The Twenty-One Balloons by William Pene du…

The Twenty-One Balloons (original 1947; edition 1986)

by William Pene du Bois

Member:mcghol
Title:The Twenty-One Balloons
Authors:William Pene du Bois
Info:Puffin (1986), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:children's books, Your library
Tags:children's, fiction, Newbery, hot-air balloons, treasure, diamonds, San Fransisco, islands, balloons, unread

The Twenty-One Balloons by William Pène du Bois (1947)

Read this in a print edition this time and enjoyed it more. The illustrations are wonderful and really clarified the text for me. My book group all liked this one and were amazed at some of the science that was introduced in such a benign way. Surprised to see supply and demand explained to such a young group. ( )
  njcur | Jan 27, 2017 |
Got from Audible. a little absurd, glad I finally got around to reading it. ( )
  njcur | Jan 25, 2017 |
Just re-read this for http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/977184-discussion-of-august-s-gtr---newbery-.... Still loving it after all these years. Love the science & engineering, love the 'utopia' and social engineering. Love the illustrations. And love the idea of following one's dreams.

This time I noticed that it's a book for kids about adults. The main character doesn't even particularly like children. I also noticed that it's an homage to, not only [b:Around the World in Eighty Days|54479|Around the World in Eighty Days |Jules Verne|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1308815551s/54479.jpg|4537271] but also any of that early SF that had the framing story. I think particularly of Professor Challenger & his explorer's club in another novella I loved as a child, [b:The Lost World|10155|The Lost World|Arthur Conan Doyle|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320504012s/10155.jpg|1098725]. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
The book Twenty One Balloons is about a man named William Sherman who is part of the San Fransisco explorers club. He goes on a hot air balloon journey and is supposed to fly over the Pacific Ocean, but in two months he is stranded over the Atlantic Ocean. He is rescued by a Captain of a boat who brings him back to San Fransisco to tell his story about his journey. I enjoyed this book because of the descriptive language the author uses to describe the adventures of William Sherman. I learned a lot about hot air balloons and what makes them work. I recommend this book to people who are interested in flying vehicles. ( )
  ArjunR1 | May 22, 2016 |
The boys have not immediately cottoned to this one, so I re-read after bringing it home from my parents. And odd and fun little book, and the author's illustrations are marvelous.
  ben_a | Feb 21, 2016 |

William Pène du Boisprimary authorall editionscalculated
McDonough, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weinman, BradCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wife with love
There are two kinds of travel.
The ISBN 0140303588 belongs to Ruth Sawyer's Roller Skates, not The Twenty-One Balloons.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0140320970, Paperback)

Professor William Waterman Sherman intends to fly across the Pacific Ocean. But through a twist of fate, he lands on Krakatoa, and discovers a world of unimaginable wealth, eccentric inhabitants, and incredible balloon inventions. Winner of the 1948 Newbery Medal, this classic fantasy-adventure is now available in a handsome new edition. "William Pne du Bois combines his rich imagination, scientific tastes, and brilliant artistry to tell a story that has no age limit." -- The Horn Book

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:02 -0400)

Relates the incredible adventures of Professor William Waterman Sherman who in 1883 sets off in a balloon across the Pacific, survives the volcanic eruption of Krakatoa, and is eventually picked up in the Atlantic.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,499,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible