A Week from Sunday by Dorothy Garlock

A Week from Sunday

by Dorothy Garlock

97None123,717 (3.44)None

Before I read this book I read some reviews and I though oh oh I wasn't going to make it through the first five chapters without giving up out of sheer boredom. Therefore I was surprised that I really liked this book and the characters. It really drew me in. The only complaint is that the characters themselves as well as their romance could have been developed some more. ( )
  risadabomb | Apr 17, 2009 |
Adrianna Moore has just had a double shock: the death of her father and the discovery that he had left his entire estate to his lawyer. A duplicitous social climber, the attorney promises to give her back her inheritance...if she agrees to marry him a week from Sunday. Repulsed by his proposal and desperate to escape, Adrianna knows there's only one thing she can do--run!! But in the pouring rain, her car collides with a truck driven by Quinn Baxter. A lumberjack and bar owner, this rugged giant of a man can make a whole new life possible for her.

I don't know what it is about some books, how they can grab you and reel you in right away or ask yourself "Is this misery ever gonna end," or "Should I just give up now or just continue reading?" This was one of those page turner books everyone talks about. I will be reading more of her stories. There's also a housekeeper named Lola that gets what coming to her in the end. Happy Reading!! ( )
  Mzkitty570 | Aug 11, 2008 |
Another "meh" novel by a "meh" author. It's clear that I love my grandmother very much. As always, Dorothy Garlock does not have a good sense for dialogue. People simply don't talk this way. Of course, this is a romance novel, and of course it isn't meant to be taken too seriously, but if you're going to wail on about being an author who writes about real people, for the love of Mike, put words in the mouths of your characters that are believable.

I'm just saying!

It's not a terrible book like some of Dorothy Garlock's other works, but it's not great, either. It's a good book to read when your brain can't handle anything heavy, and to me that's all it is, a reprieve from heavier things. For that I'm giving what I feel to be a generous rating. ( )
  quillmenow | Mar 18, 2008 |

On the day her father is buried, 21-year-old Adrianna Moore learns that he left the family fortune under the control of Richard Pope, his attorney and partner who has lusted after Adrianna for years. Pope informs Adrianna that she'll get her money, but not how she thought: she must marry him in a week. Adrianna, wanting nothing to do with Richard, runs, but her flight ends when her car collides with a truck in rural Louisiana. The truck's driver is Quinn Baxter, a brawny tavern owner. A deal is struck: while Adrianna's car is being repaired, she'll play piano in Quinn's bar to make good for the damage done to his truck. Adrianna will also help out with Quinn's teenage handicapped brother. To do this, she has to bypass Lola Oxnard, a slovenly Cajun housekeeper with a violent bent who's determined to marry Quinn. As Adrianna and Quinn fall in love, Richard and Lola close in. The mawkish love story is as extreme as the plots hatched by the vile lawyer and the scheming backwoods gold digger, but Garlock's many readers will be satisfied by the triumph of good and love over evil and greed.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446616060, Mass Market Paperback)

Adrianna Moore has just had a double shock: the death of her father and the discovery that he had left his entire estate to his lawyer. A duplicitous social climber, the attorney promises to give her back her inheritance...if she agrees to marry him a week from Sunday. Repulsed by his proposal and desperate to escape, Adrianna knows there's only one thing she can do--run! But in the pouring rain, her car collides with a truck driven by Quinn Baxter. A lumberjack and bar owner, this rugged giant of a man can make a whole new life possible for her...if she accepts the bargain he offers. Will it be enough to free her from the clutches of an enemy who has vowed to possess her at any cost?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:20 -0400)

Bestselling author Dorothy Garlock returns to 1930s America in a poignant novel about the men and women living and loving in the heartland.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,419,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible