The Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring…

The Poky Little Puppy

by Janette Sebring Lowrey

Series: The Poky Little Puppy

2,089None3,152 (4.02)58

This book is a great read. Without a doubt, I want this book in my future classroom. The illustrations are adorable and are on every single page. They support the text by showing the puppies digging under the fence and also by writing the signs “Don’t ever dig holes under this fence,” to help the readers visualize the scene. The text is simple yet very descriptive, using a lot of adjectives and verbs. For example, “ And home they went, as fast as they could go, over the bridge, up the road, through the meadow, and under the fence.” The main message of this book was to respect your parents and good things come to those who obey the rules. ( )
  jtaylo41 | Mar 11, 2014 |
This little puppy wonders around with lots of excitement. Just wondering about his surrounding.
  raul-lakes | Dec 16, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this story when I was little, and after reading it to my daughter, still enjoy it now. I feel that it has a good moral lesson behind it and is also a fun read following the adventure of a curious puppy.

I would use this in a literacy lesson when learning about sequencing and story order as it has a very defined pattern to it. I also would use this to teach beginner readers since it has a a lot of small words that are mostly sight words. ( )
  RiaO | Nov 26, 2013 |
I found this book at an antique store for a dollar, and figured I would try it. The downfall is that this seems to be a dated book, but still enjoyable. The main theme of the book is that if you follow the rules you will get rewarded.

I liked the simplicity of the plot. The book is useful for counting numbers 1-5. Also, there is a repetitive wording to the book, which will make it easier for younger readers to process. I liked how the poky puppy was able to outwit his mother and siblings countless times. It makes me think of my own puppies. I also like the illustrations despite them being dated. The circular and robust shape of the puppies are visually appealing. ( )
  larasimmons2 | Nov 25, 2013 |
The first book I ever read aloud. Treasure. ( )
  CyndiGoodgame | Jul 11, 2013 |

Janette Sebring Lowreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tenggren, GustafIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Five little puppies dug a hole under the fence and went for a walk in the wide, wide world.
DON'T EVER DIG HOLES UNDER THIS FENCE!
Note: the "Big" Golden Books version is the same as the "Little" Golden Books, just larger.

#303-62

One of the original 12 Little Golden Books, The Poky Little Puppy has sold nearly 15 million copies since 1942, making it one of the most popular children’s books of all time. Now this curious little puppy is ready to win the hearts and minds of a new generation of kids.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:34 -0400)

A puppy who is always late coming home one night finds there is no dessert for him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,456,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible