The Number 73304-23-4153-6-96-8 by T. Ott

The Number 73304-23-4153-6-96-8 (edition 2008)

by T. Ott

Member:allthesepieces
Title:The Number 73304-23-4153-6-96-8
Authors:T. Ott
Info:Fantagraphics Books (2008), Hardcover, 144 pages
Rating:***
Tags:graphic novels, wordless, death and dying, dark humor, superstition, death penalty, luck

The Number 73304-23-4153-6-96-8 by Thomas Ott

I'm getting to like the works of Thomas Ott. I came across them at the library, and the stark artwork and sturdy binding of his books impressed me. Those that I've read--or viewed, as the books emphasize the "graphic" in the graphic novel--tell strange, supernatural stories with a just a dash of horror. You can read these in mere minutes if that's your thing, but the stories are well-paced and the art is worth lingering over. In this particular tale, a man finds a scrap of paper bearing a sequence of numbers, and soon those numbers appear to be directing--or maybe just reflecting--the course of his life. Odd, macabre fun. ( )
  phredfrancis | Feb 8, 2014 |
After an electrocution a slip of paper with a long number sequence is found on the floor. The executioner brings it home with him, and soon starts to see those numbers everywhere. The number sequence sets his life in completely new directions – wonderful at first, then more and more sinister.

Another wordless graphic novel, and an enjoyable one – if not up par with the total excellence of Shaun Tan’s book. Ott’s story is simple, yet chillingly strange and is told effectively is a crisp, realist style. I’d be happy to read more from this Swiss artist. ( )
  GingerbreadMan | Sep 27, 2012 |
LIDO!
  ericoassis | Sep 8, 2012 |
I picked this up on a whim in the library, because the lack of "real" title (just a string of numbers) caught my attention. Then I noticed it had no text at all, and was even more curious, so I stood there and read it in the comics rack of the library.

The art was really great, and the pure black & white drawings give it a sense of darkness, even when things are going well. I enjoyed the story being portrayed. But I give 4 stars rather than 5 because I could tell from very early on how a few things were going to go. Even with knowing that, though, there was enough creative original content telling the story that I was still plenty curious about how exactly things would happen. I'm definitely interested in seeing more of Ott's work after reading this. ( )
  PolymathicMonkey | Aug 23, 2012 |
Altogether enjoyable. Although I found the resolution to be somewhat confusing, the very end was satisfying in its symmetry. Something you can thumb through and glean an interesting story in an extremely short amount of time. ( )
  labrick | Aug 15, 2011 |
Good people are always so sure they're right.

Barbara Graham
(Executed at San Quentin June 3, 1955)

When clearing up the cell of a prisoner who has been sentenced to death and subsequently executed, a prison guard finds a small piece of paper with a combination of numbers on it. On the spur of the moment, he puts it into his pocket. As the guard lives a solitary, monotonous life, the numbers on the paper awake his curiosity. To find out their hidden meaning could add a new meaning to his life as well, so the guard stumbles into situations in which the number or part of it seem to achieve a certain importance and offer him hints and possible solutions. And the numbers signal a radical change in his luck. He gets to know a woman, falls in love with her, and one night, in a casino, he wins a huge amount of money when gambling on these numbers. But the next morning, the woman and money have disappeared. The man goes in search of the woman and the money. But from that day on, his luck changes and the numbers bring him only bad luck, sending him inexorably into an abyss that he might not recover from"--Publisher's web site.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,995,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible