The Rescue by Nicholas Sparks

The Rescue (2000)

by Nicholas Sparks

One Tuesday Morning by Karen Kingsbury (dara85)
    dara85: Romance, fire fighter, odds to overcome
    The Switch by Sandra Brown (krizia_lazaro)

English (31)  Dutch (1)  All languages (32)
Tear Jerker!!! ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
This was another book that I enjoyed a lot more than I thought I did - in fact I pretty much read this book straight through the weekend to finish it. While it's not a book that will make my top reads - it was still a sweet, enjoyable read.

I can't say that there was any one character that stood out for me. They were all pretty much on the same page, but they were fairly well written and they came together well enough, their development was fine as well and that part was well written, but there was nothing extraordinary about any character that stood out for me. The story itself was what hooked me. And while, yes the story is a little bit cliché, I still enjoyed how Taylor and Denise came together and fell in love, the little pieces here and there just made for a good read.

Overall, it was a good read - well worth reading. Something that is a little different than what I usually read but I'm glad I did.

Also found on my book review blog My Review
  bookwormjules | Mar 2, 2016 |
The plot is fabulous. Even the language is lucid. All in all it really pulls so many strings of your heart you never knew existed! Loved it! ( )
  Silvi.Aich | Jul 7, 2015 |
Rescue is one kind of book which I cherish reading when I wish to take a break after reading a long one.The book is like a breather and feels at home.The characters and the episodes in the book are elucidated perfectly.The books allows one to ease off from a continuously reading thriller/suspense/killer ones. ( )
  Ranjani_Krishnan | Mar 2, 2015 |
Have read all Nicholas Sparks books - He never disappoints! Taylor doesn’t know that this rescue will be different from all the others, demanding far more than raw physical courage. It will lead him to the possibility of his own rescue from a life lived without love and will require him to open doors to his past that were slammed shut by pain. This rescue will dare him to live life to the fullest by daring to love.
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |

Kloosterman, Yvonnesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meripirtti, Anjasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Petrelli, Alessandrasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siety, Francinesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated with love to Pat and Billy Mills. My life is better because of both. Thank you for everything.
It would later be called one of the most violent storms in North Carolina history.
“You are going to come across people in your life who say all the right words at all the right time. But in the end, it’s always their actions you should judge them by. It’s actions, not words, that matter.”

When confronted by raging fires or deadly accidents, volunteer fireman Taylor McAden feels compelled to take terrifying risks to save lives. But there is one leap of faith Taylor can't bring himself to make: he can't fall in love. For all his adult years, Taylor has sought out women who need to be rescued, women he leaves as soon as their crisis is over and the relationship starts to become truly intimate. When a raging storm hits his small Southern town, single mother Denise Holton’s car skids off the road. The young mom is with her four-year-old son Kyle, a boy with severe learning disabilities and for whom she has sacrificed everything. Taylor McAden finds her unconscious and bleeding, but does not find Kyle. When Denise wakes, the chilling truth becomes clear to both of them: Kyle is gone. During the search for Kyle, the connection between Taylor and Denise takes root. Taylor doesn't know that this rescue will be different from all the others, demanding far more than raw physical courage. It will lead him to the possibility of his own rescue from a life lived without love and will require him to open doors to his past that were slammed shut by pain. This rescue will dare him to live life to the fullest by daring to love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446696129, Paperback)

Denise Holden's life is a fragile mix of luck and hard work. A single mom of a speech-delayed son, Denise makes ends meet by moving to the small town of Edenton, North Carolina, and working the late shift as a waitress. When Denise crashes her car and her son Kyle flees the accident and disappears into the storm, her only stroke of luck is the quick arrival of Taylor McAden, a volunteer fireman. Taylor's got a knack for fixing people, and he can't help wanting to be involved with Denise beyond the initial rescue of Kyle.

As Taylor helps Denise recover from the accident and get to know the town, they discover a sweet bond and a magical chemistry that pulls them closer and closer. Though Taylor fits perfectly into Denise's family, he's unable to open his heart to being loved by her. As Taylor struggles to understand his conflicting desires, Denise questions the wisdom of gambling with Kyle's and her own emotions.

Author Nicholas Sparks has found a loyal audience for his stories about the internal battles that accompany the arrival of love. His heroes may be truck-driving manly men and his heroines emotional swamis, but it's easy to overlook the traditional roles when the complexities of human relationships are so beautifully described. Sparks has found his forte, and this novel is sure to be as popular as his earlier works. --Nancy R.E. O'Brien

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:23 -0400)

Reluctant to take chances in the world of romance, volunteer firefighter Taylor McAden experiences a dramatic change of heart after a near-fatal automobile accident leads to a fateful encounter with Denise Holden.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,875,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible