Captured by Neil Cross

Captured (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Neil Cross

Member:Suzannie1
Title:Captured
Authors:Neil Cross
Info:Simon & Schuster (2010), Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***

Captured by Neil Cross (2010)

English (11)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (13)
Synopsis/blurb….

Even though he is still young, Kenny has just weeks to live. Before he dies, he wants to find his childhood best friend Callie Barton and thank her for the kindness she showed him when they were at school together. But when Kenny begins his search, he discovers that Callie Barton has gone missing. Although cleared of any involvement, her husband Jonathan seems to be hiding something. Kenny has no choice but to take matters into his own hands. And knowing that time is running out on him, he's prepared to do whatever it takes ...
-----------------
My take......

Not my first time around the block with this author as I have previously enjoyed Luther: The Calling (I can’t recall if this came before the TV show with Idris Elba or was an after-thought); and in the days long before the blog was in action Mr In-Between and Burial. Needless to say, there are a few others on the pile waiting for a read.

Unusual set-up with a dying man, attempting to reach out to people he feels he has let down in the past. Most notable of these and soon to become the major focus of Kenny’s actions is school friend, Callie. Kenny pays his ex-copper friend Pat Maxwellto track her down. Pat subs the job out to a corrupt and debt-ridden ex-cop turned PI, Paul Sugar - a decision which will come back to haunt all concerned in the future.

We discover Callie has been missing for a few years and whilst the focus of the investigation centred on her husband and plenty of finger-pointing ensued, he is continuing with his life as before with a new partner in tow. Kenny burgles his house in an effort to discover more about Callie and her husband.

In the mean-time Mary, his ex-wife and closest friend suspects something is up with Kenny but doesn't know what – suffice to say she’s worried. Her husband, Stever is similarly concerned. And with good reason.

Kenny has kidnapped Jonathan, Callie’s husband and proceeds to systematically torture him to discover what happened to his wife. Grim, graphic and brutal. Uncomfortable but gripping and compelling reading.

We get answers at the end. We (the reader) discover who did what to whom and although it seems unlikely at one point, Jonathan and Kenny almost part as friends, with a shared experience binding them. Albeit for a very short space of time as Kenny is about to pass on.

The very last bit of the book, kind of seemed ill-thought out in my opinion. I won’t elaborate as I wouldn’t want to spoil it for anyone……if you’ve read it yourself – feel free to contact me to discuss as I would like to know if it jarred for you. Probably a minor detail, but I’m feeling picky today.

An interesting read and some food for thought. If you were on borrowed time, would you try and re-dress some of your past mistakes?

Mostly very good, but could have been better in my opinion.

4 from 5

Neil Cross has his website here.

Another Net Galley read. Open Road Media are in the process of or have recently re-released the author’s back catalogue.

http://col2910.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04... ( )
  col2910 | Apr 2, 2015 |
Six weeks. That’s the sum total of life remaining for Kenny Drummond who has inoperable brain cancer. He is a portrait artist. Mary is his ex-wife. He gives her the portraits he’d created of her. She knows something is wrong, but Kenny decides to keep it to himself – at least for now. As he thinks back on his life, he makes a list of people he feels he’s let down. They are: Mary; Mr. Jeganathon; Thomas Kintry; and Callie Barton. He only has six weeks to make it right.

He manages to resolve most matters to his satisfaction, but then there’s Callie. She had been his best friend when they were in junior school together. Then one day she just disappeared from class. He was told she moved. Now in present day, he wants to find her so he hires Pat Maxwell, a local and the closest thing they have to a PI. She finds good news and bad news for Kenny. She confirmed Callie’s parents had moved to London. However, in 2004, she’d been hospitalized with a broken wrist and cracked ribs. This info was in the police file. Callie didn’t press charges. Her husband was suspect. Kenny goes to seek justice for Callie. He tracks down her husband, Jonathan Reese.

This story took place near Bristol in South West England. As a psychological thriller, it certainly held my interest. Kenny and Mary had divorced. She remarried Stever five years before and they had two children. They are all close friends. Kenny and Mary even still say “I love you” to each other. I know that brain tumors can change one’s personality, but I found some of the changes to be somewhat unlikely. Additionally, in one scene, Kenny managed to ‘vault’ over furniture. If he was becoming weak as it was portrayed, he would not be able to ‘vault’ over anything. My rating for Captured is 3.5 out of 5. ( )
  FictionZeal | Mar 6, 2015 |
This is a fairly brutal psychological thriller and if you like that kind of thing you will like this book. I am not overly enthusiastic. The three stars are for the technical competence of the writing.

I received an advance review copy of "Captured" by Neil Cross (Open Road Integrated Media) through NetGalley.com. ( )
  Dokfintong | Jan 28, 2015 |
A quick and easy murder mystery. The basic plot is interesting and there are a couple of surprises, but the ending and the characters leave the reader feeling empty. Although that may be the point. I kept picturing Javier Bardem as one of the characters. The author nails the suspenseful scenes. For readers of dark murder mysteries.

Net Galley Feedback ( )
  LibStaff2 | Dec 31, 2014 |
It was a slow starter but it slowly gained momentum. I can't remember a story more different than this one. Not only was it a good mystery but a study of what could go wrong in some people. I don't want to give anything away because it would ruin it. I must say that this is well worth the read. Don't put it down because you will get hooked. ( )
  MSgtMackel | Dec 29, 2014 |
Captured gives off an impression of power held in reserve, and it serves an authentic, unsparing vision of goodwill undone by misfortune.

Even though he is still young, Kenny has just weeks to live. Before he dies, he wants to find his childhood best friend Callie Barton and thank her for the kindness she showed him when they were in school together. But when Kenny begins his search, he discovers that Callie Barton has gone missing and her husband seems to be hiding something.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,096,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible