The Way of Perfection by Saint Teresa of…

The Way of Perfection

by Saint Teresa of Avila

For anyone of any religion who wants to understand the struggles of a mystic recounted first hand. This one is more St. Teresa's "How to do" book. ( )
  Debjani_Ray | Apr 30, 2014 |
A very beautiful book on the way of Christian living as understood and practiced by St. Theresa of Avila
  SunitaDcunha | Jul 1, 2010 |
Have read Way of Perfection, but not this study edition. Should be very good, helpful.
  catholichermit | Feb 5, 2009 |
This is a very readable, even domestic, work from a 16th century Spanish mystic. I have somehow not read her before, other than some brief excerpts, and I gather that this is not representative of her more mystical works. Steeled for something more like St. John of the Cross, it took me awhile to get used to her tone. Once I did, though, I found her an engaging thinker who uses some wonderful images and extended similes to make her points.

The book was written at the behest of her fellow nuns as an instruction in prayer. The first third of the book is dedicated to preparing oneself to pray, and thus it talks about virtues like humility at length. The last two-thirds is an extended analysis of the Lord's prayer, going through each clause in detail. It is in this section where Teresa's greatest writing and thinking is to be found.

All in all, I enjoyed reading this book. I feel more prepared now to read some of her more mystical books in the future ( )
  wrmjr66 | Oct 21, 2008 |
This work is a little different at first. It assumes you're well versed in European history, but after a few chapters it really walk you through a lot of interesting concepts of phsycology mingled with spirituality. ( )
  shooster | Dec 31, 1969 |

Saint Teresa of Avilaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carrigan, Henry L.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peers. E. AllisonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In all that I shall say in this Book, I submit to what is taught by Our Mother, the Holy
Roman Church; if there is anything in it contrary to this, it will be without my
knowledge. Therefore, for the love of Our Lord, I beg the learned men who are to
revise it to look at it very carefully and to amend any faults of this nature which there
may be in it and the many others which it will have of other kinds.

Of all of Teresa of Avila's works, The Way of Perfection is the most easily understood. Written at the height of the controversy surrounding the reforms Teresa instituted in the Carmelite order, it instructed the nuns in the practice of prayer. Teresa discusses the three essentials of a prayer-filled life -- fraternal love, detachment from material things, and true humility. Her counsels on these are the fruit of her practical experience. The book develops these ideas and takes up directly the matters of prayer and contemplation. Teresa gives various maxims for the practice of prayer and concludes the book with her masterful and impassioned version of the Lord's Prayer. "How is it that Thou canst give us so much with Thy first word?" she says of the "Our" at the beginning of that prayer.

The simple and practical nature of this mystical classic will appeal to all who seek a life of wholeness.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:43 -0400)

Through the entire book St. Teresa's desire is to teach her followers to love prayer, the most effective means of attaining virtue. Also included here is her profound commentary on the Lord's Prayer.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,322,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible