Knitting Rules! by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

Knitting Rules! (2006)

by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

This is my favorite Harlot book. I good mix of the humorous and the practical. It contains her famous Sock Recipe. ( )
  quixoposto | Nov 8, 2013 |
One of the most amusing, resourceful, best knitting reference books ever! ( )
  sswright46168 | Aug 29, 2013 |
I didn't understand all the knitting terms in this book, but there are many episodes that are similar to other collecting habits and hobbies, so I enjoyed it. This is not a book of patterns and instructions, but a book of short essays that describe the joy and frustration of being a knitter. The author discusses teaching people to knit, working on joint projects, losing favorite needles, knitting her first afghan all with a sense of humor and wit.
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
Her basic sock recipe. I love having it to hand. Will definitely try some of her other patterns. ( )
  sumik | Jul 18, 2013 |
I am upgrading my rating of this book for the general sock recipe alone, which I have used more times than I think I want to say. ( )
1 vote sriemann | Mar 30, 2013 |
For Janine whose constant ability to find bright joy in the mundane is deeply missed.
If you picked up this book, I probably don't need to convince you that knitting is great.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, the celebrated blogger and humorist of the knitting world, is back, continuing her running dialogue with her knitting compatriots. Both a celebration of knitting and a sourcebook for practical information, this book is a collection of useful advice and emotional support for the knitter. Pearl-McPhee examines essential truisms of knitting, side by side with tongue in-cheek warnings, realities, and fantasies about the act of knitting and the people who do it. She unravels the mysteries of what it is that makes knitting click, and dares to question longstanding rules and uncover the true essence of what makes a hat a hat, a sock a sock, and so on. Insights into why certain techniques work encourage knitters to take control and knit in the way that works best for them.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,368,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible