The Battle of Salamis: The Naval Encounter…

The Battle of Salamis: The Naval Encounter that Saved Greece -- and… (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Barry Strauss

Member:atortorice001
Title:The Battle of Salamis: The Naval Encounter that Saved Greece -- and Western Civilization
Authors:Barry Strauss
Info:Simon & Schuster (2005), Paperback, 294 pages
Collections:Your library, Books Read, Seminar in Naval History
Tags:Non-fiction, Naval History, Ancient Greece, History, 938

The Battle of Salamis: The Naval Encounter that Saved Greece -- and Western Civilization by Barry Strauss (2004)

I'm part-way through this, and expect to read it in pieces over the next few weeks. I'm interested in the topic, and certainly learning something, but the basic technique--a thrilling but mostly unsourced and often conjectural narrative--leaves me unsatisfied. Anyway, isn't that what Herodotus is? ( )
  kristi_test_04 | Jun 17, 2016 |
Another event that saved Western Civilization. ( )
  clarkland | Sep 15, 2015 |
Wow, well, certainly a lot of localised myth and bullshit but the basic issues were correct.
The Persians were victim to local horseshit and the locals were privy to real-time data, as we were to term it today. Add that to arrogant Persian navy mistakes - as if their exhausted crew could outperform for thirty hours at a stretch flawlessly...ridiculous!

The Persians were fooled into diving into battle prematurely and when their rowers were exhausted beyond belief from two days of rowing in the open sea...they were easy prey to the waiting and disciplined Greeks.
Once again sad that so many lives were lost to futility of purpose, futlity of resolve, futility of understanding.

On a late September day in 480 B.C., Greek warships faced an invading Persian armada in the narrow Salamis Straits in the most important naval battle of the ancient world. Overwhelmingly outnumbered by the enemy, the Greeks triumphed through a combination of strategy and deception. More than two millennia after it occurred, the clash between the Greeks and Persians at Salamis remains one of the most tactically brilliant battles ever fought. The Greek victory changed the course of western history -- halting the advance of the Persian Empire and setting the stage for the Golden Age of Athens.

In this dramatic new narrative account, historian and classicist Barry Strauss brings this landmark battle to life. He introduces us to the unforgettable characters whose decisions altered history: Themistocles, Athens' great leader (and admiral of its fleet), who devised the ingenious strategy that effectively destroyed the Persian navy in one day; Xerxes, the Persian king who fought bravely but who ultimately did not understand the sea; Aeschylus, the playwright who served in the battle and later wrote about it; and Artemisia, the only woman commander known from antiquity, who turned defeat into personal triumph. Filled with the sights, sounds, and scent of battle, The Battle of Salamis is a stirring work of history.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:05 -0400)

"The battle of Salamis in 480 B.C. was the most important naval encounter of the ancient world. In the narrow strait between the island of Salamis and the Greek mainland, a heavily outnumbered Greek navy defeated the Persian armada in a victory that is still studied today. The Greek triumph at Salamis stopped the advancing Persians and saved the first democracy in history. It made Athens the dominant city in Greece, gave birth to the Athenian empire, and set the stage for the Age of Pericles. On the Persian side, the battle of Salamis also featured history's first female admiral and sailors from three continents."."The Battle of Salamis features some of the most fascinating figures in the ancient world: Themistocles, the Athenian commander who masterminded the victory (and tricked his fellow Greeks into fighting); Xerxes, the Persian king who understood land but not naval warfare; Aeschylus, the Greek playwright who took part at Salamis and later immortalized it in drama; and Artemisia, the half-Greek queen who was one of Xerxes' trusted commanders and who turned defeat into personal victory."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Barry Strauss is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,871,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible