Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee

Disgrace (original 1999; edition 2000)

by J.M. Coetzee

Member:felicityann86
Title:Disgrace
Authors:J.M. Coetzee
Info:Vintage (2000), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:contemporary fiction

Disgrace by J. M. Coetzee (1999)

Recently added byprivate library, EtonicQuasar, RobNor, arpitzain, NotaTurnip, 8heist, bookie53
Legacy LibrariesDavid Foster Wallace

English (163)  Dutch (9)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Hebrew (2)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Catalan (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (188)
This is a book I had intended to read for a long time and for which I had great expectations. However, my views are quite mixed. I always find present tense narration a bit annoying - that is one thing.
The main character is so unlikeable that even as he marginally starts to redeem himself, he is still very unappealing. His daughter frustrates him because she is a victim just like all of the women he has used.
I can see the power and wisdom of the story but it was definitely not an enjoyable book. ( )
  rosiezbanks | Jul 19, 2015 |
This book was not for me. The dialogue was wooden, and I felt thoroughly unengaged throughout the whole story. I couldn't get into the mindset of any of the characters. Events would occur - many of them horrific - but they felt rather flat and distant. It's not that I wouldn't recommend the book, but definitely for a different kind of reader than myself. ( )
  humblewomble | Jul 14, 2015 |
No happy endings -- not of the conventional sort -- probably! My kind of book, as Mr. Coetzee is my kind of writer. ( )
  V.V.Harding | Apr 21, 2015 |
I've always wondered if I'm not sophisticated enough as a reader. After all, I read this book and didn't really understand why it won the Booker Prize and the Nobel Prize. I can only assume that there are deeper meanings in the story that flew right over my head.

The writing is simple and straightforward. I didn't find myself underlining any passages, which is what I tend to do when the writing is especially beautiful. The story held my attention just fine, but it certainly wasn't amazing. Professor has affair with student, gets reprimanded, goes to live on farm with adult daughter. Father and daughter become victims of violence when the home is burglarized. Daughter is raped, he is injured. The story continues meandering... He works on writing an opera... He helps at an animal welfare clinic... When it ended, I was kind of like... HUH?

There is a lot said about this being a book set in post-apartheid South Africa. Frankly, I think it could have been set in Los Angeles, where race and power issues abound. The cultural elements are subtle--very subtle. If there were political statements being made, they flew right over my head along with any other deeper meanings in the story.

For me, the most moving element of this story is the dogs. I felt more attached to the animals in the story than I did any of the humans. That probably wasn't the author's intent, but that was my experience.

I'd love to hear from people who loved this book. Enlighten me! ( )
  KimHooperWrites | Mar 26, 2015 |
This is an interesting book that I'm finding it very hard to review. I shall borrow a line from another LT review that I think sums it up perfectly: "I can hardly remember being so detached from a book and yet unable to put it down."

That's exactly what is so lacking and yet so skilful about this book. The characters are very unlikable - the main protagonist is an immoral letch who made my skin crawl at times; his daughter Lucy, after enduring the most horrific of attacks, makes the most illogical, incomprehensible decisions about the rest of her life - and yet it is a page-turner.

There was never going to be a happy-ever-after ending to this book, but it was an interesting perspective on the shifting of power in South Africa post-apartheid, and of people and places bankrupt in moral code for a myriad of different reasons. This book is an observation on the bleak reality of life for some people, and why they sometimes make senseless decisions when faced with the bleak reality of the life choices they have made for themselves.

This novel has a lot of literary symbolism and perspective which I'm sure makes it an interesting text for literature review courses. At the basic level of pure reading enjoyment, I'm hovering on middle-ground. The writing was good, the plot unusual, and I was certainly gripped at times, but as soon as I finished the last page I felt instantly detached from the novel and ready to move on.

For that reason, 3.5 stars from me. ( )
  AlisonY | Mar 5, 2015 |
The book is written with Coetzee's accustomed steely restraint, and is, like all his work, a masterpiece of understatement. However, there is here what seems a new note of authorial irritation, not only, as might be expected, with the perennial intractability of language and the constraints of the novel form, but with the social changes that are occurring in his country, and in the world at large.
added by rsterling | editNew York Review of Books, John Banville (pay site) (Jan 20, 2000)

J. M. Coetzeeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Preis, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vosková, MonikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0143115286, Paperback)

David Lurie is hardly the hero of his own life, or anyone else's. At 52, the protagonist of Disgrace is at the end of his professional and romantic game, and seems to be deliberately courting disaster. Long a professor of modern languages at Cape Town University College, he has recently been relegated to adjunct professor of communications at the same institution, now pointedly renamed Cape Technical University:
Although he devotes hours of each day to his new discipline, he finds its first premise, as enunciated in the Communications 101 handbook, preposterous: "Human society has created language in order that we may communicate our thoughts, feelings and intentions to each other." His own opinion, which he does not air, is that the origins of speech lie in song, and the origins of song in the need to fill out with sound the overlarge and rather empty human soul.
Twice married and twice divorced, his magnetic looks on the wane, David rather cruelly seduces one of his students, and his conduct unbecoming is soon uncovered. In his eighth novel, J.M. Coetzee might have been content to write a searching academic satire. But in Disgrace he is intent on much more, and his art is as uncompromising as his main character, though infinitely more complex. Refusing to play the public-repentance game, David gets himself fired--a final gesture of contempt. Now, he thinks, he will write something on Byron's last years. Not empty, unread criticism, "prose measured by the yard," but a libretto. To do so, he heads for the Eastern Cape and his daughter's farm. In her mid-20s, Lucy has turned her back on city sophistications: with five hectares, she makes her living by growing flowers and produce and boarding dogs. "Nothing," David thinks, "could be more simple." But nothing, in fact, is more complicated--or, in the new South Africa, more dangerous. Far from being the refuge he has sought, little is safe in Salem. Just as David has settled into his temporary role as farmworker and unenthusiastic animal-shelter volunteer, he and Lucy are attacked by three black men. Unable to protect his daughter, David's disgrace is complete. Hers, however, is far worse.

There is much more to be explored in Coetzee's painful novel, and few consolations. It would be easy to pick up on his title and view Disgrace as a complicated working-out of personal and political shame and responsibility. But the author is concerned with his country's history, brutalities, and betrayals. Coetzee is also intent on what measure of soul and rights we allow animals. After the attack, David takes his role at the shelter more seriously, at last achieving an unlikely home and some measure of love. In Coetzee's recent Princeton lectures, The Lives of Animals, an aging novelist tells her audience that the question that occupies all lab and zoo creatures is, "Where is home, and how do I get there?" David, though still all-powerful compared to those he helps dispose of, is equally trapped, equally lost.

Disgrace is almost willfully plain. Yet it possesses its own lean, heartbreaking lyricism, most of all in its descriptions of unwanted animals. At the start of the novel, David tells his student that poetry either speaks instantly to the reader--"a flash of revelation and a flash of response"--or not at all. Coetzee's book speaks differently, its layers and sadnesses endlessly unfolding. --Kerry Fried

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:28 -0400)

At fifty-two Professor David Lurie is divorced, filled with desire but lacking in passion. An affair with one of his students leaves him jobless and friendless. Except for his daughter, Lucy, who works her smallholding with her neighbor, Petrus, an African farmer now on the way to a modest prosperity. David's attempts to relate to Lucy, and to a society with new racial complexities, are disrupted by an afternoon of violence that changes him and his daughter in ways he could never have foreseen. In this wry, visceral, yet strangely tender novel, Coetzee once again tells "truths [that] cut to the bone." (The New York Times Book Review)… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,436,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible