Kensuke's Kingdom by Michael Morpurgo

Kensuke's Kingdom (original 1999; edition 2004)

by Michael Morpurgo

Member:bookwren
Title:Kensuke's Kingdom
Authors:Michael Morpurgo
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 176 pages
Collections:Children's Literature, Small Beauties Book Club, Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2

Kensuke's Kingdom by Michael Morpurgo (1999)

English (31)  Spanish (1)  All languages (32)
This is the story of a boy who is lost at sea and finds a new way to survive creating friendships and learning to appreciate what he already had.
  gregresch | Jun 5, 2016 |
A gripping tale of a young boy taken from the familiarity and comfort of his home and school as his parents try their best to bounce back after losing their jobs at the brick factory. The answer: Sail around the world, of course! Michael and his dog are thrown overboard and are rescued to a (deserted?) tropical island where the real journey of discovery and identification of the self begins. ( )
  Davis22 | May 11, 2016 |
Kensuke’s Kingdom by Michael Morpurgo is an children’s adventure story about 11 year old Michael and his dog, Stella who are washed overboard and end up on a desert island in the Pacific during a family trip in the 1980’s. There is one other human on the island, an elderly Japanese man who looks after Michael but doesn’t seem to want him to try to catch the attention of any passing boat or do anything that could perhaps end in Michael’s rescue and reunion with his mother and father.

At first Michael is bitterly angry at Kensuke’s attitude but life on the island has its own gentle rhythm that eventually finds Michael and Kensuke bonding as they fish, paint and play football together. Kensuke tells Michael his story of how he ended up on the island. Kensuke eventually realizes that Michael is too young to be stranded on the island the rest of his life so the two build a signal fire and through their conversations, Michael is sure that Kensuke will come off the island with him. But when rescue finally arrives, Kensuke elects to stay on the island as he feels responsible for protecting the orangutans and other wildlife that are to be found there.

My granddaughter read this book for school and wasn’t particularly taken with it and as I knew this author and love survival stories, I decided to read it for myself. I can understand why she wasn’t enthralled by the book as there wasn’t a lot of action or humor in the story, both elements of which she looks for. This is a book to bring an awareness of the environment to the young and as such, I thought the author did a fine job. I enjoyed the book with its simple language and quiet understated story. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Apr 20, 2016 |
Very touching story of a family sailing around the world and, twelve year old Michael goes overboard with his dog in a violent storm, while his parents are below, asleep.
He finds, himself and dog, washed up on what he thinks is an uninhabited island. But, who is leaving him food and water, in the morning.
Beautifully told story, with Michael as the narrator. ( )
  gogglemiss | Feb 11, 2016 |
I was expecting this book to be similar to Robinson Crusoe but it is so much more. I was actually in tears by the end of the book I found it to be a very touching and sensitive story especially since there is a real case of a Japanese survivor of WW2. It is very well written especially for the audience it is intended for. ( )
  Veronica.Sparrow | Nov 15, 2015 |

Paterson, StuartAdaptersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Place, FrançoisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pullens, Renésecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stimson, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Graham and Isabella. My thanks to Isabella Hutchins, Terence Buckler, and Professor Seigo Tonimoto and his family, for all their kind help with this book.
I disappeared on the night before my twelfth birthday.
At school I had never been much good at writing. I could never think of what to write or how to begin. But on the Peggy Sue I found I could open up my log and just write. There was always so much I wanted to say. And that's the thing. I found I didn't really write it down at all. Rather, I said it. I spoke it from my head, down my arm, through my fingers and my pencil, and onto the page. And that's how it reads to me now, all these years later, like me talking. (p. 23)
I still dream of the elephants in South Africa. I loved how slow they are, how thoughtful. I loved their wise, weepy eyes. (p. 34-35)
Even then as I stood there, that first morning, filled with apprehension at the terrifying implications of my dreadful situation, I remember thinking how wonderful it was, a green jewel of an island framed in white, the sea all around it a silken shimmering blue. Strangely, perhaps comforted somehow by the extraordinary beauty of the place, I was not at all downhearted. On the contrary I felt strangely elated. I was alive. (p. 50)
In the dying light of each day he would sit beside me and watch over me, the last of the evening sun on his face. I felt as if he were healing me with his eyes. (p. 102 in the chapter "All That Silence Said")
I had always liked to draw, but from Kensuke I learned to love it, that to draw or paint I first had to observe well, then set out the form of the picture in my head and send it down my arm through the tip of the brush and onto the shell. He taught me all this entirely without speaking. He simply showed me. (p. 108-9)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0439591813, Mass Market Paperback)

A spellbinding tale of survival and self-discovery from award-winning author Michael Morpurgo, who is poised for breakthrough U.S. success.

When Michael's father loses his job, he buys a boat and convinces Michael and his mother to sail around the world. It's an ideal trip - even Michael's sheepdog can come along. It starts out as the perfect family adventure - until Michael is swept overboard. He's washed up on an island, where he struggles to survive. Then he discovers that he's not alone. His fellow-castaway, Kensuke, is wary of him. But when Michael's life is threatened, Kensuke slowly lets the boy into his world. The two develop a close understanding in this remote place, but the question of rescue continues to divide them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:13 -0400)

When Michael is swept off his family's yacht, he washes up on a desert island, where he struggles to survive--until he finds he is not alone.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,624,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible