Knitting Rules! by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

Knitting Rules! (2006)

by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

Recently added byprivate library, lostkiwi, thefirstdark, ALLTHEBOOKS, jjmcgaffey, BronteR0se, Watry, Tytania, magerber

I loved this book! Loved Stephanie's humour and all the little tips and tricks.
It was because of this book that I finally took the plunge and learned sock knitting on dpn's. I cast on using sport weight yarn and big needles and followed Stephanie's recipe. I ended up with one huge blue sock, but by god I did it!
So thanks for that. ( )
  lostkiwi | May 26, 2016 |
There's a lot of good information in this book - both in the pattern/instruction chapters, and in the first few about knitting in general. I find the author's voice mildly to extremely irritating - way too twee - but I can ignore her assumptions about the addictiveness of knitting (and how anyone who knits but isn't addicted is a poseur of one sort or another) for the utility of the information. I definitely want to knit her basic sock pattern (I've been looking for this!) and probably several others as well, and the descriptions of gauge and yarn are quite useful. I got this because Elizabeth Moon (yes, the author) recommended it - she knits her own socks, and said that she started with McPhee's instructions (and then went off on her own, as you can with a firm foundation). ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Apr 11, 2016 |
I never expected a knitting book to be this funny. It made me laugh out loud a couple of days after something really bad happened in my life. It's that funny (well, it is if you're a knitter)

It also has a good simple pattern for a basic sock that I'm pretty sure I will be trying out. ( )
1 vote JudithProctor | Oct 28, 2015 |
This is my favorite Harlot book. I good mix of the humorous and the practical. It contains her famous Sock Recipe. ( )
  quixoposto | Nov 8, 2013 |
One of the most amusing, resourceful, best knitting reference books ever! ( )
  sswright46168 | Aug 29, 2013 |
For Janine whose constant ability to find bright joy in the mundane is deeply missed.
If you picked up this book, I probably don't need to convince you that knitting is great.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, the celebrated blogger and humorist of the knitting world, is back, continuing her running dialogue with her knitting compatriots. Both a celebration of knitting and a sourcebook for practical information, this book is a collection of useful advice and emotional support for the knitter. Pearl-McPhee examines essential truisms of knitting, side by side with tongue in-cheek warnings, realities, and fantasies about the act of knitting and the people who do it. She unravels the mysteries of what it is that makes knitting click, and dares to question longstanding rules and uncover the true essence of what makes a hat a hat, a sock a sock, and so on. Insights into why certain techniques work encourage knitters to take control and knit in the way that works best for them.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,918,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible