The Story of My Life by Helen Keller

The Story of My Life (original 1903; edition 1996)

by Helen Keller (Author)

A serious illness destroyed Helen Keller's sight and hearing at the age of two. At seven, she was helped by Anne Sullivan, her beloved teacher and friend. Through sheer determination and resolve, she learned to speak and prepared herself for entry into prep school by age sixteen. Later she enrolled at Radcliffe and graduated with honors. Her motto: "There are no handicaps, only challenges."… (more)
Member:ThePinkCook
Title:The Story of My Life
Authors:Helen Keller (Author)
Info:Penguin (1996), Edition: Dover ed, 80 pages

The Story of My Life by Helen Keller (1903)

English (37)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (40)
Interesting. Uneventful. Written when she was 22, Keller reflects on her childhood and what she learned from Teacher (Sullivan) as well as recounting people she met and books she read and languages she studied (French & German). Actually a very accomplished young lady and if you factor in that she's blind and deaf, it almost seems magical. But, not presented in a particularly interesting way. It was ...... ok. ( )
  Terrie2018 | Feb 21, 2020 |
I liked this book, but some things I didn't understand. I couldn't understand how she knew what race someone was unless someone told her. I mean she couldn't see? How did she know if someone did a great job in a play or not without being able to see or hear? I loved her words, but I just kept wanting to know more about how she was able to do some of the things she was able to do. This book has me wanting to read more about her life. ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Dec 19, 2019 |
This is a composition of Helen Keller's diaries, notes, and observations from her childhood up through her time in college. She talks openly of what it was like to be blind and deaf, to finally learn once a teacher was brought to her that could help her learn to communicate, and how she decided what she was going to study in college. She talks openly about her disability and how hard it was for her to go to college knowing her professors could not communicate well with her and it would be hard for her to access the curriculum.

The story of Helen Keller is near and dear to me. Having a daughter who is legally blind, Helen Keller is an inspiration. I see what she was able to accomplish at the turn of the century, and how far accessibility has come for the blind. Helen was reliant on her teacher so much more than students today are. Technology for the blind plus the development of cochlear implants for the deaf has changed the world for these two classes of disabilities.

As for the book, well.....it was fine. IT was a little boring - as I am sure more people would find reading anyone's diary a bit boring. I wanted to hear more about her story and and her struggle, but what it mostly was - was her mundane day to day activities. Almost to a fault she would explain visits from people in great detail. It was constant positive spin from Helen's point of view. She seemed to live an extremely normal life according to her account. What was revealing was actually notes at the end that spoke more of the truth about Helen and her daily life. (as in - she still had a very difficult getting around even her most familiar environments). I would rather it has been more truthful than all rainbows and sunshine.

JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
I wish I had read this sooner. What I remember of what I was taught about Keller was never from her perspective. It was how she was so difficult and generally lived a secluded life. But when she tells her own story, it is with such persistent and unapologetic optimism.

I found her struggle with knowing what ideas were her own fascinating. If all you have is the description provided from others, it must be profoundly challenging to form original thoughts in certain areas. That resonated with me and struck me.

Not only is Keller an example of a person with disabilities defying stereotypes, but she even has the nerve to do so with joy! *jawdrop* Keller found such pure beauty and eloquently expressed her appreciation for what she was grateful for. She is a person I know I admire, and I would put this short read on a required reading list for sure! ( )
  lbeller | Jan 9, 2019 |
This short book is a glowing testament to the will and determination of human spirit, and to the enjoyment of life even in the face of seemingly insurmountable obstacles.

Helen Keller, blind and deaf due to an early childhood illness, lives in painful emotional isolation until the arrival of her beloved teacher, Miss Sulivan. She teaches Helen language by spelling words into her hand. Soon she learns to read, write, and eventually, she is determined to learn speech and lipreading via touching. She enrolls in college, writes with a Braille typewriter, and with her teacher’s assistance, enjoys a variety of activities that would have been unattainable before for a blind and deaf person - such as swimming, bicycling and theater. She particularly enjoys reading, experiencing stories and sensations otherwise unattainable to her. She learns Greek and German, meets and converses with wide array of interesting and famous people, and keeps a large correspondence.

I was particularly struck by her great enjoyment of life and the richness of her descriptions of her experiences and sensations. We assume that seeing and hearing are just about all of our experience - Helen proves otherwise. Another surprise is the eloquence, the richness of language. For someone unable to hear sounds and see letters, to attain such a high degree of literacy, it makes one think that anything is possible.

The reason I deducted a star was because she wrote this at 22, so it mainly deals with her education, and it gets a bit repetitive towards the end. Overall, a book that everyone should read. So inspiring. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |

Ward, CandaceEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woods, MaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To
ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL

Who has taught the deaf to speak
and enabled the listening ear to
hear speech from the Atlantic to the Rockies,

I DEDICATE
This Story of My Life.
It is with a kind of fear that I begin to write the history of my life.
The thought that my dear Heavenly Father is always near, giving me abundantly of all those things, which truly enrich life and make it sweet and beautiful, makes every deprivation seem of little moment compared with the countless blessings I enjoy.
Suddenly I felt a misty consciousness as of something forgotten - a thrill of returning thought; and somehow the mystery of language was revealed to me. I knew then that "w-a-t-e-r" meant the wonderful cool something that was flowing over my hand. That living word awakened my soul, gave it light, hope, joy, set it free!
ISBN: 0486292495 9780486292496

This is Helen Keller's account of her triumph over deafness and blindness.
This story has become a symbol of hope for people all over the world. This book - published when Helen Keller was 22 - portrays the wild child who is locked in the dark and silent prison of her own body.

With an extraordinary sense of immediacy, Keller reveals her frustrations and rage, and takes the reader on the unforgettable journey of her education and breakthroughs into the world of communication. We see Keller as she finally realizes that her teacher's finger-spelled letters mean "water."  Suddenly, "that living word awakened my soul. gave it light, hope, joy, set it free!"
An unparalleled chronicle of courage, The Story of My Life

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393057445, 0393325687

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101298, 1400108934

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,818,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible