Billy Budd and Other Stories (Penguin…

Billy Budd and Other Stories (Penguin Classics) (1924)

by Herman Melville

English (8)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (10)
Distinctly we see the difference of the colors, but where exactly does the one first blendingly enter into the other? So with sanity and insanity.

Billy and Bartleby are old friends, portraits of bejeweled philosophy. Strange as it may appear, the selection which punched me in the jaw was Cock-A-Doodle-Do: a tale told by a fellow traveler (he drinks porter and reads Rabelais) about a magical fowl which is a fount of bliss, an actual agent of earthly happiness. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
Good v Evil and the law. Also, not a bad movie with Peter Ustinov. ( )
  jerry-book | Jan 26, 2016 |
I read Billy Budd for a book club I belong to. (I didn't read the other stories.) I found it incredibly slow going. I wouldn't even attempt to read it without access to Wikipedia or some other such source. Especially at the beginning, it makes a lot of cultural references with which I was completely unacquainted, e.g., Anacharis Cloots, Kaspar Hauser and Titus Oates. This made the meaning of some passages incomprehensible without some research.

The characters are all stereotypes. I found the plot unrealistic. I also found it just plain exasperating that we are not told what Vere said to Budd after Budd was condemned to death. ( )
  Jonri | Jun 9, 2014 |
I had to read Billy Budd for school. That is not really a deal breaker for me, but I just did not get the point of the story and it really seems like it is suppose to have a point. ( )
  Nikkles | Jun 28, 2008 |
Very difficult story to read, with Melville often distracted from the task at hand. However, if you can persevere the fabulous story manages to shine through the verbose prose. ( )
  tezz | Jan 22, 2008 |

Melville, HermanAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beaver, HaroldEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the time before steamships, or then more frequently than now, a stroller along the docks of any considerable seaport would occasionally have his attention arrested by a group of bronzed mariners, men-of-war's men or merchant sailors in holiday attire, ashore on liberty.

Collects
"Billy Budd, Sailor"
"The Piazza"
"Bartleby"
"Benito Cereno"
"The Encantadas"
"The Bell-Tower"

Stung by the difficult reception of Moby Dick, Herman Melville became obsessed with the difficulties of communicating his vision to readers. His sense of isolation lies at the heart of these later works. "Billy Budd, Sailor" is a classic confrontation between good and evil, and the story of an innocent young man unable to defend himself against a wrongful accusation. The other stories also illuminate the way fictions are created and shared by society.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:44 -0400)

Seven stories deal with a slave rebellion, an obstinate copyist, an accidental murder, a voyage to the Galapagos Islands, and a bachelors' dinner party.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,754,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible