Kensuke's Kingdom by Michael Morpurgo

Kensuke's Kingdom (original 1999; edition 2004)

by Michael Morpurgo

Member:bookwren
Title:Kensuke's Kingdom
Authors:Michael Morpurgo
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 176 pages
Collections:Children's Literature, Small Beauties Book Club, Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2

Kensuke's Kingdom by Michael Morpurgo (1999)

(4.8)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
this is a very good book i would advise you to read it. there is a boy and a man on a island read for more information ( )
  lw.08.foxton | Jul 14, 2014 |
I had to read this in Primary school, didn't like the book or the teacher for that matter. Morpurgo has written some great books but this sure ain't one of them. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
Another wonderful book by Mr Morpurgo. Please keep writing. I'm so very glad I found this author. Much more than your typical desert island book. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
I read this for the second or third time for my book club and loved it all over again. I love Michael Morpurgo's style of writing: descriptive, attentive to the details of the natural world with well-developed characters and plot, and strong themes of friendship, self-growth, and the horrors of war. Everyone in the club loved it, too. Some of my favorite parts are Kensuke's words of wisdom to Michael, such as, when Michael looks always toward the future of rescue instead of enjoying his present friendship and learning with the elder: "Life must not be spent always hoping, always waiting. Life is for living." I also love how Kensuke is content with his own company and the company of wild companions, the orangutans. He has his art, his routines, his purpose of protecting the wildlife, and a good place to call home, however humble it may seem. ( )
  bookwren | Nov 24, 2013 |

Paterson, StuartAdaptersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Place, FrançoisIllustrationssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pullens, Renésecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stimson, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Graham and Isabella. My thanks to Isabella Hutchins, Terence Buckler, and Professor Seigo Tonimoto and his family, for all their kind help with this book.
I disappeared on the night before my twelfth birthday.
At school I had never been much good at writing. I could never think of what to write or how to begin. But on the Peggy Sue I found I could open up my log and just write. There was always so much I wanted to say. And that's the thing. I found I didn't really write it down at all. Rather, I said it. I spoke it from my head, down my arm, through my fingers and my pencil, and onto the page. And that's how it reads to me now, all these years later, like me talking. (p. 23)
I still dream of the elephants in South Africa. I loved how slow they are, how thoughtful. I loved their wise, weepy eyes. (p. 34-35)
Even then as I stood there, that first morning, filled with apprehension at the terrifying implications of my dreadful situation, I remember thinking how wonderful it was, a green jewel of an island framed in white, the sea all around it a silken shimmering blue. Strangely, perhaps comforted somehow by the extraordinary beauty of the place, I was not at all downhearted. On the contrary I felt strangely elated. I was alive. (p. 50)
In the dying light of each day he would sit beside me and watch over me, the last of the evening sun on his face. I felt as if he were healing me with his eyes. (p. 102 in the chapter "All That Silence Said")
I had always liked to draw, but from Kensuke I learned to love it, that to draw or paint I first had to observe well, then set out the form of the picture in my head and send it down my arm through the tip of the brush and onto the shell. He taught me all this entirely without speaking. He simply showed me. (p. 108-9)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0439591813, Mass Market Paperback)

A spellbinding tale of survival and self-discovery from award-winning author Michael Morpurgo, who is poised for breakthrough U.S. success.

When Michael's father loses his job, he buys a boat and convinces Michael and his mother to sail around the world. It's an ideal trip - even Michael's sheepdog can come along. It starts out as the perfect family adventure - until Michael is swept overboard. He's washed up on an island, where he struggles to survive. Then he discovers that he's not alone. His fellow-castaway, Kensuke, is wary of him. But when Michael's life is threatened, Kensuke slowly lets the boy into his world. The two develop a close understanding in this remote place, but the question of rescue continues to divide them.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:02 -0400)

When Michael is swept off his family's yacht, he washes up on a desert island, where he struggles to survive--until he finds he is not alone.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,362,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible