Something to Kill For by Susan Holtzer

Something to Kill For (1994)

by Susan Holtzer

This is the first book in the mystery series starring Anneke Haagan. She's a small business owner in Ann Arbor, MI, whose company's probably what today we'd call a 'computer consulting' company. She employs college students from the college down the road (one you may have heard of Michigan), and does a lot of different programming stuff including for the police. That fact is one of the reasons she gets dragged fully into the mystery in this book.

That and the fact that she's one of the people who finds the first almost dead body. Her friend Joyce, an antique dealer, takes her on one of her weekend garage sale trips (to visit many, many sales), and on their way to one of the last ones is when they find one of the less liked garage sale followers (not all are dealers).

It's a really interesting look into not just the mystery, but also into antiques. I'm not sure about the accuracy, but within the story's framework, everything made sense.

I also really liked the characters. They were all pretty unique characters with messy crazy back stories and in some cases even crazier husbands and families.

And then there was Karl, a Lt. for the police, and in charge of the murder investigation. He's a former Pittsburg Steelers and Michigan linebacker turned police officer. And an interesting character that sort of grew on me as he grew on Anneke as well.

Finally there was a subplot that I didn't love, but have to admit fit very well in the narrative. Dennis, an Ex of Anneke's who's sorta trying to become an Un-Ex. The thing was that that part of the story took up space, but I'm not sure that it really had a point in the bigger novel picture.

Still a good start to the series, and Go Blue!! ( )
  DanieXJ | Jan 6, 2017 |
To my mother who introduced me to mysteries in the first place; and to Judy, because if she hadn't liked it, she'd have said so.
"Anneke, would you grab those dolls?"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312955898, Mass Market Paperback)

Ann Arbor, Michigan-home of a famous football team, a university full of experts and egomaniacs, and a lot of aging hippies, mellowing radicals, and art-school eccentrics. It is also the home of Anneke Haagen, a computer consultant who spends one spring morning on the garage-sale circuit. For Anneke, it's a day of scrounging through other people's musty junk for the Big Score-until she stumbles on an antiques dealer who has been brutally attacked, and whose last words are as baffling as they are politically incorrect.

When the suspicion of murder falls on her friend, Ellen Nakamura, Anneke must prove her innocence. That means not only working alongside a hunky, ex-professional football player turned detective who she's starting to fall for, but searching for the one garage-sale find that wasn't just a Big Score, it was to die for...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:31 -0400)

In Ann Arbor, Michigan, after a woman was bludgeoned at a garage sale, Anneke Haagen, a computer expert, helps Lieut. Karl Genesco hunt for a murderer stalking the antique community. The story is set amid antiques, computers and there is romance. The novel won the 1993 Malice Domestic Contest.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,317,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible