Disgrace: A Novel by J. M. Coetzee

Disgrace: A Novel (original 1999; edition 2000)

by J. M. Coetzee (Author)

9,190236540 (3.85)647
A white woman is gang-raped by blacks in this novel on post-apartheid South Africa. But she understands such settling of scores is inevitable, given what whites did to blacks, and she keeps the baby. By the author of Waiting for the Barbarians.
Member:paulmorriss
Title:Disgrace: A Novel
Authors:J. M. Coetzee (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2000), 220 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Disgrace by J. M. Coetzee (1999)

English (201)  Dutch (11)  Spanish (6)  French (4)  German (3)  Catalan (2)  Italian (2)  Hebrew (2)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (236)
This book was given to me by my SantaThing through LibraryThing.

Let me first say that this was my first book by Coetzee and I was immediately reminded of Philip Roth, but soon found a richer, more poetic style of writing with Coetzee.

To quote The New Yorker, Disgrace is "compulsively readable" and transports the reader into a world of the unthinkable, although not unfathomable. Well worth the read and very well written. ( )
  CJPG | Dec 29, 2019 |
I feel that ‘Disgrace’ is a well-judged and carefully thought title for a book as the story is indeed disgraceful, the novel is a perfectly wrought epitome of the word. The best aspect of this novel is visible in its disregard for a singular view, rather it goes fully and critiques the multiple dimensions of colonization and post colonialism with a pluralistic view of the history, characters, morality and wildlife, civility and primitivism. This is one of the best books to have being published, unarguably, but personally I wouldn’t recommend this novel to most people because ‘Disgrace’ creates an atmosphere of such raw tension and pain that only a serious reader can endure the limited words hidden between the thin covers.
Read reviews: https://bit.ly/2mOGFHK
  TheSoundsOfSilence | Oct 23, 2019 |
A sad book. Interesting to read, the story wasn't going the way I expected it to.
Sometimes all the good will in the world can't make problems go away. And sometimes no possible solution is a good one.
I can't stop thinking about the possibility that this/these kind of circumstances may be real life for real people. Not just a fictional story. And for some reason that makes me shudder a bit more today. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Sep 21, 2019 |
Disgrace by South African author, J. M. Coetzee is a difficult book to review. I actually quite liked the book but a big part of the main story-line involves both rape and violence toward animals. The book’s main character David Lurie is a lecturer at a Capetown university who, when accused of sexual misconduct with one of his students, chose not to defend himself but rather to simply suffer his fate with stoicism. In his mind, Lurie has done nothing wrong, so he prefers to get fired and suffer the disgrace rather than to endure a process of rehabilitation. He loses his job and then goes into the country to live with his daughter, Lucy, on her isolated farm.

At first this seems like a peaceful interlude, but this is South Africa and the violence is never far away. The farm is attacked by a group of black men, Lurie is beaten and burnt, while Lucy is raped. His daughter refuses to press charges, even when one of rapists turns up at her ambitious coloured neighbour, Petrus’ party. Instead she signs over her land and equipment to this neighbour in the unspoken agreement that she will not be attacked again.

This is a novel of bleakness, turmoil and conflict. The reader is drawn into the psychological makeup of David, yet the story is also about the political standards of South Africa and conditions in that post-apartheid country. There is also a connection made between humans and animals, both as David helps out in an animal clinic and at Lucy’s farm with her dog kennel business. I found myself both shocked and deeply affected by the brutal reality of this book yet I am eager to read more by this author. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Sep 15, 2019 |
Powerful fiction. ( )
1 vote StevenJohnTait | Jul 29, 2019 |
Even though it presents an almost unrelieved series of grim moments, ''Disgrace'' isn't claustrophobic or depressing, as some of Coetzee's earlier work has been. Its grammar allows for the sublime exhilaration of accident and surprise, and so the fate of its characters -- and perhaps indeed of their country -- seems not determined but improvised.

Any novel set in post-apartheid South Africa is fated to be read as a political portrait, but the fascination of Disgrace – a somewhat perverse fascination, as some will feel – is the way it both encourages and contests such a reading by holding extreme alternatives in tension.
added by Widsith | editThe Guardian, Adam Mars-Jones (Jul 18, 1999)

J. M. Coetzeeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Preis, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vosková, MonikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

For a man of his age, fifty-two, divorced, he has, to his mind, solved the problem of sex rather well.
Follow your temperament.
De gescande versie van In ongenade die op www.bibliotheek.nl als e-boek beschikbaar is, is van een zeer slechte kwaliteit: hele woorden zijn weggevallen, afbreektekens zijn spaties geworden en lettercombinaties als 'fj' en 'ff' zijn gelezen als '@' en '='.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,625,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible