Manolito Gafotas by Elvira Lindo

Manolito Gafotas (original 1994; edition 2000)

by Elvira Lindo, Emilio Urberuaga (Illustrator)

Member:sora91
Title:Manolito Gafotas
Authors:Elvira Lindo
Other authors:Emilio Urberuaga (Illustrator)
Info:Madrid : Alfaguara, 2000
Collections:Leídos, Your library
Rating:***1/2
Tags:infantil

Manolito Gafotas by Elvira Lindo (1994)

English (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (3)
If Goscinny's Nicolas had married a woman from Spain...Manolito Four-Eyes would be their son. Elvira Lindo's best-seller in Spain has been translated into various languages - finally English! and also made into a tv show. Manolito is definitely the heir of Goscinny's Nicolas.

His language is a little rougher, he's more into "gross" and tv is a definite part of his life, but under the skin he's another Nicolas. Not outstanding among his peers, just an ordinary little boy - who drives all the adults crazy! He has the same authentic voice as Nicolas, and almost the same naive indifference to the havoc he creates around him. I enjoyed this book quite a bit - but it's one that may or may not be a hit on the library shelves.

Verdict: If you can get a few kids to appreciate the humor and fresh voice of Manolito, this could be quite popular, but it will take some booktalking.

ISBN: 978-0761453031; Published March 2008 by Marshall Cavendish; Borrowed from the library; Purchased for the library
  JeanLittleLibrary | Oct 30, 2011 |
I have not laughed out loud so hard in ages. Manolito is a grandiose character, and even reading his story in translation leaves me feeling like I've been visiting his in his apartment in Madrid. I'd give this to anyone who remembers being 10, who loves language, or who has a sense of humour. It's nicely episodic, would work well read aloud, and has millions of fantastic bit to read for a quick book talk. Hilarious! ( )
  francescadefreitas | Apr 15, 2011 |

"Nobody knows me as Manolito García Moreno, not even Big Ears López, and he's my best friend; even though sometimes he can be a dog and a traitor (and other times, a dog traitor), he's still my best friend and he's a whole lotta cool.

In Carabanchel-that's the name of my neighborhood in Madrid, in case I haven't told you-everyone knows me as Manolito Four-Eyes."

"Don't try to be different," says Manolito's mother. But he can't help it-he doesn't have to try. Whether he's fighting over the One-and-Only Susana; trying not to fight with Ozzy the Bully; telling his entire life story to the school psychologist; or discovering the true meaning of World Peace-ten-year-old Manolito is a real original. As he'd say, in the worldwide world, there's nobody like him! And for the first time, this best-selling phenomenon from Spain is available in English.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:19 -0400)

Manolito Gafotas, a boy living in a suburb of Madrid, has an energetic mother, an eccentric grandfather, good friends, a little brother he calls "Imbecile", an overworked school psychologist and, above all, lots of things to tell about. He passes through life with his eyes and ears wide open, snapping up words adults use and endowing them with his own meaning, telling the reader about his experiences and thoughts as best he can.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,561,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible