Middle School Is Worse Than Meatloaf: A Year…

Middle School Is Worse Than Meatloaf: A Year Told Through Stuff

by Jennifer L. Holm

Anastasia's Album: The Last Tsar's Youngest Daughter Tells Her Own Story by Hugh Brewster (reading-machine)
    reading-machine: It is, truly, told through stuff. An amazing read for anyone who has a sense of humor.

I absolutely loved this book. I think the format itself, as a scrapbook collage, was so intriguing - I read the book in half an hour and couldn't put it down! It really well exemplified and demonstrated the emotions that middle school students, especially girls, go through. I remember feeling so easily let down, so frustrated by my family, the drama of friendship fallouts, the constant need to fit in and feel pretty. It was really well written. Ginny handled every situation that was presented to her with strength and confidence.

I'm not sure how I would incorporate this into the classroom, other than reading it to the class during a reading time. But, I think it would be not only hilarious, but beneficial for students of that age group to read. Ginny went through and overcame many big and little obstacles, and seeing that would be really great for other middle schoolers. ( )
  aelmer | Mar 11, 2014 |
A great, realistic look at the life of a middle schooler. Ginny has to deal with some normal middle school stuff along with some big family stuff. Told uniquely through notes and homework assignments, this book is very engaging.
  polochick | Feb 18, 2014 |
In this book, protagonist Ginny takes readers on a visual tour of her seventh grade year and all of its ups and downs through a scrapbook-type book filled with various kinds of “stuff” – to do lists, journal entries, school assignments, drawings, newspaper clippings, instant messages, cards, etc. This book is a fast-moving, entertaining read. It deals with a number of tough issues – such as the death of Ginny’s father in a car accident, her mother’s remarriage, and her brother’s trouble with the law – as well as more typical middle school activities (i.e. first dances, bad grades, getting braces, etc.) and pre-teen worries about fitting in. This book is highly recommended for school and public libraries. Middle school students in particular will be able to relate to Ginny’s experiences and trials and tribulations, but all readers are sure to enjoy this uniquely created book. It could even be used to inspire students to create similar scrapbooks of their own lives and experiences. ( )
  CarolineBraden | Nov 5, 2013 |
Ginny narrates her life through all of her “stuff” – journal entries, to do lists, report cards, homework, post-its, receipts, newspaper clippings, horoscopes, notes on the fridge, plus much more – to recount how seventh grade is the worst year ever. Newberry Honor winner, Jennifer L. Holm, cleverly depicts a realistic but fictional story of a typical soon to be thirteen year-old, managing the usual traumas of middle school life like makeovers gone terribly wrong, broken friendships, bad grades, first dances, as well as less trivial topics such as adjusting to a new stepdad and a delinquent older brother, in this unique graphic novel. Visually attractive, each page is filled with a colorful assortment of Ginny’s stuff, a scrapbook of everyday items that personally connect the reader to the protagonist herself. Tween girls will easily relate to Ginny and her humorous yet genuine chronicle of her seventh grade triumphs and disasters. ( )
  alizastein | Oct 5, 2013 |
I read this for my Lit Circle book, and what a great quick read this was! I love the collage style of the book, and it made me feel like I actually got to know Ginny and her family through the filled notebook pages.
  rebeccabrooke | Jun 9, 2013 |
Bob pulled up next to the curb in a car that looked like someone took care of it. He was an insurance salesman, he explained, and lost. I looked into those big brown trustworthy eyes and just knew he'd make a great dad. They were the kind of eyes you would expect on a golden retriever or maybe a nice old cat. I gave him directions, and then I told him that my mom could really use some insurance.

Ginny has ten items on her big to-do list for seventh grade. None of them, however, include accidentally turning her hair pink. Or getting sent to detention for throwing frogs in class. Or losing the lead role in the ballet recital to her ex-best friend. Or the thousand other things that can go wrong between September and June. But it looks like it's shaping up to be that kind of a year! Here's the story of one girl's worst school year ever -- told completely through her stuff.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:04 -0400)

The first year of middle school can be exciting, or scarey, just ask Ginny.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,461,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible