Secrets of the Mummies : Uncovering the…

Secrets of the Mummies : Uncovering the Bodies of Ancient Egyptians (edition 2000)

by Shelley Tanaka (Author)

Series: I Was There Books (6)

Describes the ancient Egyptian practice of preserving the dead through the process of mummification and explains what scientists have learned from unwrapping and examining mummies.
Member:CherylPatrick
Title:Secrets of the Mummies : Uncovering the Bodies of Ancient Egyptians
Authors:Shelley Tanaka (Author)
Info:Scholastic Canada, Limited (2000), 48 pages

Secrets of the Mummies by Shelley Tanaka

I love Shelly Tanaka! I didn't even realize that I had already checked out another one of her books. The design and layout of the book was great! Really beautiful illustrations, tons of pictures and sidebars explaining relevant information.

Even though I was a classics major in college, I learned things that I didn't know-- such as how elite members of society in the 19th century would have mummy unwrapping parties after they got their hands on a mummy during their travels.

I always find it really tragic that they put the mummies back into their burial chambers after they've stripped them of their treasures -- I never got why they didn't just keep them in the museums with everything else.

I think this book would serve as a really great gateway nonfiction book for my students because it's just so fascinating, and everyone loves Ancient Egypt! It also ties in well with what they learn in social studies, as they do cover ancient civilizations in 6th grade. ( )
  Sandert1 | Apr 18, 2014 |
About Mummies
  MGraysonk12 | Feb 7, 2012 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,333,576 books! | Top bar: Always visible