Casanegra by Blair Underwood

Casanegra

by Blair Underwood (Author), Steven Barnes (Author), Tananarive Due (Author)

The book has a very good mystery plot. The authors kept me guessing about the killer's identity, though my first hunch was correct -- but I was still way off on the motive for the murder. Equally excellent characters. I LOVED Tennyson Hardwick. Along with the mystery, the intense fight scenes, multiple escapes from near-death, several spicy sex scenes, an inside look at the rap music industry, and the high-end sex for money business in Hollywood, there's a very touching subplot on family. Let me just say that, by the end, Ten's household expands in a weird, yet wonderful way.

You don't have to be familiar with rap music to follow the story. It isn't a huge part of the plot, except in exploring how it relates to the dead woman and how the industry can build up but also destroy those who'd use it to get away from a life of poverty and hardship.

The characters are all multi-dimensional, heavy on the flawed side but trying to make a better life, sometimes succeeding, sometimes not. No one's perfect, though Tennyson does come close...
  meleada | Dec 25, 2008 |
Good book. I really enjoyed reading it. They had me going back and forth on who I thought may have killed Serena and because I wanted to know...I kept reading. ( )
  jrpatterson | Nov 25, 2008 |
This book was fast paced, the plot was busy and somewhat implausible in spots, however it was entertaining enough to keep me reading.

The contemporary novel blends the right amount of suspense, sex, and action to form a good read.

As a fan of Tananarive Due, I thought that I would be able to determine her contribution to the collaboration however, this book flowed seamlessly along despite the fact that it’s written by three artists.

The main character reminded me of one of Eric Jerome Dickey's character. The setting is hip-hop, yet Tennyson Hardwick is not. He's a hero with a heart.

A well done debut with clearly more to come. ( )
1 vote altima313 | Oct 1, 2008 |
Tennyson is a former gigolo-turned-actor who becomes the primary suspect in the murder of a former lover. He decides to search for the real murderer on his own.

I thought the writing was solid and consistent. It is a quick read and a fairly good debut for Blair Underwood.
  firstperson | Nov 1, 2007 |
Good mystery. Enjoyed, quick read.
  sunshine608 | Oct 9, 2007 |

Underwood, BlairAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barnes, StevenAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Due, TananariveAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Who are you, really?
And what were you before?

--Rick, Casablanca
For Sidney
Here's what you need to know: I hate lines.

Casanegra follows the adventures of Tennyson Hardwick, a gorgeous, sexy actor and former gigolo, living on the fringes of the good life in Hollywood. This story, which chronicles the redemption of a prodigal son, combines the glamour of Hollywood with the seedy hopelessness of the inner city.

In this hot and steamy mystery, Tennyson struggles to hang on to his acting career and redeem his sex-for-pay history, which estranged him from his family -- especially his father, a decorated LAPD captain who raised Tennyson to call him "sir." Now, in the wake of his father's sudden stroke, Tennyson has to save himself from taking the fall for the first murder of a female rapper. In the process he discovers his hidden talents -- the hard way.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:03 -0400)

Follows the adventures of Tennyson Hardwick, a handsome, sexy actor and former gigolo, living on the fringes of the good life in Hollywood. This story chronicles the redemption of a prodigal son, combining the glamour of Hollywood with the seedy hopelessness of the inner city. Tennyson struggles to hang on to his acting career and redeem his sex-for-pay history, which estranged him from his family--especially his father, a decorated LAPD captain who raised Tennyson to call him "sir." Now, in the wake of his father's sudden stroke, Tennyson has to save himself from taking the fall for the first murder of a female rapper. In the process he discovers his hidden talents--the hard way.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,672,277 books! | Top bar: Always visible