The Red Pony by John Steinbeck

The Red Pony (original 1933; edition 1966)

by John Steinbeck

4,102721,772 (3.49)1 / 212
Member:bgherman
Title:The Red Pony
Authors:John Steinbeck
Info:Bantam (1966), Mass Market Paperback

The Red Pony by John Steinbeck (1933)

Recently added byOlaDistrictLibrary, jdmeuser, private library, kdmgo, cweko, derek.stuhan, aeri89, Sandee88, phollis68

English (70)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (72)
The Red Pony by John Steinbeck; (5*)

In this small but mighty Steinbeck book of short stories we get to meet Jody, his ma and pa and the ranch hand, Billy Buck. All four stories are coming of age stories about Jody as he learns life's harsh lessons about the weather, his world, his beloved animals and how life can so cruelly take away from one what is dear to one; but also we see him learn how to appreciate his life and the world around him and what truly matters.
This is a wonderful book; full of hopes, and dreams (some come true and some crushed).
I liked the character of the father. He rang so true for those days and times. I loved Billy Budd and Jody. I even loved the dogs and the horses, for they were characters in this book as well. The mother was just kind of there doing what mothers did in those days and it seemed right that she have not much of an impact on me, but that she did on her son.
An awesome little book that I very highly recommend. ( )
3 vote rainpebble | Jan 24, 2019 |
I hate this book. ( )
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |
Well it wasn't my favorite, beautifully written though, but I remember now why Steinbeck wasn't my favorite author when we read a few of his (not this one though) in middle school. I still don't understand why they pick such dreary novels for middle school students to read, the years of teen angst, peer pressure, & growing pains could certainly use a few comedies or adventures that might promote love of reading instead of only required reading. ( )
  RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |
although a young adult novel, I read it because Canadian Author Ann (Giller prize nominee) said it was the first book she remembered reading on her own - was surprising and sad but poignant and yes, life changing ( )
  frahealee | Dec 3, 2017 |
The Red Pony is a short stories novel that consists of four short stories. This was the first John Steinbeck novel I read. I read this novel in 6th grade and, to be honest, by the title I was expecting a happy story of ponies filled with joy and laughter... I was wrong. Despite what its name might imply, The Red Pony is neither about a red pony nor a book for girls who are obsessed with ponies. It follows the story of Jody and his life on his father's California ranch The short stories seemed very depressing to me at the time. I remember crying because of how sad the first short story (called The Red Pony) was. It follows the story of Jody and his life on his father's California ranch. It shows Jody's coming of age as he goes through different experiences. Overall, unless you truly like Steinbeck's work, I would not recommend this novel. ( )
  Daniellacmr | Nov 7, 2017 |

John Steinbeckprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dennis, WesleyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Muller, FrankNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seelye, JohnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
At daybreak Billy Buck emerged from the bunkhouse and stood for a moment on the porch looking up at the sky.
This is the entry for the single work "The Red Pony". Please don't combine with anthologies containing more than this story, or with abridged/retold versions.

Raised on a ranch in northern California, Jody is well-schooled in the hard work and demands of a rancher's life. He is used to the way of horses, too; but nothing has prepared him for the special connection he will forge with Gabilan, the hot-tempered pony his father gives him. With Billy Buck, the hired hand, Jody tends and trains his horse, restlessly anticipating the moment he will sit high upon Gabilan's saddle. But when Gabilan falls ill, Jody discovers there are still lessons he must learn about the ways of nature and, particularly, the ways of man.

Tells story of a young boy and his life on his father's ranch. Ownership of a red pony teaches ten-year-old Jody about life and death.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185090, 0141332905, 0241952506

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,135,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible