The Rescue by Nicholas Sparks

The Rescue (original 2000; edition 2008)

by Nicholas Sparks

Member:notjustlaura
Title:The Rescue
Authors:Nicholas Sparks
Info:Sphere (2008), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:eLibrary, To read

The Rescue by Nicholas Sparks (2000)

Recently added byprivate library, booksngirls, r_jyothi, gringabosque, dm13, coloringkatie
    One Tuesday Morning by Karen Kingsbury (dara85)
    dara85: Romance, fire fighter, odds to overcome
    The Switch by Sandra Brown (krizia_lazaro)

English (26)  Dutch (1)  All languages (27)
The rescue was a good and romantic book about a volunteer fireman Taylor M. is driving to a heroic risk on finding a single mothers son named Kyle that somehow ran away when a braking storm hits his small southern town. The mother named Denise Holton meets Taylor and falls in love but seen to dare him to make the greatest commitment. Iliked when Taylor and Denise fall in love w'll trying to find Denise's son.
  br14evdi | May 31, 2014 |
I almost gave up reading this book 10 pages before the end-it was that monotonous. However,I kept reading, and am glad that I did because those last 10 pages were EASILY the best part. Cried like nobody's business. Not my favourite Sparks creation, but it definitely hit a soft spot (it is also based on very personal events from the author's real life, if that's a selling point at all for you). ( )
  rmboland | Jul 13, 2012 |
Well, Nicholas Sparks always makes me cry—in a good way.
This is a great tale. The human nature of people shows through in his writing. Nicholas Sparks has certain trademarks that always keep his readers coming back for his next creation: love, tragedy, a heart-tugging middle and an ending that leaves you satisfied.
Denise, the main character, has a young son, Kyle. I instantly fell in love with this speaking impaired child, and loved the way Denise communicated with him. She is a single mom, who is in a car accident. When Taylor, a handsome firefighter happens by the accident site, the story really takes off. Taylor searches for Denise’s missing son, and refuses to give up until he is found. You think this is the ”rescue” the title implies, and it is—but then later you discover who is really the one who needs rescuing.
A romance develops between Denise and Taylor, however, both are fighting demons of their pasts and struggle to make their relationship work.
This story was one of those hard to put down books. When you think things are going to calm down...something unexpected happens—which is why I spent the wee hours of the morning reading it. It was well worth the lost sleep.
I highly recommend this book.
If I could give it 10 stars I would ( )
  JMPowers | Nov 30, 2011 |

Nicholas wife is Cathy

He has three sons Miles, Ryan and Landon

His Agent is Theresa Park of Sanford Greenburger Associates

His Editor is Jamie Raab of Warner Books

This book took place in 1999 when North Carolina had the worst storms in history.

The main Character is Denise Holton whom was traveling to Edenton, North Carolina with her son Kyle (age 4) in the back seat.

Denise dedicated her life to her son Kyle and he was a full time job for her as he required special attention for a “speech”/”language” disability. As a single mother she set out to do her best. She worked four nights a week, five hours a shift earning enough to get what she needed to. She became a master of budgeting, a master of cutting corners. She had 238.00 in the bank and her car is 19 years old.

The reason why she was a single mother is that the father is Brett Cosgrove, and he was the type of man who attracted attention. She was 23 and in her second year of teaching, Susan introduced Denise to Brett who was in town for a short investment banking business deal and they basically had a “one night stand” that led to her pregnancy of her wonderful son Kyle. The father did not want anything to do with her or the baby.

On page 24-25: “She worried about Kyle all the time, and though all mothers worried about their children, she knew it wasn’t the same. Sometimes she wished she knew someone else who had a child like Kyle. At least then someone would understand. At least then she’d have someone to talk to, to compare notes with, to offer a shoulder when she needed to cry. Did other mothers wake up every day and wonder whether their child would ever had a friend? Any friend? Ever? Did other mothers sooner whether their children would go to a regular school or play sports or go to the prom? Did other mothers watch as their were ostracized, not only by other children, but by other parents as well? Did their worries on on every minute of every day, seemingly without an end in sight?”

As Denise was traveling a doe, fully grown on this stormy night froze in front of her car-she knew she would hit it! As she swerved to hit the deer she hit a tree and her head hit the steering wheel and scaring pain in her forehead and fell unconscious.

The next thing she hears is “Hey, Lady, are you all right?” All she could say is KYLE! Where is my son? He was not in the car! Taylor McAden was the man from the fire department who found Denise first. This led to a community of fireman and volunteers to find Kyle in a swampy area who Taylor found Kyle’s blanket, in the swampy areas about 50 years from the spot where Denise had crashed. It took hours when Kyle was found by Taylor and brought to the hospital where Denise was taken for her injuries. Since Kyle could barely speak this task of finding him was harder than a normal case.

Taylor’s mother Judy always wanted him to find a wife and settle down. But for some reason “love” was just not his thing. His relationships would start off wonderful and then he lost interest. But this is not the case for how he felt for Denise as the relationship develops. In the end they end up happily ever after with Taylor adopting Kyle as his son.

Quote I love: Page 131: “You are going to come across people in your life who say all the right words at all the right time. But in the end, it’s always their actions you should judge them by. It’s actions, not words, that matter.”

I could identify with this book on so many levels. I was a single mom for 11 years. I had all the same feelings as Denise did. My daughter was ADHD and I had to work full time too. The hardest part is getting help form the schools when she was younger. She always had to stay after school to “get more help.” This was hard on her and on me. Every day I had to wake up and have a routine with my daughter, rush to the daycare or schools to drop her off, then rush to work, then rush back by a certain time to pick her up. These type of events went on for 11 years. If my daughter was sick, I had to bring her to work with me. I was thankful to have a job that would allow it. I cannot tell you how many times I wished someone would come rescue me and my daughter from the every day struggles. Either way she is now 17 years of age and I am 44.

I loved “The Rescue” and it brought back memories for me. I would love to help single mothers get through their hard times as it is something that I did first hand, mostly alone.
© 2011 Written by Jackie Paulson ( )
  jackie1966 | Nov 16, 2011 |
I don’t know where to start with this book. I only read Safe Haven (which I enjoyed) from Nicholas Sparks’s books before I read The Rescue. Even though I enjoyed Safe Haven, I didn’t think The Rescue would have a happy ending (most of Sparks books don’t have). But oh boy was I wrong. I loved it from the beginning till the last page. I loved the plot, the characters and everything about this book. I loved the main characters Taylor and Denise. I was frustrated with Taylor in some parts of this book because he keeps letting his past life affect his relationship with Denise and Kyle, Denise’s son. I felt for Denise, working with Kyle every day, helping him with his speech. It shows how much devoted she is to her son. I love the ending--and it does have a happy ending. This is, by all means, my favorite Nicholas sparks’s book. Nicholas Sparks knows how to write touching love stories. The Rescue will make you laugh and sob at the same time. It’s a must read. ( )
  MesaSagacityQuest | Oct 3, 2011 |
This book is dedicated with love to Pat and Billy Mills. My life is better because of both. Thank you for everything.
It would later be called one of the most violent storms in North Carolina history.

When confronted by raging fires or deadly accidents, volunteer fireman Taylor McAden feels compelled to take terrifying risks to save lives. But there is one leap of faith Taylor can't bring himself to make: he can't fall in love. For all his adult years, Taylor has sought out women who need to be rescued, women he leaves as soon as their crisis is over and the relationship starts to become truly intimate. When a raging storm hits his small Southern town, single mother Denise Holton’s car skids off the road. The young mom is with her four-year-old son Kyle, a boy with severe learning disabilities and for whom she has sacrificed everything. Taylor McAden finds her unconscious and bleeding, but does not find Kyle. When Denise wakes, the chilling truth becomes clear to both of them: Kyle is gone. During the search for Kyle, the connection between Taylor and Denise takes root. Taylor doesn't know that this rescue will be different from all the others, demanding far more than raw physical courage. It will lead him to the possibility of his own rescue from a life lived without love and will require him to open doors to his past that were slammed shut by pain. This rescue will dare him to live life to the fullest by daring to love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446696129, Paperback)

Denise Holden's life is a fragile mix of luck and hard work. A single mom of a speech-delayed son, Denise makes ends meet by moving to the small town of Edenton, North Carolina, and working the late shift as a waitress. When Denise crashes her car and her son Kyle flees the accident and disappears into the storm, her only stroke of luck is the quick arrival of Taylor McAden, a volunteer fireman. Taylor's got a knack for fixing people, and he can't help wanting to be involved with Denise beyond the initial rescue of Kyle.

As Taylor helps Denise recover from the accident and get to know the town, they discover a sweet bond and a magical chemistry that pulls them closer and closer. Though Taylor fits perfectly into Denise's family, he's unable to open his heart to being loved by her. As Taylor struggles to understand his conflicting desires, Denise questions the wisdom of gambling with Kyle's and her own emotions.

Author Nicholas Sparks has found a loyal audience for his stories about the internal battles that accompany the arrival of love. His heroes may be truck-driving manly men and his heroines emotional swamis, but it's easy to overlook the traditional roles when the complexities of human relationships are so beautifully described. Sparks has found his forte, and this novel is sure to be as popular as his earlier works. --Nancy R.E. O'Brien

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:22 -0400)

Reluctant to take chances in the world of romance, volunteer firefighter Taylor McAden experiences a dramatic change of heart after a near-fatal automobile accident leads to a fateful encounter with Denise Holden.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,503,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible