The Price of Silence by Kate Wilhelm

The Price of Silence (2005)

by Kate Wilhelm

This was an excellent mystery with two very strong (emotionally at least) female characters. Todd is the new editor at a small town newspaper in eastern (I think it was Oregon but could be Washington - only mentioned once and I'm not familiar enough with the cities to be absolutely sure). She is working with the matriarch publisher, Ruth Ann and learning to live in small town America. There are other wonderful characters introduced including Todd's husband, Barney, the local doctor, Sam, the publishers son, Johnny and a cast of much smaller parts, all of which enrich the story.

Two things are happening at once, a local girl, a young teen disappears and Ruth Ann has decided to dig into the somewhat murky history of this small town. When the two issues collide the town will never be the same.

I didn't see the ending coming at all - and love it when that happens. What fun to try and track the bad guy and still have no idea until the author decides to let you in on the secret!
  bookswoman | Mar 31, 2013 |
I listened to this as an audio book, and I have an unfortunate reaction to the reader's voice. she has a strident, forceful voice that is somewhat monotone and lacks both tonality and any subtlety. This is the same person who voices the Patricia Cornwall books, and her voice is too close to nails on a chalkboard to be able to become involved in the story. ( )
  wdlaurie | Jun 1, 2010 |
"The Price of Silence" is the first book by Kate Wilhelm that I've read. Not a bad book, but not very good either. At 432 pages, the book is in dire need of editing. The narrative is pedestrian and flat at best. As many books as Wilhelm has written, I was surprised at the amount of 'telling' versus 'showing.'
The main character, Todd Fielding, gets caught up too much of the time in preachy, know-it-all dialogue, and many other characters are one-dimensional and uninteresting, simply floating in and out of occasional scenes, while Todd works up another head of steam.
One character I did like a lot was Todd's employer, 81-year-old newspaper publisher, Ruth Ann Colonna, as well as her live-in helpers, Maria and Thomas Bird. My interest in them is the main reason I kept on reading.
I wanted to like this book, and I was interested enough in the storyline to read to the end, but I wondered at times if I'd ever get there. Not recommended. ( )
1 vote y2pk | Jan 7, 2010 |
A nice "comfortable" mystery novel---just moves along well with the story and the characters. The audio version was perfect while you're busy doing something that doesn't require much thinking. ( )
  nyiper | Jan 2, 2010 |
A very enjoyable mystery novel. This will be going to Meshe who picked it out of the Mystery VBB at BookObsessed. ( )
  elsi | Jul 15, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0778323382, Mass Market Paperback)

Disappearances. Murder. The Price of Silence in a Small Town.

In dire need of a job, Todd Fielding accepts the offer to work at The Brindle Times -- even if she has to move to the lackluster town of Brindle. As she settles into her new home, Todd is fully prepared to adapt to the boredom of small-town life, but her preconceptions of Brindle are completely shattered when a local girl disappears. Even more shocking to Todd is the town's sheer indifference to the incident. No one -- not ever the police -- appear particularly concerned.

When Todd looks deeper into the story, she discovers that five other girls have "run away" from Brindle under strange circumstances over the past twenty years. As she sets out to uncover the history of a town that has cloaked itself in secrecy for far too long, evidence of manipulation and cold-blooded murder begin to unravel. And Todd may be the next victim to pay the deadly price of silence.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:49 -0400)

Todd and her husband move to what seems to be a wonderful Oregon town when she is offered a position at a local newspaper, but when a little girl goes missing, Todd delves deeper and discovers that this community has a very dark past.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,753,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible