The Ghost Next Door by R. L. Stine

The Ghost Next Door

by R. L. Stine

Really good. Surprised me. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
So, some Goosebumps books have proven to be uncommonly good. Not like, I'm terrified good, but good in an amusing and slightly disturbing way that makes me realize why some parents were totally on board with the idea of banning them in the 90s. While I still fall firmly onto the "don't ban these books" side of the fence, I can see why some were slightly disturbed due to, say, [b: The Curse of the Mummies Tomb|125601|The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (Goosebumps, #5)|R.L. Stine|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1328867783s/125601.jpg|120966] or [b: The Girl Who Cried Monster|125581|The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps, #8)|R.L. Stine|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1328866711s/125581.jpg|120946] and some of the gorier descriptions. Not to mention scenes like the mask pulling in [b: The Haunted Mask|308540|The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11)|R.L. Stine|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1328867787s/308540.jpg|299495].

But for every scary moment in Goosebumps and decent book there's one like [b: The Ghost Next Door|464102|The Ghost Next Door|Wylly Folk St. John|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1459885331s/464102.jpg|2012728].

Yeah. Great twist, this one has. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
*spoiler*

I really enjoyed this book. Although I figured out that Hannah was the real ghost very early in the book, I enjoyed the process she went through to realize that, and her figuring out that she needed to help save Danny's life. ( )
  Heather19 | May 17, 2017 |
When an odd boy moves in next door, Hannah’s neighborhood Starts to get a bit stranger, and she is suspicious that the pale boy is a ghost!
  mcmlsbookbutler | Oct 14, 2016 |
## There's a strange new kid on the block....

Hannah's had a lonely summer vacation: Her friends are gone, too busy to answer her letters, and her small town's just about empty of things to do. About the only thing to do is keep her little brothers company around the campfire, until a boy named Danny suddenly appears living next door. Hannah's quick to make friends, but something about Danny just isn't quite right: He seems to come and go, disappearing at a moment's notice, almost as if he were a ghost....

[N.B. This review includes images, and was formatted for my site, dendrobibliography -- located here.]

Like any Goosebumps book, things aren't quite what they seem. Dark shadows start to haunt Hannah, intent on taking her out of the story. The Ghost Next Door is a finely-structured, classic ghost story. It's not quite scary, but rather thrilling. The mystery of the ghost's purpose and identity unravels in a really clever way. (Hint: The Ghost Next Door was the most prominent influence on the 2015 Goosebumps movie starring Jack Black!)

It's hard to discuss the plot without spoiling it. Rather than hinging on a last-page twist as most Goosebumps books do, the ghost plot goes through some shocking turns at the halfway point, completely changing the story's direction. It's not a major mystery, but is really satisfying to figure out regardless, and makes the Ghost Next Door one of R.L. Stine's most mature Goosebumps yarns.

R.L. Stine's Goosebumps (1992–1997):
#9 Welcome to Camp Nightmare | #11 The Haunted Mask ( )
1 vote alaskayo | Oct 9, 2016 |

When an odd new boy moves in next door, Hannah's neighborhood starts to get more and more eerie, and she suspects that the pale boy must be a ghost.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:54 -0400)

The new boy that moved in next door to Hannah keeps disappearing in the oddest ways.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,153,566 books! | Top bar: Always visible