One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother…

One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Sonya Sones

Member:kperry
Title:One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies
Authors:Sonya Sones
Info:Simon Pulse (2005), Paperback, 272 pages

One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies by Sonya Sones (2004)

English (38)  Korean (1)  Swedish (1)  All (40)
I like these books a bunch, I need to find more. ahhh

This one was funny. Made me lol a couple times. Which is goodstuff.

A little weird reading all these actor names as characters in the book and knowing the main characters father isn't an actor in the real world.

But that's fine. Still goodstuff. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
***SPOILER*** After her mother's death, Ruby reluctantly moves to California to live with her dad, whom she's never met but only seen in the movies. He is Whip Logan, Oscar-winning actor and neighbor of Cameron Diaz. Ruby resents her father for never being in her life and pushes aside his attempts to be a father to her. Whip's personal assistant Max serves as the emotional bridge between Ruby and her dad. Ruby eventually reconciles with Whip after a classmate's death stirs up feelings for her mother. It's then that Ruby learns Whip stayed out of her life per her mother's request but he had always loved her. It also turns out that Whip is gay and Max is his lover.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
This was another great verse novel from Sonya Sones. This is the fourth of Sones' books I've read, and I can say I haven't been disappointed yet.

I was a bit surprised with where the story went on this one. I was thinking it was going to be more of a romance focus, but instead there was more of a focus on Ruby healing after her mother's death and other major life changes. It was this and some other minor themes that really made the story stick for me. The characters and their actions were very realistic, especially Sones' younger characters. This author is a great at writing a teenager's point of view and voice effectively.

I always enjoy the way Sones can work a well-developed plot, characters, and conflict into her verse. The limited word count allows for each line to be to the point and, at times, more thought-provoking than a normal prose novel could. If this were written in prose I don't think it'd have held as much enjoyment, for me. Though, I have a feeling if this author were to write prose novels, I'd be just as eager to read them.

Robert.Zimmermann | Oct 15, 2015 |
4Q, 4P. I have to admit that I was very skeptical when I picked this book up. It looked fluffy, not very interesting, and I worried that it would be hard to connect with the main character through the poetic format. I was wrong. After just a few pages, readers will find themselves drawn into Ruby's world - whether they want to be or not.

After her mother dies, Ruby finds herself in an airplane flying to live with her father (a major celebrity) who she's never even met. Filled with cynical wit, humor, and lots of heart, readers follow Ruby as she writes a series of poems and emails to herself, her best friend, her boyfriend, and even to her dead mother. Ruby's voice is perfectly written - she is a believable 15 year old that is neither stereotypical or idealized. Her grief is real, and her interactions with her estranged father are complex and raw feeling - just as they should be. ( )
  kimneher | May 9, 2013 |
This is a great Teen read (also good for the teen at heart!). The story is as entertaining as the protagonist's sometimes hillariously cynical prose. It is written in a poem format, so just for studies on different kinds of writing, it is worth a read and a look into the mind of a California-based teen (it really is like that out there).
  StefanieGeeks | Apr 5, 2013 |
For Bennett with love and admiration
I'm not that depressed, / considering that this / gigantic silver bullet with wings / is blasting me away from my whole entire life, / away from Lizzy Brody, / my best friend in the world, / away from Ray Johnston, / my first real boyfriend.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689858205, Hardcover)

The sassy title tells readers right away that this book is NOT like one of those hideous books where the mother dies, even if fifteen-year-old Ruby's mom has recently succumbed to cancer. Sonya Sones has made a reputation for engrossing and emotionally valid verse novels with her two previous books, Stop Pretending: What Happened When My Big Sister Went Crazy and What My Mother Doesn't Know, and here she has the good sense to avoid the platitudes of the tearjerker, focusing not on the melodrama of death but on the grieving process of a feisty teen--sometimes even with humor.

Ruby has turned her grief into anger at her father: because he divorced her mother before she was born, because she has had to leave her best friend Lizzie and her boyfriend Ray to come to Los Angeles to live with him, and because he is Whip Logan, a very famous and rich movie star. She turns a cold shoulder to all his gentle and persistent attempts to relate to her, sneers at the glamour of his Beverly Hills mansion and famous friends, and spends most of her time writing desperate emails to Lizzie and Ray, and her dead mother, from her Dream Bedroom. The friendship of Max, Whip's live-in assistant/personal trainer, is some comfort, and Ruby has a harder and harder time keeping her sneer as Whip ups the ante, from rides in his classic vintage cars, to shopping trips for anything she wants, to weekends in Las Vegas and Catalina and a party where Eminem is the guest of honor. But an earthquake leads to a surprising revelation that changes everything for Ruby, in an enormously satisfying ending. (Ages 12 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:30 -0400)

Fifteen-year-old Ruby Milliken leaves her best friend, her boyfriend, her aunt, and her mother's grave in Boston and reluctantly flies to Los Angeles to live with her father, a famous movie star who divorced her mother before Ruby was born.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,502,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible