Middle School Is Worse Than Meatloaf: A Year…

Middle School Is Worse Than Meatloaf: A Year Told Through Stuff

by Jennifer L. Holm

Anastasia's Album: The Last Tsar's Youngest Daughter Tells Her Own Story by Hugh Brewster (reading-machine)
    reading-machine: It is, truly, told through stuff. An amazing read for anyone who has a sense of humor.

Booktalk: Ginny’s story of her school year is not told in sentences and paragraphs the way a regular book is. Ginny’s story is actually told in (show pages): to-do lists, report cards, post-it notes from her mom, comics drawn by her brother Henry, bank statements, school flyers, instant messages from her best friend, newspaper articles, her homework, even the cast on her broken arm. Ginny’s story is told through...stuff. "Read" through her stuff and you'll see how her year is going. But look closely, too, because you'll find out other things that are going on that makes Ginny think MIDDLE SCHOOL IS WORSE THAN MEATLOAF. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Ginny Davis is a fairly typical 7th grader. She keeps a journal outlining her goals - #1 get a new dad, #2 get a lead role in the ballet recital, #3 look good in the school photo, etc. The book is organized as illustrations which are “snapshots” of her journals, notes on the refrigerator, report cards, notes to/from her teachers, test papers, text messages and postcards. It reminds me of Diary of a Wimpy Kid but I don’t think it’s done quite as well. Holm includes some serious issues here – accommodating a new stepdad, a brother who is “acting out,” bullying – but her format doesn’t really allow her to explore them. It might hold the interest of a middle school girl, but I don’t think my niece (age 11) would particularly like it. I was bored. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
B Really good. Loved the format and the humor.
  burtmiller | May 6, 2015 |
I absolutely loved this book. I think the format itself, as a scrapbook collage, was so intriguing - I read the book in half an hour and couldn't put it down! It really well exemplified and demonstrated the emotions that middle school students, especially girls, go through. I remember feeling so easily let down, so frustrated by my family, the drama of friendship fallouts, the constant need to fit in and feel pretty. It was really well written. Ginny handled every situation that was presented to her with strength and confidence.

I'm not sure how I would incorporate this into the classroom, other than reading it to the class during a reading time. But, I think it would be not only hilarious, but beneficial for students of that age group to read. Ginny went through and overcame many big and little obstacles, and seeing that would be really great for other middle schoolers. ( )
  aelmer | Mar 11, 2014 |
A great, realistic look at the life of a middle schooler. Ginny has to deal with some normal middle school stuff along with some big family stuff. Told uniquely through notes and homework assignments, this book is very engaging.
  polochick | Feb 18, 2014 |
Bob pulled up next to the curb in a car that looked like someone took care of it. He was an insurance salesman, he explained, and lost. I looked into those big brown trustworthy eyes and just knew he'd make a great dad. They were the kind of eyes you would expect on a golden retriever or maybe a nice old cat. I gave him directions, and then I told him that my mom could really use some insurance.

Ginny has ten items on her big to-do list for seventh grade. None of them, however, include accidentally turning her hair pink. Or getting sent to detention for throwing frogs in class. Or losing the lead role in the ballet recital to her ex-best friend. Or the thousand other things that can go wrong between September and June. But it looks like it's shaping up to be that kind of a year! Here's the story of one girl's worst school year ever -- told completely through her stuff.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:48 -0400)

The first year of middle school can be exciting, or scarey, just ask Ginny.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible