cream sundae to reflect the desserts mentioned in the story. ( )
  avandever | Sep 23, 2017 |
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | Mar 22, 2017 |
loved this book when I was younger ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 1, 2016 |
A great book for kids learning to read ( )
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |
Call it art, subject to the interpretation of the reader. I dunno, I've never liked it before. However, this time, as I read it in [b:Story Land: 40 Of The Best Little Golden Books Ever Published|1786505|Story Land 40 Of The Best Little Golden Books Ever Published|Golden Press|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1188336040s/1786505.jpg|1785397], I finally understood it. You see, something about the repetition always through me. And as it happens, I'd only read it to my adult self, not my kids, so I was reading slowly enough to catch what I'd missed. I didn't realize that Poky was sneaking dessert after Mom was asleep.

I actually (this time) think the main lesson is, don't have five kids, or you'll have a devil of a time keeping track of all of them and making sure you treat them fairly.

Then again, life isn't fair, so at least these puppies are learning that important lesson! ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

Janette Sebring Lowreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tenggren, GustafIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Five little puppies dug a hole under the fence and went for a walk in the wide, wide world.
DON'T EVER DIG HOLES UNDER THIS FENCE!
Note: the "Big" Golden Books version is the same as the "Little" Golden Books, just larger.
#303-62

One of the original 12 Little Golden Books, The Poky Little Puppy has sold nearly 15 million copies since 1942, making it one of the most popular children’s books of all time. Now this curious little puppy is ready to win the hearts and minds of a new generation of kids.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:22 -0400)

A puppy who is always late coming home one night finds there is no dessert for him.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,645,831 books! | Top bar: Always visible