One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother…

One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies (2004)

by Sonya Sones

English (39)  Korean (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (41)
When Ruby’s mother dies, she’s dragged three thousand miles away from her gorgeous boyfriend, Ray, to live in LA with her father, who she’s only ever seen in movies. He’s a mega-famous actor who divorced her mom before Ruby was even born, and while the rest of the world may love him, Ruby definitely does not.
  unsoluble | Jun 4, 2018 |
2005-2006 Isinglass Teen Read Winner
  Clippers | Dec 21, 2017 |
I like these books a bunch, I need to find more. ahhh

This one was funny. Made me lol a couple times. Which is goodstuff.

A little weird reading all these actor names as characters in the book and knowing the main characters father isn't an actor in the real world.

But that's fine. Still goodstuff. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
***SPOILER*** After her mother's death, Ruby reluctantly moves to California to live with her dad, whom she's never met but only seen in the movies. He is Whip Logan, Oscar-winning actor and neighbor of Cameron Diaz. Ruby resents her father for never being in her life and pushes aside his attempts to be a father to her. Whip's personal assistant Max serves as the emotional bridge between Ruby and her dad. Ruby eventually reconciles with Whip after a classmate's death stirs up feelings for her mother. It's then that Ruby learns Whip stayed out of her life per her mother's request but he had always loved her. It also turns out that Whip is gay and Max is his lover.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
This was another great verse novel from Sonya Sones. This is the fourth of Sones' books I've read, and I can say I haven't been disappointed yet.

I was a bit surprised with where the story went on this one. I was thinking it was going to be more of a romance focus, but instead there was more of a focus on Ruby healing after her mother's death and other major life changes. It was this and some other minor themes that really made the story stick for me. The characters and their actions were very realistic, especially Sones' younger characters. This author is a great at writing a teenager's point of view and voice effectively.

I always enjoy the way Sones can work a well-developed plot, characters, and conflict into her verse. The limited word count allows for each line to be to the point and, at times, more thought-provoking than a normal prose novel could. If this were written in prose I don't think it'd have held as much enjoyment, for me. Though, I have a feeling if this author were to write prose novels, I'd be just as eager to read them.

Robert.Zimmermann | Oct 15, 2015 |
For Bennett with love and admiration
I'm not that depressed, / considering that this / gigantic silver bullet with wings / is blasting me away from my whole entire life, / away from Lizzy Brody, / my best friend in the world, / away from Ray Johnston, / my first real boyfriend.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689858205, Hardcover)

The sassy title tells readers right away that this book is NOT like one of those hideous books where the mother dies, even if fifteen-year-old Ruby's mom has recently succumbed to cancer. Sonya Sones has made a reputation for engrossing and emotionally valid verse novels with her two previous books, Stop Pretending: What Happened When My Big Sister Went Crazy and What My Mother Doesn't Know, and here she has the good sense to avoid the platitudes of the tearjerker, focusing not on the melodrama of death but on the grieving process of a feisty teen--sometimes even with humor.

Ruby has turned her grief into anger at her father: because he divorced her mother before she was born, because she has had to leave her best friend Lizzie and her boyfriend Ray to come to Los Angeles to live with him, and because he is Whip Logan, a very famous and rich movie star. She turns a cold shoulder to all his gentle and persistent attempts to relate to her, sneers at the glamour of his Beverly Hills mansion and famous friends, and spends most of her time writing desperate emails to Lizzie and Ray, and her dead mother, from her Dream Bedroom. The friendship of Max, Whip's live-in assistant/personal trainer, is some comfort, and Ruby has a harder and harder time keeping her sneer as Whip ups the ante, from rides in his classic vintage cars, to shopping trips for anything she wants, to weekends in Las Vegas and Catalina and a party where Eminem is the guest of honor. But an earthquake leads to a surprising revelation that changes everything for Ruby, in an enormously satisfying ending. (Ages 12 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:30 -0400)

Fifteen-year-old Ruby Milliken leaves her best friend, her boyfriend, her aunt, and her mother's grave in Boston and reluctantly flies to Los Angeles to live with her father, a famous movie star who divorced her mother before Ruby was born.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,508,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible